|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______________ tells Lysistrata that a peace oath can not be sworn on the item from #28.
2. The Commissioner says that as ____________, they are responsible for what is happening.
3. The Male Leader tells the men of the Chorus, they must go to the _____________ in order to regain control.
4. The _______________ pour out of the temple, overwhelming the Commissioner and the men.
5. Who is NOT one of the women who complain that since the men have been at war, they've hardly been home at all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Magistrate condemn the Chorus for doing at the start of this scene?
2. What does Kinesias say about the condition of the baby that the slave is carrying?
3. How do the men vow to fight the women, even though their bodies ache and the smoke makes them choke?
4. What is the long story that the Magistrate tells at the start of the scene supposed to illustrate?
5. What does Lysistrata think will happen if the women of Greece take control?
6. What does the Female Leader suggest now that peace is at hand, which the Male Leader initially refuses?
7. What does Lysistrata tell the Spartans and the Athenians to do when they all come out of the Temple?
8. What is the Messenger from Sparta trying to conceal underneath his cloak when he walks in?
9. What is the story the Female Chorus tells in rebuttal of the men's story about the hunter?
10. What does Lampito demand from Lysistrata when she arrives at the meeting Lysistrata has called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women withholding sex from the men is more of a punchline in today's society, as evidenced by the jokes in sitcoms and movies.
Part 1: Why do you think women are seen as having more power in the sexual gratification of men?
Part 2: What do you think might happen if women were to withhold sex from men today?
Part 3: Do you think it's fair that women have so much power to control sexual encounters in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Money is another theme that seems to take up a lot of energy in this play, with the women taking over the Treasury as well.
Part 1: Why do you think the women decided that the Treasury might also impact the peace efforts?
Part 2: What do you think the play is trying to say about the roles of sex and money in society? Why?
Part 3: Do you think sex or money has more power in society? Why?
Essay Topic 3
While the subject matter might seem a bit dark and serious at times, it seems that this play is considered a comedy.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is actually considered to be a comedy?
Part 2: Do you think the comedic parts support or diminish the themes of this play? Why?
Part 3: Would you consider this play to be a comedy? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)