|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Female Leader notice from the men's pots so she tells the women to stop?
2. The Male Leader tells the men of the Chorus, they must go to the _____________ in order to regain control.
3. The Male and Female Chorus Leaders argue about who has the right to ____________, men or women.
4. _____________ says she will bring he men of Sparta over to her plan, and then the plan can be extended.
5. The Male Leader tells the men they must retake the ____________ and teach the women a lesson.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kinesias say about the condition of the baby that the slave is carrying?
2. What does the Male Leader say to the men as they are walking into the scene?
3. What do to the women talk about as they prepare for battle with the men?
4. Who is Kinesias followed by when he comes into the Temple?
5. Why does Kinesias think that Myrrhine should be ashamed of herself?
6. What does the Male Leader do when he approaches the Female Leader?
7. What does the Commissioner credit with helping the talks that have taken place in the Akropolis?
8. What is the Messenger from Sparta trying to conceal underneath his cloak when he walks in?
9. What does Kinesias plead for when he is talking to Lysistrata during this scene?
10. What does Lysistrata say that she and all the other women have already heard of Kinesias?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Magistrate, when he comes in, starts by demeaning the women in order to get them to see reason.
Part 1: Why do you think the Magistrate feels the actions of the women need to stop?
Part 2: Why do you think the Magistrate tries to demean the women? Does he really think it will work?
Part 3: What do you think of the Magistrate? Is this an example of a powerful man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, the women prove to be wittier than the men during a verbal exchange.
Part 1: Why do you think Aristophanes decided to have the women be wittier in this play?
Part 2: Do you think wit or strength is more important during conflict? Why?
Part 3: Do you think the men are being treated unfairly in this play? Like caricatures of themselves in their gender role? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)