|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____________ says she understands that the women are lonely, but that they must be strong.
2. The person in the story from the Female Chorus still loves ____________.
3. Who is the person who is coming up the temple and is seen by Lysistrata?
4. Whose husband has approached the women as they are waiting for battle?
5. The Commissioner tells the Messenger to go to _________________ and tell the government to negotiate for peace.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beyond the idea of gender differences, the play also tackles the more general theme of power and of control.
Part 1: Why are the women concerned that the men have more control or power in society?
Part 2: Why are the men interested in being in control over the women?
Part 3: Do you think the theme of control and power are applicable to today's society? Why or why not? In what ways, if so?
Essay Topic 2
Though the women are looking to have more freedom and to have peace in the area, they seem to be going about it by playing on stereotypes they're trying to dismiss.
Part 1: Why did the women choose sex as the bargaining chip in the fight for peace?
Part 2: Do you think tempting the men is a strong way of showing the men that they are the more powerful sex? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does the idea of women using lust to gain power seem to support feminism or not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Lysistrata is a character few people can forget after reading this play.
Part 1: Why do you think Lysistrata believes that only women can help to bring peace to the society?
Part 2: What might have motivated Lysistrata to be the one to be in charge of this new plan?
Part 3: Do you think you would have followed Lysistrata if you were a part of the society of the time?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)