|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most people consider Barry Goldwater to be, according to the author in "The Transition Year"?
(c) Right winger.
2. What did Johnson propose in a televised speech before Congress immediately following the King march in 1965?
(a) Prayer in schools.
(b) Equal pay for equal work.
(c) Minority voting rights legislation.
(d) Creation of college loan program.
3. In "The Great Society," where does the author say Johnson first introduced the term "Great Society" in a speech?
(a) University of Michigan.
(d) Washington, D.C.
4. What Vietnamese people did Johnson want to help in the Vietnam War?
(a) North Vietnamese.
(b) Communists of Hanoi.
(c) South Vietnamese.
(d) Viet Cong.
5. In "Things Go Wrong," what does the author say Johnson hesitated over for two years before making a recommendation to Congress?
(a) Tax increase.
(b) Tax decrease.
(c) Request to televise debates.
(d) Request for funds to rennovate the White House.
6. How many points did Johnson's approval rating drop between 1966 and 1968?
7. What was the Economic Opportunity Act?
(a) Program to train and employ the poorest people.
(b) Tax incentives for the wealthy.
(c) Wall Street incentives.
(d) Small banks reforms.
8. In "Vietnam," what does the author say that Johnson wanted to set up in Vietnam after suppressing the war?
(a) Environmental conference.
(b) World leaders meeting.
(d) Think tank.
9. Who did Johnson think would want to end the war quickly through total annihilation?
(c) Defense Secretary.
(d) Conservatives in Congress.
10. Where did Johnson announce his withdrawal as a candidate for President?
(a) Speech in California.
(b) Before Congress.
(c) White House televised speech.
(d) Democratic National Convention.
11. What did Johnson want most from his advisers in "Under Siege in the White House"?
(a) Open, honest discussion.
(b) Different points of view.
12. Where was Johnson on election day in 1964 when the results came in?
(a) At his home in Texas.
(b) White House.
13. As administrator of the Great Society, how big was the bureaucracy that Johnson presided over?
(a) Nine thousand employees.
(b) Six million employees.
(c) Two thousand employees.
(d) One million employees.
14. Why did Johnson avoid meetings with the National Security Council in "Under Siege in the White House"?
(a) He didn't like leaving the White House.
(b) He was busy with other things.
(c) He was suspicious of leaks.
(d) The Council could never make a decision.
15. Where is the Mekong river?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johnson compare his Great Society programs with at the beginning of "Things Go Wrong"?
2. How did Johnson characterize the young people who were protesting the war?
3. By June, 1965, how many American troops were fighting on the ground in Vietnam?
4. What did the North Vietnamese do during the Tet offensive?
5. What 1960s movie did the author watch with Johnson at his ranch in Texas that Johnson disliked?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)