|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the prayer is finished, ________________ goes out of the scene.
2. The Female Leader pretends to find a _____________ in the Male Leader's hair and to take it out.
3. Who offers to wait around to help Myrrhine with the actions she must take?
4. One of the Spartans speaks in a long verse that praises _________________.
5. What is NOT one of the things that Myrrhine runs back and forth to fetch from the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
Essay Topic 2
War is another of the many themes touched upon in the play "Lysistrata." The men are battling and the women begin to battle the men.
Part 1: Why is war such an important part of Greek society?
Part 2: Do you think a society will ever be able to abstain from war completely? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think war is such an important part of the world today? Or is it?
Essay Topic 3
What's compelling about this play is that in the quest for peace, the women fight with the men - which seems to be a contradiction.
Part 1: Does one always have to fight for peace? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the women thought it was okay to fight the men to get what they wanted?
Part 3: Do you think the women are being hypocritical in fighting the men on their journey toward peace? Why or why not?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)