|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rebekah Baines pride herself on?
2. What was the name of the space program that Johnson's congressional initiatives resulted in?
3. Who was Cecil Evans?
4. What impassioned plea did Humphrey make at the 1948 Democratic Convention?
5. What did Johnson's Republican opponent accuse him of in the election for Senator in "The Making of a Politician"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Johnson annoyed when the Democratic National Committee created an Advisory Committee in 1958?
2. Describe Johnson's heart attack.
3. Why did the relationship between Johnson and Carol Davis fail?
4. As a young Senator, why did Johnson want the position of Democratic Party Whip?
5. Describe Johnson's courtship of Lady Bird.
6. What competitive changes did Johnson bring to the Mexican-American school he taught at in Cotulla?
7. How did Johnson conduct his campaign for Democratic nomination for president in 1960?
8. As Majority Leader, why did Johnson dislike press conferences?
9. What happened when Johnson made a speech for Pat Neff at the political picnic in Henley, Texas?
10. Why was Johnson uncertain about running for the office of US Senator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Johnson's experience at San Marcos College set the stage for his success in life? How did he work harder and longer than others to achieve his goals? In what way did he influence the student population in a positive way?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the dreams that haunted Johnson during his Presidential years. What do they reveal about his fears and insecurities as a leader? How do these dreams connect to his childhood fears? Provide specific examples to explain your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Johnson's role as President after John F. Kennedy was assassinated. What was he aware of and sensitive about regarding the public's love of Kennedy? Did he create a smooth transition for the American public? How?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)