|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus of Men talk about how much ___________ they have and that anybody can come to collect it.
2. What else does the Male Chorus want to end, as told in their cries to the god?
3. What does Kinesias call sex - the Rites of _______________.
4. Lysistrata reminds Myrrhine that it is her __________ to get her husband all hot and bothered.
5. The Commissioner jokes about whether the Messenger is carrying a ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle between men and women is the main conflict of the play, but this is not a theme which is limited to this time period.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the battle between the sexes?
Part 2: Why is the battle of the sexes something that continues in modern times?
Part 3: Do you think the battle of the sexes can ever be won? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Had the roles of the genders been switched in this story, the reactions to this play would be much different.
Part 1: How do you think the play would have changed if the men were withholding sex from the women?
Part 2: Do you think the play would have been as strong if the women had been more submissive?
Part 3: Why do you think the women are seen as being powerful for taking charge, though if it had been the men, this may not have been the case?
Essay Topic 3
Many people don't realize that Lysistrata and Myrrhine may actually refer to real women in the history of Greece.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have potentially real characters used in his play?
Part 2: Does the addition of real people to the play strengthen the play or weaken it? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the addition of real people show the affects of the play's actions on society of the time?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)