|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave Lady Bird her nickname?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Rebekah Johnson.
2. What was Johnson's first job when he was a freshman in college?
(a) Clean-up crew.
(b) Dorm counselor.
(d) Security guard.
3. How long was Johnson's train journey at the end of "Education and the Dream of Success"?
(a) One day.
(b) Six days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One week.
4. Where did Johnson meet Claudia "Lady Bird" Taylor?
(b) New York City.
5. What did Willy Hopkins hire Johnson to do after he heard him speaking at a political gathering in Henley, Texas?
(a) Manage his campaign.
(b) Give speeches at schools.
(c) Teach at a Mexican-American school.
(d) Work for the town of Henley.
6. What phrase does the author use to describe how Lady Bird escaped mentally when she needed a break from Johnson?
(a) Escaped to dreamland.
(b) Psychic leave.
(c) Mental lapse.
(d) Mental vacation.
7. What word did Johnson's mother often scrawl on the outside of letters to her son?
8. What did Dean Acheson say about the passage of the Civil Rights Act in "The Senate Leader"?
(a) The Act was not enough.
(b) A surprise.
(c) Great work for Johnson.
(d) Among the greatest achievements since the war.
9. What was Richard Kleberg most interested in in Washington?
(b) Working for the common man.
(c) Social life.
(d) Legislative policies.
10. What job did Johnson take in Cotulla, Texas to help pay his college tuition?
(d) Dental assistant.
11. Why was Johnson in the hospital the day after he was elected to Congress in 1937?
(a) Visiting a friend.
(c) Visiting his mother.
12. What job did Johnson take with Richard Kleberg?
(a) Legislative Secretary.
13. When Johnson was working for a lawyer in 1926, where did he decide to go?
(a) Washington, D.D.
(b) Home to Texas.
14. What city was Hubert Humphrey mayor of?
(c) San Francisco.
15. What was Johnson in the hospital for a few days before his election as a United States Senator?
(a) Kidney Stones.
(b) High blood pressure.
(c) Broken leg.
(d) Heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lyndon Johnson born?
2. How many Washington daily newspapers did Johnson read in 1931 on a daily basis?
3. What secret group did Johnson form while in his freshman year at college?
4. What did Vice President John Marshall dream he was doing when he was chained to his desk in "The Vice-Presidency"?
5. Who said "The American people are tired of wrecking crews. They want builders--people who construct" when referring to the 1960s presidential campaign in "The Senate Leader"?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)