|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the witches sense in the air in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Something hopeful.
(b) Something astonishing.
(c) Something unexpected.
(d) Something murky.
2. Why is Banquo not able to attend the banquet until nightfall?
(a) He needs some rest.
(b) He must attend to some important matters of state.
(c) He has to deliver the news of the new king ot the neighboring villages.
(d) He has a long ride to make.
3. Who is the main enemy of Scotland at the time of this play?
4. What did Lennox tell Macbeth about the night of Duncan's murder?
(a) He was kept awake by strange noises and lamentations.
(b) He had never had a more peaceful night in his life.
(c) He had horrendous dreams.
(d) He felt as if he had been drugged to sleep deep.
5. Who is the hero of the battle between Scotland and its main enemy?
(d) The Thane of Cawdor.
6. What happens to the original Thane of Cawdor?
(a) He is to be executed.
(b) He is killed in battle.
(c) He flees the country.
(d) He commits suicide rather than be taken prisoner.
7. What color does Macbeth say he shall make the green sea?
8. Who owns the victory of the battle between Scotland and its main enemy?
(a) The Thane of Cawdor.
(d) The Norwegian King.
9. How does Lady Macbeth act when the king arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) Confused and nervous.
(b) Sweet and shy.
(c) Cold and harsh.
(d) Warm and inviting.
10. When do the witches want to meet?
(a) The dawn before Macbeth's death.
(b) Before the sun sets.
(c) At the turn of the year.
(d) After a mighty battle.
11. What does Banquo acknowledge in his soliloquy at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) His fear of being murdered next.
(b) His grief over Duncan's death.
(c) The truthfulness of the witches' prophecy.
(d) His suspicion of Macbeth.
12. What does Lady Macbeth plan after hearing about the prophecy from the witches?
(a) A list of enemies.
(b) A feast.
(c) New legislation.
(d) The murder of the king.
13. What does Macbeth see in a vision just as he is about to murder the king?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A crown.
(c) A spear.
(d) A dagger.
14. in Act 1, Scene 3, what do the witches tell Macbeth he will become?
(a) The leader of the army.
(b) The king of England.
(c) A rich duke.
(d) The Thane of Cawdor.
15. What is Macbeth's first reaction to the witches?
(a) Surprised and disgusted.
(b) Amazed and terrified.
(c) Impatient and worried.
(d) Skeptical and unbelieving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is this play set?
2. What does a voice tell Macbeth he shall do no more after killing Duncan?
3. What is Lady Macbeth assured of after Banquo rides away from the castle in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Who offends the first witch in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What gave Lady Macbeth the courage to continue with her plot in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)