|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Johnson ask of Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois in "The Transition Year"?
(a) To come to the White House for dinner and conversation.
(b) To ask other senators about their interests.
(c) His support on civil rights legislation.
(d) To help him with his speech to Congress.
2. By June, 1965, how many American troops were fighting on the ground in Vietnam?
(a) Fifty thousand
(b) One hundred thousand.
(c) Six thousand.
(d) Eleven thousand.
3. What were the American people most adversely affected by in 1968?
(a) Lack of organic food.
(b) Poor drinking water.
(d) Stormy weather.
4. What did Johnson believe he could avoid if he kept the war contained through bombing strikes?
(a) Hiring another general.
(b) Press conferences.
(c) A trip to the Far East.
(d) World War III.
5. Where was President Kennedy assassinated?
(a) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Johnson define the term "Great Society"?
2. What did Johnson want most from his advisers in "Under Siege in the White House"?
3. Where did Johnson announce his withdrawal as a candidate for President?
4. Who was Governor of the state in which King organized a march in 1965?
5. How did Johnson characterize the young people who were protesting the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Johnson stop meeting with his National Security Council when he was under siege?
2. Who was Eugene McCarthy?
3. Why did Johnson decide not to seek reelection for the Presidency?
4. How did Johnson feel about Richard Nixon cutting his Great Society programs?
5. What reasons did Johnson give Robert Kennedy for not choosing Kennedy to be on the presidential ticket with him?
6. In what ways did Johnson assert his control over his staff and cabinet?
7. When did Johnson learn that he did not have middle America's support for his policies?
8. How did Johnson first define the term "Great Society"?
9. How did inflation and the war affect Johnson's approval ratings between 1966 and 1968?
10. Describe the results of the Presidential Election of 1964.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)