|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is assisting the main enemy of Scotland at the time of this play?
(b) The Thane of Cawdor.
(c) The Witches.
2. What does Malcolm tell Duncan of the Thane of Cawdor just before the new Thane is named?
(a) He is still dangerous even in death.
(b) His men still honor him.
(c) He died with dignity.
(d) He ran like a dog.
3. Who is sent for to help the wounded sergeant in Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) A surgeon.
(c) Another soldier.
(d) A nurse.
4. Which of the following is NOT a strange anomaly seen by the old man?
(a) A great falcon being killed by a mousing owl.
(b) Owls flying at noon.
(c) Darkness at noon day.
(d) Horses eating each other.
5. How is the Porter speaking of death when he first appears on stage?
(a) He is delivering a serious sermon.
(b) He is weeping about dead relatives of his.
(c) He is telling knock-knock jokes about death.
(d) He is whispering strange tales of ghosts and demons.
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, why does the sergeant not finish telling Duncan of the battle?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is too overcome with emotion.
(c) He faints from loss of blood.
(d) He falls asleep.
7. What does Duncan say gave Macbeth speed after the battle?
(a) Fear for the safety of his family.
(b) Love for his wife.
(d) Joy of his new appointment.
8. What two reasons does Macbeth give for not wanting to kill Duncan?
(a) The prophecy will come true on its own, and he is likely to be caught.
(b) Macbeth is his host and he is a kinsman.
(c) Lady Macbeth is crazy, and Duncan loves them both.
(d) Duncan is the king and Macbeth loves him.
9. What title is Malcolm given after the battle is over?
(a) Prince of Cumberland.
(b) King of Scotland.
(c) Thane of Cawdor.
(d) Duke of Greenwich.
10. When do the witches want to meet?
(a) At the turn of the year.
(b) Before the sun sets.
(c) After a mighty battle.
(d) The dawn before Macbeth's death.
11. In Act 1, Scene 4, in an aside to the audience, what does Macbeth say he is carrying?
(a) Deep and dark secrets.
(b) Black and deep desires.
(c) Ambitions unto death.
(d) A murderous heart.
12. Why is Macbeth plotting to kill Banquo at all?
(a) His disloyal heart.
(b) A passing reference to his belief in Macbeth murdering Duncan.
(c) The prophecy of Banquo's sons becoming kings.
(d) His knowledge of his crimes.
13. What color does Macbeth say he shall make the green sea?
14. How does Lady Macbeth act when the king arrives at her castle in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) Confused and nervous.
(b) Cold and harsh.
(c) Sweet and shy.
(d) Warm and inviting.
15. How does Lady Macbeth hear about the prophecy of the witches?
(a) Duncan tells her about it.
(b) One of the witches comes to tell her.
(c) She sees it in a dream.
(d) Her husband writes a letter about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Macbeth's castle?
2. Who of the following is NOT found in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Where does Donalbain go after Duncan's death?
4. How are Banquo and Fleance related?
5. What is Macbeth's first reaction to the witches?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)