|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Macbeth think his wife will do after she hears of Banquo's murder?
2. Which of the following is NOT a strange anomaly seen by the old man?
(a) Horses eating each other.
(b) A great falcon being killed by a mousing owl.
(c) Darkness at noon day.
(d) Owls flying at noon.
3. Who is speaking with the Old Man when he first appears on stage?
4. What does the first witch do to get her revenge on the person who offended her in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Curses the young maiden with warts and boils.
(b) Curses the sailor with lack of sleep and fatigue.
(c) Curses the soldier with blindness in his next battle.
(d) Curses the shop with bad produce and merchandice.
5. What is Lady Macbeth's reaction when she is told of the king's death the morning after?
(a) She acts shocked.
(b) She pretends to cry.
(c) She faints.
(d) She laughs.
6. How many witches are there?
7. What kind of land is featured in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. Who is the main enemy of Scotland at the time of this play?
9. Where does Donalbain go after Duncan's death?
10. Who do the witches plan to meet after parting in Act 1, Scene 1?
11. What is so surprising about the way Lady Macbeth treats the king when he arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) She did not seem nervous before.
(b) It appears she has changed her mind.
(c) She should be grateful to him.
(d) She is planning his murder.
12. What does a voice tell Macbeth he shall do no more after killing Duncan?
13. How old is the Old Man?
14. How is the first witch offended in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The young maiden calls her ugly and useless.
(b) The soldier curses her and kicks stones at her.
(c) The shopkeeper denies her money.
(d) The sailor's wife will not share chestnuts with her.
15. How is the Porter speaking of death when he first appears on stage?
(a) He is whispering strange tales of ghosts and demons.
(b) He is delivering a serious sermon.
(c) He is weeping about dead relatives of his.
(d) He is telling knock-knock jokes about death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to see the king dead?
2. What did Lennox tell Macbeth about the night of Duncan's murder?
3. What gave Lady Macbeth the courage to continue with her plot in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What news does Macbeth choose to not tell his wife after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What does Macbeth feel that Banquo has stripped him of?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)