|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johnson want most from his advisers in "Under Siege in the White House"?
2. What job did Robert McNamara take in 1967?
3. What was Richard McNamara's title in the Johnson Administration in 1966?
4. What role did Robert Kennedy fill under the Johnson Administration?
5. Where was Johnson on election day in 1964 when the results came in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnson say was the reason he could not let the Communists take over the South Vietnam?
2. In what ways did Johnson assert his control over his staff and cabinet?
3. How did Johnson first define the term "Great Society"?
4. What caused Great Society programs to fail in the mid-1960s?
5. How did Johnson follow through on getting Kennedy's civil rights legislation passed?
6. How did Johnson feel about Richard Nixon cutting his Great Society programs?
7. How did Johnson respond when Robert Kennedy entered the Democratic Presidential primaries in 1967?
8. How did inflation and the war affect Johnson's approval ratings between 1966 and 1968?
9. What were some of the events that took place as the peace movement got underway in 1968?
10. Describe the results of the Presidential Election of 1964.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of control as it pertains to Johnson's leadership style. How did Johnson dominate his cabinet and staff when he was President? What practices did he put into place to secure his control? Why did he think this was necessary?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Johnson's grandfather provide him with a source of unconditional love? What did Johnson like about visiting him on a daily basis? Did his grandfather act as an important role model in his life? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Johnson's work ethic throughout his life. How did he always choose to learn as much as he could about a job? How did he push himself and make others work harder?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)