|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Myrrhine appear when she finally sees Kinesias as he approaches the building?
2. The Commissioner tells the Messenger to go to _________________ and tell the government to negotiate for peace.
3. Who does Kinesias want to see when he approaches the building and Lysistrata?
4. Who does the baby go home with when Kinesias and Myrrhine are talking with each other?
5. The _________ tells Lysistrata that the men of Greece have all agreed to her terms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Had the roles of the genders been switched in this story, the reactions to this play would be much different.
Part 1: How do you think the play would have changed if the men were withholding sex from the women?
Part 2: Do you think the play would have been as strong if the women had been more submissive?
Part 3: Why do you think the women are seen as being powerful for taking charge, though if it had been the men, this may not have been the case?
Essay Topic 2
Sex seems to be the main theme and struggle of the play - after all, the women are holding back sexual favors to get their way.
Part 1: Do you think the idea of withholding sex is a good idea to promote peace?
Part 2: Do you think the withholding of sex would work in modern times? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that the women decided that sex was the only way to create peace?
Essay Topic 3
Quite often in this play, there are double entendres included in order to continue to support the discussion of sex and its power.
Part 1: Why do you think the play continues to use double entendres as the action reveals itself?
Part 2: Why do you think double entendres are used in modern society?
Part 3: Why do you think sex can not be spoken of plainly in the play and in the modern world?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)