|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When _____________ reads the parchment, the women are convinced and see her point.
2. The Chorus of Women notes that ____________ might not actually be able to find anything if they come to look.
3. The __________ negotiate which parts of the country each city will control, using Peace's body.
4. Lysistrata and Peace go back to ___________ as the men run off to get ready for the events.
5. The Commissioner tells the Messenger to go to _________________ and tell the government to negotiate for peace.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
Essay Topic 2
While the subject matter might seem a bit dark and serious at times, it seems that this play is considered a comedy.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is actually considered to be a comedy?
Part 2: Do you think the comedic parts support or diminish the themes of this play? Why?
Part 3: Would you consider this play to be a comedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The battle between men and women is the main conflict of the play, but this is not a theme which is limited to this time period.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the battle between the sexes?
Part 2: Why is the battle of the sexes something that continues in modern times?
Part 3: Do you think the battle of the sexes can ever be won? Why or why not?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)