|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______________ tells the Spartans and the Athenians to take their women back home.
2. __________ advances from the Male Chorus to talk about how mighty the man in the story is.
3. The women treat the men to a ___________________ and each goes home with her husband.
4. The Chorus of Men warn that there is an angry __________ that will attack anybody.
5. What else does the Male Chorus want to end, as told in their cries to the god?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Had the roles of the genders been switched in this story, the reactions to this play would be much different.
Part 1: How do you think the play would have changed if the men were withholding sex from the women?
Part 2: Do you think the play would have been as strong if the women had been more submissive?
Part 3: Why do you think the women are seen as being powerful for taking charge, though if it had been the men, this may not have been the case?
Essay Topic 2
It seems that in this play, appearance is something which matters more to the characters than it seems.
Part 1: Why do the women and the men slowly strip down their clothing when they are getting ready for battle?
Part 2: Why does Lysistrata dress up the Magistrate during a scene of the play?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about clothes and appearance in this play? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 3
At one point, the women prove to be wittier than the men during a verbal exchange.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have the women be wittier in this play?
Part 2: Do you think wit or strength is more important during conflict? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the men are being treated unfairly in this play? Like caricatures of themselves in their gender role? Why or why not?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)