|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________ bangs on the door of the Akropolis and demands to be admitted.
2. The male figure in the story goes out into the forest in order to avoid ____________.
3. The __________ negotiate which parts of the country each city will control, using Peace's body.
4. Who does Kinesias want to see when he approaches the building and Lysistrata?
5. What does Kinesias say he will do when he becomes more and more frustrated with Myrrhine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, the women prove to be wittier than the men during a verbal exchange.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have the women be wittier in this play?
Part 2: Do you think wit or strength is more important during conflict? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the men are being treated unfairly in this play? Like caricatures of themselves in their gender role? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Beyond the idea of gender differences, the play also tackles the more general theme of power and of control.
Part 1: Why are the women concerned that the men have more control or power in society?
Part 2: Why are the men interested in being in control over the women?
Part 3: Do you think the theme of control and power are applicable to today's society? Why or why not? In what ways, if so?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)