|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the press report about the war in Vietnam?
(a) Medical needs of soldiers.
(b) Profiles of Vietnamese leaders.
(c) The beauty of the landscape.
(d) American troops successes and Hanoi's failures.
2. How many American soldiers were killed when the Vietcong guerrillas raided a U.S. advisers' barracks in Pleiku on February 6, 1965?
(b) One hundred.
3. What two Great Society programs does the author say "succeeded admirably in achieving their objectives"?
(a) Federal aid to education.
(b) Medicare and voting rights.
(c) Community action.
(d) Model Cities.
4. Where was President Kennedy assassinated?
(d) Washington, D.C.
5. What did Johnson believe he could avoid if he kept the war contained through bombing strikes?
(a) World War III.
(b) A trip to the Far East.
(c) Hiring another general.
(d) Press conferences.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many points did Johnson's approval rating drop between 1966 and 1968?
2. What was the purpose of the task forces that Johnson created on "Great Society " goals?
3. What legislation passed on August 20, 1964?
4. What did the elder statesman Averell Harriman observe about Johnson in the beginning of "Vietnam"?
5. What was one popular singer in the late 1960s that the young people of the peace movement listened to, according to the author in "Under Siege in the White House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnson say was the reason he could not let the Communists take over the South Vietnam?
2. What caused Great Society programs to fail in the mid-1960s?
3. How did Johnson respond when Robert Kennedy entered the Democratic Presidential primaries in 1967?
4. Who was Eugene McCarthy?
5. What reasons did Johnson give Robert Kennedy for not choosing Kennedy to be on the presidential ticket with him?
6. Why did Johnson increase ground troops in Vietnam in 1965?
7. In what ways did Johnson assert his control over his staff and cabinet?
8. How did Johnson calm the American public after Kennedy's assassination?
9. What was Johnson's first reaction to the Watts, Los Angeles riots in August, 1965?
10. What was the Tet offensive and how did it affect Johnson?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)