|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the males offer up as a sign of power for men after praising the man in the story?
2. As Lysistrata talks with the ______________, some of the women try to run away.
3. The Female Leader tells the Male Leader he looks more like a ____________ than ever.
4. Kinesias joins the Male Chorus in offering up a verse to the God _____________ to end his pain.
5. The Commissioner orders the ____________ to move along, saying the Spartans need to pass.
Essay Topic 1
At one point, the women prove to be wittier than the men during a verbal exchange.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have the women be wittier in this play?
Part 2: Do you think wit or strength is more important during conflict? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the men are being treated unfairly in this play? Like caricatures of themselves in their gender role? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the subject matter might seem a bit dark and serious at times, it seems that this play is considered a comedy.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is actually considered to be a comedy?
Part 2: Do you think the comedic parts support or diminish the themes of this play? Why?
Part 3: Would you consider this play to be a comedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Had the roles of the genders been switched in this story, the reactions to this play would be much different.
Part 1: How do you think the play would have changed if the men were withholding sex from the women?
Part 2: Do you think the play would have been as strong if the women had been more submissive?
Part 3: Why do you think the women are seen as being powerful for taking charge, though if it had been the men, this may not have been the case?
This section contains 1,708 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)