|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lysistrata reminds Myrrhine that it is her __________ to get her husband all hot and bothered.
2. The women begin to offer Lysistrata excuses why they need to be __________ instead of there.
3. Myrrhine says that she _________ Kinesias, but she also realizes that he does not love her.
4. The male figure in the story goes out into the forest in order to avoid ____________.
5. Who accompanies Lysistrata when she is called into the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, the women prove to be wittier than the men during a verbal exchange.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have the women be wittier in this play?
Part 2: Do you think wit or strength is more important during conflict? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the men are being treated unfairly in this play? Like caricatures of themselves in their gender role? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the subject matter might seem a bit dark and serious at times, it seems that this play is considered a comedy.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is actually considered to be a comedy?
Part 2: Do you think the comedic parts support or diminish the themes of this play? Why?
Part 3: Would you consider this play to be a comedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Through the play, one can begin to see what the author, Aristophanes, thought about women as well.
Part 1: Why do you think a woman was chosen to be the main character of this play?
Part 2: How is Lysistrata portrayed in this play? Is she strong and powerful or weak and manipulative?
Part 3: Do you think Aristophanes has a positive opinion of women? Why or why not?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)