|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lysistrata is upset because it seems that the women want to ____________.
2. What else does the Male Chorus want to end, as told in their cries to the god?
3. The __________ negotiate which parts of the country each city will control, using Peace's body.
4. The Chorus of Women notes that ____________ might not actually be able to find anything if they come to look.
5. One of the Spartans speaks in a long verse that praises _________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex seems to be the main theme and struggle of the play - after all, the women are holding back sexual favors to get their way.
Part 1: Do you think the idea of withholding sex is a good idea to promote peace?
Part 2: Do you think the withholding of sex would work in modern times? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that the women decided that sex was the only way to create peace?
Essay Topic 2
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
Essay Topic 3
Had the roles of the genders been switched in this story, the reactions to this play would be much different.
Part 1: How do you think the play would have changed if the men were withholding sex from the women?
Part 2: Do you think the play would have been as strong if the women had been more submissive?
Part 3: Why do you think the women are seen as being powerful for taking charge, though if it had been the men, this may not have been the case?
This section contains 1,716 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)