|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Mekong river?
2. How did Johnson define the term "Great Society"?
3. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr. organize a march in 1965?
4. What political figure was assassinated in 1968?
5. What did Johnson ask of Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois in "The Transition Year"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Tet offensive and how did it affect Johnson?
2. What did Johnson say was the reason he could not let the Communists take over the South Vietnam?
3. What were some of the events that took place as the peace movement got underway in 1968?
4. What role did the congressional liaison team play in Johnson's administration?
5. What caused Great Society programs to fail in the mid-1960s?
6. How did Johnson feel about Richard Nixon cutting his Great Society programs?
7. How did Johnson calm the American public after Kennedy's assassination?
8. Why did pilots find it difficult to find targets during the Vietnam war?
9. When did Johnson learn that he did not have middle America's support for his policies?
10. What reasons did Johnson give Robert Kennedy for not choosing Kennedy to be on the presidential ticket with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Johnson come to be termed a liar in his handling of the Vietnam war? Why was he secretive with Congress and the American public? How did that secrecy become his undoing in the end?
Essay Topic 2
As President, what did Johnson think about reporters? How did he try to control the media so that he would get the most favorable stories and coverage? What was his attitude toward press conferences?
Essay Topic 3
Johnson campaign for President in 1964 "went exactly as planned." What made this campaign so successful? How was he perceived by the American public as he stumped for votes? What issues and promises did he run on?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)