|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Female Leader promises the Male Leader she will free the ____________ in him.
2. The ________ bangs on the door of the Akropolis and demands to be admitted.
3. What do the males offer up as a sign of power for men after praising the man in the story?
4. Lysistrata is upset because it seems that the women want to ____________.
5. The Male Chorus speaks in verse and tells a story about a ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
Essay Topic 2
While the subject matter might seem a bit dark and serious at times, it seems that this play is considered a comedy.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is actually considered to be a comedy?
Part 2: Do you think the comedic parts support or diminish the themes of this play? Why?
Part 3: Would you consider this play to be a comedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Magistrate, when he comes in, starts by demeaning the women in order to get them to see reason.
Part 1: Why do you think the Magistrate feels the actions of the women need to stop?
Part 2: Why do you think the Magistrate tries to demean the women? Does he really think it will work?
Part 3: What do you think of the Magistrate? Is this an example of a powerful man? Why or why not?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)