|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women treat the men to a ___________________ and each goes home with her husband.
2. The person in the story from the Female Chorus still loves ____________.
3. Lysistrata tells everyone to dance to the glory of the ____________ now.
4. What does Kinesias say he will do when he becomes more and more frustrated with Myrrhine?
5. Kinesias eagerly urges Myrrhine to __________ with him, but she stalls him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the play, one can begin to see what the author, Aristophanes, thought about women as well.
Part 1: Why do you think a woman was chosen to be the main character of this play?
Part 2: How is Lysistrata portrayed in this play? Is she strong and powerful or weak and manipulative?
Part 3: Do you think Aristophanes has a positive opinion of women? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the subject matter might seem a bit dark and serious at times, it seems that this play is considered a comedy.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is actually considered to be a comedy?
Part 2: Do you think the comedic parts support or diminish the themes of this play? Why?
Part 3: Would you consider this play to be a comedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The battle between men and women is the main conflict of the play, but this is not a theme which is limited to this time period.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the battle between the sexes?
Part 2: Why is the battle of the sexes something that continues in modern times?
Part 3: Do you think the battle of the sexes can ever be won? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,706 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)