|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women are also complaining about the noise of the __________ when they come out to talk to Lysistrata.
2. The Commissioner notes that a lot of double dealing happens when the people are ___________.
3. Myrrhine says that she will come back if Kinesias stops the ___________.
4. What is the slave carrying when the scene begins in this part of the play?
5. Where does the Commissioner say he will work to negotiate for peace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle between men and women is the main conflict of the play, but this is not a theme which is limited to this time period.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the battle between the sexes?
Part 2: Why is the battle of the sexes something that continues in modern times?
Part 3: Do you think the battle of the sexes can ever be won? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
War is another of the many themes touched upon in the play "Lysistrata." The men are battling and the women begin to battle the men.
Part 1: Why is war such an important part of Greek society?
Part 2: Do you think a society will ever be able to abstain from war completely? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think war is such an important part of the world today? Or is it?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)