|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kinesias wearing when he walks into the scene at this part?
2. The Chorus of Women notes that ____________ might not actually be able to find anything if they come to look.
3. What does Kinesias say he will do when he becomes more and more frustrated with Myrrhine?
4. As Lysistrata talks with the ______________, some of the women try to run away.
5. Where does the Commissioner say he will work to negotiate for peace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex seems to be the main theme and struggle of the play - after all, the women are holding back sexual favors to get their way.
Part 1: Do you think the idea of withholding sex is a good idea to promote peace?
Part 2: Do you think the withholding of sex would work in modern times? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that the women decided that sex was the only way to create peace?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, the women prove to be wittier than the men during a verbal exchange.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have the women be wittier in this play?
Part 2: Do you think wit or strength is more important during conflict? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the men are being treated unfairly in this play? Like caricatures of themselves in their gender role? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Quite often in this play, there are double entendres included in order to continue to support the discussion of sex and its power.
Part 1: Why do you think the play continues to use double entendres as the action reveals itself?
Part 2: Why do you think double entendres are used in modern society?
Part 3: Why do you think sex can not be spoken of plainly in the play and in the modern world?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)