|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Johnson go to college in 1927?
2. Where was Lyndon Johnson born?
3. Where did Johnson meet Claudia "Lady Bird" Taylor?
4. Why did Johnson feel uncomfortable around John Kennedy's staff?
5. What did Johnson say the Civil Rights Act should be called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Johnson take on with the National Youth Administration agency?
2. How did Johnson work his way up to the job as special assistant at San Marcos College?
3. Why did Johnson decide to become a politician?
4. How did the Senate change after Johnson became vice-president?
5. What were the Black Stars at San Marcos College?
6. Why was Johnson annoyed when the Democratic National Committee created an Advisory Committee in 1958?
7. Why did Johnson feel uncomfortable in the Kennedy White House?
8. As Majority Leader, why did Johnson dislike press conferences?
9. Why did Johnson like going to the legislature with his father?
10. Why did Johnson choose not to join the Southern caucus when he was in the Senate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As President, what did Johnson think about reporters? How did he try to control the media so that he would get the most favorable stories and coverage? What was his attitude toward press conferences?
Essay Topic 2
What challenges did Johnson face as Vice President? Was he comfortable in the Kennedy Administration? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Johnson insulated himself in the White House in the late 1960s and refused to debate openly about issues. Who did he surround himself with? What effect did this have on his understanding of public views and his own re-election for President? Be specific by using textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)