|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Johnson avoid meetings with the National Security Council in "Under Siege in the White House"?
(a) The Council could never make a decision.
(b) He was suspicious of leaks.
(c) He was busy with other things.
(d) He didn't like leaving the White House.
2. What country was Ho Chi Minh the leader of in 1965?
(a) North Vietnam.
(b) West Vietnam.
(c) East Vietnam.
(d) South Vietnam.
3. What does Tet mean in Vietnamese?
(a) Political choices.
(c) Beginning again.
(d) New Year.
4. What role did Robert Kennedy fill under the Johnson Administration?
(a) Labor Secretary.
(b) Attorney General.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Secretary of State.
5. What legislation passed on August 20, 1964?
(a) Massive tax cut.
(b) Economic Opportunity Act.
(c) Education reform.
(d) The Poverty Reduction Act.
6. Where was Johnson on election day in 1964 when the results came in?
(a) At his home in Texas.
(c) White House.
7. In "The Great Society," where does the author say Johnson first introduced the term "Great Society" in a speech?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) Washington, D.C.
8. How many people were killed in the Watts riots in Los Angeles?
(a) Two hundred twenty-five.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Six hundred.
9. What was the purpose of the task forces that Johnson created on "Great Society " goals?
(a) To buy votes.
(b) To review previous legislation.
(c) To identify the problem and create legislation to solve it.
(d) To study issues and write up a report.
10. What two other countries did Johnson fear might get involved in the war?
(a) France and England.
(b) Japan and China.
(c) Russia and China.
(d) Russia and Germany.
11. What did President Nixon do to Johnson's Great Society programs?
(a) Gave them more funding.
(b) Ended many of them.
(c) Refined them.
(d) Supported them all.
12. How many points did Johnson's approval rating drop between 1966 and 1968?
13. What did Johnson compare his Great Society programs with at the beginning of "Things Go Wrong"?
(a) A king.
(b) Beautiful woman.
(c) A benevolent uncle.
(d) A massive snowball.
14. According to the author in "The Great Society," what did Johnson equate predictability with?
15. Where is the Mekong river?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard McNamara's title in the Johnson Administration in 1966?
2. In 1968, what was the number of casualties in the Vietnam war?
3. What did Johnson decide to do on March 31, 1968?
4. Where was President Kennedy assassinated?
5. When did Johnson like to hold press conferences during his first elected term as President?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)