|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard McNamara's title in the Johnson Administration in 1966?
(a) Secrety of Labor.
(b) Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers.
(c) Secretary of Health and Human Resources.
(d) Secretary of Defense.
2. What did the North Vietnamese do during the Tet offensive?
(a) Agreed to a cease fire.
(b) Guarded their positions in the north.
(c) Submitted to the South Vietnamese.
(d) Attacked cities in the South thought to be safe from war.
3. What political figure was assassinated in 1968?
(a) Eugene McCarthy.
(b) Hupert Humphrey.
(c) John Kennedy.
(d) Robert Kennedy.
4. What did President Nixon do to Johnson's Great Society programs?
(a) Refined them.
(b) Gave them more funding.
(c) Supported them all.
(d) Ended many of them.
5. What was one popular singer in the late 1960s that the young people of the peace movement listened to, according to the author in "Under Siege in the White House"?
(a) Bee Gees.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Otis Redding.
(d) Herb Alpert.
Short Answer Questions
1. By June, 1965, how many American troops were fighting on the ground in Vietnam?
2. In "The Great Society," where does the author say Johnson first introduced the term "Great Society" in a speech?
3. What issue was the march that King organized originally focused on?
4. Who was Johnson's political hero?
5. Who said "The people know when you're sick and care when you die" about the Hill Country of Texas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Johnson keep the public and Congress uninformed about his actions in Vietnam in 1965?
2. How did Johnson first define the term "Great Society"?
3. In what ways did Johnson assert his control over his staff and cabinet?
4. Describe the results of the Presidential Election of 1964.
5. What was the Tet offensive and how did it affect Johnson?
6. Why did Johnson decide not to seek reelection for the Presidency?
7. How did inflation and the war affect Johnson's approval ratings between 1966 and 1968?
8. Why did pilots find it difficult to find targets during the Vietnam war?
9. What caused Great Society programs to fail in the mid-1960s?
10. How did Johnson follow through on getting Kennedy's civil rights legislation passed?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)