|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Macbeth say she would do before breaking a promise?
(a) Go mad.
(b) Kill her own child.
(c) Kill her husband.
(d) Kill herself.
2. Why is Macbeth plotting to kill Banquo at all?
(a) The prophecy of Banquo's sons becoming kings.
(b) His knowledge of his crimes.
(c) His disloyal heart.
(d) A passing reference to his belief in Macbeth murdering Duncan.
3. Who is the main enemy of Scotland at the time of this play?
4. What does Lady Macbeth plan after hearing about the prophecy from the witches?
(a) A list of enemies.
(b) New legislation.
(c) A feast.
(d) The murder of the king.
5. How does Banquo know that Macbeth will not remain king?
(a) Macbeth is sick.
(b) He thinks Macbeth will step down when he sees how hard it is to be king.
(c) Banquo's sons were prophecied to be kings.
(d) He had a dream of Macbeth's assassination.
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, why does the sergeant not finish telling Duncan of the battle?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He is too overcome with emotion.
(c) He dies.
(d) He faints from loss of blood.
7. Which of the following is NOT a strange anomaly seen by the old man?
(a) Horses eating each other.
(b) Darkness at noon day.
(c) Owls flying at noon.
(d) A great falcon being killed by a mousing owl.
8. How many witches are there?
9. What title does Duncan hold?
10. What does the first witch do to get her revenge on the person who offended her in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Curses the soldier with blindness in his next battle.
(b) Curses the young maiden with warts and boils.
(c) Curses the sailor with lack of sleep and fatigue.
(d) Curses the shop with bad produce and merchandice.
11. What do the witches vow to do at the beginning of the play?
(a) Meet again.
(b) Fool the soldiers.
(c) Confuse the messengers.
(d) Kill Macbeth.
12. Who does Banquo think killed Duncan?
(d) Lady Macbeth.
13. In Act 1, Scene 4, in an aside to the audience, what does Macbeth say he is carrying?
(a) A murderous heart.
(b) Ambitions unto death.
(c) Deep and dark secrets.
(d) Black and deep desires.
14. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(a) Dark and misty.
(b) Torrential rain.
(c) Lightning and thunder.
(d) Sunny and bright.
15. How old is the Old Man?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Macbeth going to be crowned king?
2. Who kills Banquo?
3. What does Lady Macbeth give the chamberlains to make them sleep?
4. What does Banquo suffer from on his first night in Macbeth's castle?
5. How does Macbeth refer to his wife after she hears about the prophecy from the witches?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)