|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus of Women speak of the bounty of ______________ things they have in their homes.
2. What does Lysistrata see when she is standing where she is, calling the others to battle?
3. Who is the person who is coming up the temple and is seen by Lysistrata?
4. Who sends all of the women back inside in order to restore order to the movement?
5. Whose husband has approached the women as they are waiting for battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women withholding sex from the men is more of a punchline in today's society, as evidenced by the jokes in sitcoms and movies.
Part 1: Why do you think women are seen as having more power in the sexual gratification of men?
Part 2: What do you think might happen if women were to withhold sex from men today?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair that women have so much power to control sexual encounters in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
Essay Topic 3
Through the play, one can begin to see what the author, Aristophanes, thought about women as well.
Part 1: Why do you think a woman was chosen to be the main character of this play?
Part 2: How is Lysistrata portrayed in this play? Is she strong and powerful or weak and manipulative?
Part 3: Do you think Aristophanes has a positive opinion of women? Why or why not?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)