|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What 1960s movie did the author watch with Johnson at his ranch in Texas that Johnson disliked?
2. According to the author in "The Great Society," what did Johnson equate predictability with?
3. What did Johnson want most from his advisers in "Under Siege in the White House"?
4. In June 1965, what was Johnson insisting upon about America's involvement in Vietnam?
5. What was the Economic Opportunity Act?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnson first define the term "Great Society"?
2. What did Johnson say was the reason he could not let the Communists take over the South Vietnam?
3. Describe the results of the Presidential Election of 1964.
4. How did Johnson respond when Robert Kennedy entered the Democratic Presidential primaries in 1967?
5. Why did pilots find it difficult to find targets during the Vietnam war?
6. How did Johnson calm the American public after Kennedy's assassination?
7. What was Johnson's approach to dealing with the media as President?
8. Why did Johnson increase ground troops in Vietnam in 1965?
9. What was Johnson's first reaction to the Watts, Los Angeles riots in August, 1965?
10. Why did Johnson keep the public and Congress uninformed about his actions in Vietnam in 1965?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Johnson call Robert Kennedy "his worst nightmare"? What criticism was Kennedy making about Johnson's war policy? What did Johnson think about Kennedy's popularity in the 1968 Democratic primaries?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Johnson's grandfather provide him with a source of unconditional love? What did Johnson like about visiting him on a daily basis? Did his grandfather act as an important role model in his life? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Using the Civil Rights Act and NASA as two examples, discuss how Johnson was an effective mediator and champion for historic initiatives in 1957. How did he see these two initiatives as necessary to a stronger America? What actions did he take to champion these causes?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)