|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the witches say are their greatest pleasure in life?
2. How is the first witch offended in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The shopkeeper denies her money.
(b) The young maiden calls her ugly and useless.
(c) The soldier curses her and kicks stones at her.
(d) The sailor's wife will not share chestnuts with her.
3. What did Lennox tell Macbeth about the night of Duncan's murder?
(a) He was kept awake by strange noises and lamentations.
(b) He had horrendous dreams.
(c) He felt as if he had been drugged to sleep deep.
(d) He had never had a more peaceful night in his life.
4. What is Macbeth's first reaction to the witches?
(a) Surprised and disgusted.
(b) Amazed and terrified.
(c) Impatient and worried.
(d) Skeptical and unbelieving.
5. Who is speaking with the Old Man when he first appears on stage?
6. What do the witches vow to do at the beginning of the play?
(a) Meet again.
(b) Fool the soldiers.
(c) Confuse the messengers.
(d) Kill Macbeth.
7. In Act 1, Scene 4, in an aside to the audience, what does Macbeth say he is carrying?
(a) Black and deep desires.
(b) Ambitions unto death.
(c) Deep and dark secrets.
(d) A murderous heart.
8. Which of the following is NOT a strange anomaly seen by the old man?
(a) Darkness at noon day.
(b) Horses eating each other.
(c) A great falcon being killed by a mousing owl.
(d) Owls flying at noon.
9. in Act 1, Scene 3, what do the witches tell Macbeth he will become?
(a) The leader of the army.
(b) A rich duke.
(c) The king of England.
(d) The Thane of Cawdor.
10. What does Macbeth think his wife will do after she hears of Banquo's murder?
11. Which of these is NOT a guest at Macbeth's castle after the battle?
12. Who owns the victory of the battle between Scotland and its main enemy?
(a) The Norwegian King.
(d) The Thane of Cawdor.
13. How are Malcolm and Duncan related?
(a) Duncan is Malcolm's son.
(b) Malcom is Duncan's son.
(c) Malcolm is Duncan's nephew.
(d) Malcolm and Duncan are cousins.
14. Who is sent for to help the wounded sergeant in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A nurse.
(b) Another soldier.
(c) A surgeon.
15. What does Banquo say about Macbeth's castle when he first arrives there?
(a) It is pleasant and inviting.
(b) It is larger than he had anticipated.
(c) It is dark and dreary.
(d) It is fit for a king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Macbeth going to be crowned king?
2. Who does Banquo think killed Duncan?
3. Why is Macbeth plotting to kill Banquo at all?
4. What must the loser of the battle between Scotland and it's enemy do in order to bury their dead men?
5. What are the witches anticipating at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)