|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Lysistrata run, clearly upset by the events which have taken place?
2. The Female Leader tells the Male Leader he looks more like a ____________ than ever.
3. The women are also complaining about the noise of the __________ when they come out to talk to Lysistrata.
4. Where does the Commissioner say he will work to negotiate for peace?
5. Kinesias comes in with the Athenians and demands to see ________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Magistrate, when he comes in, starts by demeaning the women in order to get them to see reason.
Part 1: Why do you think the Magistrate feels the actions of the women need to stop?
Part 2: Why do you think the Magistrate tries to demean the women? Does he really think it will work?
Part 3: What do you think of the Magistrate? Is this an example of a powerful man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Women withholding sex from the men is more of a punchline in today's society, as evidenced by the jokes in sitcoms and movies.
Part 1: Why do you think women are seen as having more power in the sexual gratification of men?
Part 2: What do you think might happen if women were to withhold sex from men today?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair that women have so much power to control sexual encounters in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)