|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Male Leader tells the men they must retake the ____________ and teach the women a lesson.
2. Who is NOT one of the women who complain that since the men have been at war, they've hardly been home at all?
3. Lysistrata lets the women know there is already a group of older ___________ women waiting for her signal.
4. As the wine is poured, the women in the group comment about how much it looks like _____________.
5. Lysistrata explains that withholding the _____________ means the men will be unable to go to war.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Male Leader tell the rest of the Chorus they have to do in order to teach the women a lesson?
2. What happens as the officers attempt to arrest the women who are blocking the way to the Akropolis?
3. What are the Chorus of Men carrying when they enter the scene at the beginning of Part 2?
4. What does Lysistrata tell the women when she says she understands they are lonely?
5. What does Lysistrata remind the Commissioner when the women overwhelm the officers at the Akropolis?
6. What does Lysistrata hear when she asks the women what they think of their men being at war?
7. What happens when the Chorus of Men take off their cloaks at the start of the scene?
8. What does the Female Leader suggest now that peace is at hand, which the Male Leader initially refuses?
9. What happens when the Male Leader bangs on the door of the Akropolis?
10. How do the men vow to fight the women, even though their bodies ache and the smoke makes them choke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex seems to be the main theme and struggle of the play - after all, the women are holding back sexual favors to get their way.
Part 1: Do you think the idea of withholding sex is a good idea to promote peace?
Part 2: Do you think the withholding of sex would work in modern times? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that the women decided that sex was the only way to create peace?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different points at which Aristophanes uses symbolism in his play.
Part 1: What do you think the symbolism of the men carrying wood and fire is? Why?
Part 2: What do you think the symbolism of the women carrying water in pitchers is? Why?
Part 3: How might the scene in which the women douse the men with water be interpreted on a symbolic level? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Had the roles of the genders been switched in this story, the reactions to this play would be much different.
Part 1: How do you think the play would have changed if the men were withholding sex from the women?
Part 2: Do you think the play would have been as strong if the women had been more submissive?
Part 3: Why do you think the women are seen as being powerful for taking charge, though if it had been the men, this may not have been the case?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)