|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Johnson avoid meetings with the National Security Council in "Under Siege in the White House"?
2. Who was inaugurated on January 20, 1969?
3. What did Johnson want most from his advisers in "Under Siege in the White House"?
4. How many American soldiers were killed when the Vietcong guerrillas raided a U.S. advisers' barracks in Pleiku on February 6, 1965?
5. What does Tet mean in Vietnamese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the results of the Presidential Election of 1964.
2. What did Johnson say was the reason he could not let the Communists take over the South Vietnam?
3. How did Johnson feel about Richard Nixon cutting his Great Society programs?
4. Why did Johnson stop meeting with his National Security Council when he was under siege?
5. What was Johnson's approach to dealing with the media as President?
6. How did Johnson respond when Robert Kennedy entered the Democratic Presidential primaries in 1967?
7. How did Johnson follow through on getting Kennedy's civil rights legislation passed?
8. Why did pilots find it difficult to find targets during the Vietnam war?
9. Why did Johnson keep the public and Congress uninformed about his actions in Vietnam in 1965?
10. Who was Eugene McCarthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Johnson's relationship with his parents when he was growing up. What did his parents expect of him, and how did these expectations shape him? Provide specific examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of control as it pertains to Johnson's leadership style. How did Johnson dominate his cabinet and staff when he was President? What practices did he put into place to secure his control? Why did he think this was necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the dreams that haunted Johnson during his Presidential years. What do they reveal about his fears and insecurities as a leader? How do these dreams connect to his childhood fears? Provide specific examples to explain your analysis.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)