|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Robert Kennedy fill under the Johnson Administration?
(a) Secretary of State.
(b) Attorney General.
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
(d) Labor Secretary.
2. What 1960s movie did the author watch with Johnson at his ranch in Texas that Johnson disliked?
(a) Cool Hand Luke.
(b) Bonnie and Clyde.
(c) Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.
(d) The Graduate.
3. In "The Great Society," where does the author say Johnson first introduced the term "Great Society" in a speech?
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) Washington, D.C.
4. How did Johnson define the term "Great Society"?
(a) Social reform programs.
(b) Space exploration progams.
(c) Art and Culture programs.
(d) Tax progams.
5. Who was inaugurated on January 20, 1969?
6. What did Johnson call Robert Kennedy in "The Withdrawal"?
(a) His worst nightmare.
(b) His closest adviser.
(d) A good choice for President.
7. What was the Economic Opportunity Act?
(a) Tax incentives for the wealthy.
(b) Small banks reforms.
(c) Wall Street incentives.
(d) Program to train and employ the poorest people.
8. Who was Johnson's political hero?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) John Kennedy.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Ike Eisenhower.
9. In June 1965, what was Johnson insisting upon about America's involvement in Vietnam?
(a) The U.S. was fully in the war and needed public support.
(b) The U.S. had never done bomb strikes in Vietnam.
(c) The U.S. was not at war.
(d) He was not a supporter of the war.
10. What political figure was assassinated in 1968?
(a) Hupert Humphrey.
(b) Eugene McCarthy.
(c) Robert Kennedy.
(d) John Kennedy.
11. When did Johnson like to hold press conferences during his first elected term as President?
(a) Noontime on Tuesdays.
(b) During weekdays.
(c) Thursdays before the 6 pm news.
(d) On weekends.
12. Who did Johnson appoint to the Supreme Court that he thought mothers would name their newborn sons after?
(a) William Brennan.
(b) Warren Burger.
(c) Earl Warren.
(d) Thurgood Marshall.
13. How many points did Johnson's approval rating drop between 1966 and 1968?
14. What did Johnson decide to do on March 31, 1968?
(a) Send new legislation on Medicare to Congress.
(b) Re-energize the Great Society program.
(c) Change his entire cabinet.
(d) De-escalate the war and withdraw from politics.
15. What was Richard McNamara's title in the Johnson Administration in 1966?
(a) Secretary of Health and Human Resources.
(b) Secretary of Defense.
(c) Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers.
(d) Secrety of Labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1968, what was the number of casualties in the Vietnam war?
2. Where did Martin Luther King, Jr. organize a march in 1965?
3. What Vietnamese people did Johnson want to help in the Vietnam War?
4. What did Johnson discourage between his staffers in his first elected term as President?
5. What did Johnson criticize college professors for believing in "Under Siege in the White House"?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)