|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Johnson feel like when he took over the office of President after Kennedy's assassination?
(c) The best person for the job.
2. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr. organize a march in 1965?
(a) Columbia, South Carolina.
(b) Austin, Texas.
(c) Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. What legislation passed on August 20, 1964?
(a) Massive tax cut.
(b) Education reform.
(c) The Poverty Reduction Act.
(d) Economic Opportunity Act.
4. What did Johnson think reporters were doing in order to win Pulitzer Prizes?
(a) Writing excellent biographies about him.
(b) Sabotaging him.
(c) Discussing the progress of his Great Society programs.
(d) Writing great interviews.
5. What country was Ho Chi Minh the leader of in 1965?
(a) West Vietnam.
(b) South Vietnam.
(c) East Vietnam.
(d) North Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johnson propose in a televised speech before Congress immediately following the King march in 1965?
2. What two other countries did Johnson fear might get involved in the war?
3. What did the elder statesman Averell Harriman observe about Johnson in the beginning of "Vietnam"?
4. What were the American people most adversely affected by in 1968?
5. Who was Eugene McCarthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Tet offensive and how did it affect Johnson?
2. Why did Johnson keep the public and Congress uninformed about his actions in Vietnam in 1965?
3. What were some of the events that took place as the peace movement got underway in 1968?
4. Why did Johnson think the media was sabotaging him?
5. How did Johnson follow through on getting Kennedy's civil rights legislation passed?
6. Describe the results of the Presidential Election of 1964.
7. How did Johnson first define the term "Great Society"?
8. How did Johnson feel about Richard Nixon cutting his Great Society programs?
9. How did inflation and the war affect Johnson's approval ratings between 1966 and 1968?
10. Why did Johnson stop meeting with his National Security Council when he was under siege?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)