|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was inaugurated on January 20, 1969?
2. How many people were killed in the Watts riots in Los Angeles?
(a) Six hundred.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred twenty-five.
3. What did the press report about the war in Vietnam?
(a) American troops successes and Hanoi's failures.
(b) Profiles of Vietnamese leaders.
(c) Medical needs of soldiers.
(d) The beauty of the landscape.
4. Who was Governor of the state in which King organized a march in 1965?
5. What did Johnson propose in a televised speech before Congress immediately following the King march in 1965?
(a) Creation of college loan program.
(b) Equal pay for equal work.
(c) Minority voting rights legislation.
(d) Prayer in schools.
6. How many points did Johnson's approval rating drop between 1966 and 1968?
7. Where is the Mekong river?
8. According to the author in "The Great Society," what did Johnson equate predictability with?
9. What 1960s movie did the author watch with Johnson at his ranch in Texas that Johnson disliked?
(a) The Graduate.
(b) Bonnie and Clyde.
(c) Cool Hand Luke.
(d) Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.
10. What two Great Society programs does the author say "succeeded admirably in achieving their objectives"?
(a) Model Cities.
(b) Federal aid to education.
(c) Medicare and voting rights.
(d) Community action.
11. What was the purpose of the task forces that Johnson created on "Great Society " goals?
(a) To study issues and write up a report.
(b) To identify the problem and create legislation to solve it.
(c) To buy votes.
(d) To review previous legislation.
12. Who did Johnson choose to be his Vice President in the 1964 Presidential election?
(a) Robert Kennedy.
(b) John Stevenson.
(c) Hubert Humphrey.
(d) William Fulbright.
13. What did Johnson believe he could avoid if he kept the war contained through bombing strikes?
(a) Press conferences.
(b) A trip to the Far East.
(c) World War III.
(d) Hiring another general.
14. In "Things Go Wrong," what does the author say Johnson hesitated over for two years before making a recommendation to Congress?
(a) Request to televise debates.
(b) Request for funds to rennovate the White House.
(c) Tax increase.
(d) Tax decrease.
15. What were the American people most adversely affected by in 1968?
(a) Stormy weather.
(b) Lack of organic food.
(c) Poor drinking water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Johnson think would want to end the war quickly through total annihilation?
2. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr. organize a march in 1965?
3. Who said "The people know when you're sick and care when you die" about the Hill Country of Texas?
4. How many American soldiers were killed when the Vietcong guerrillas raided a U.S. advisers' barracks in Pleiku on February 6, 1965?
5. What did Johnson want most from his advisers in "Under Siege in the White House"?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)