Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______________ tells the Spartans and the Athenians to take their women back home.
2. Who comes out of the Akropolis, drunk and belligerent when the door is pounded upon?
3. The Male Chorus speaks in verse and tells a story about a ____________.
4. What is NOT one of the things Kinesias feels Myrrhine should be ashamed of since she has left?
5. _____________ says that women may be hairless, but they are still mighty.
Essay Topic 1
Beyond the idea of gender differences, the play also tackles the more general theme of power and of control.
Part 1: Why are the women concerned that the men have more control or power in society?
Part 2: Why are the men interested in being in control over the women?
Part 3: Do you think the theme of control and power are applicable to today's society? Why or why not? In what ways, if so?
Essay Topic 2
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)