|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the item(s) that Kinesias is wearing signify him as being frustrated about?
2. The Male Leader comes into the scene to complain about the _________ of women.
3. When Myrrhine begins to _____________, she asks her husband whether he will vote to end the war.
4. Lysistrata tells everyone to be careful and to not let this situation ___________ again.
5. What does Kinesias call sex - the Rites of _______________.
Essay Topic 1
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
Essay Topic 2
Within the play, the women and men fight for their 'rights' in society - women to have freedom and men to have power.
Part 1: Why do you think women feel they need to have more freedom now?
Part 2: Why do you think the men believe women's freedom is immoral?
Part 3: In fighting to have more, each of the genders seems to play into the stereotypes placed upon them. Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Though the women are looking to have more freedom and to have peace in the area, they seem to be going about it by playing on stereotypes they're trying to dismiss.
Part 1: Why did the women choose sex as the bargaining chip in the fight for peace?
Part 2: Do you think tempting the men is a strong way of showing the men that they are the more powerful sex? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does the idea of women using lust to gain power seem to support feminism or not? Why?
This section contains 1,712 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)