|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What department did Professor Harry Greene work in at the college Johnson went to?
(a) Government Department.
(b) Business Department.
(c) English Department.
(d) Science Department.
2. Who helped Johnson prepare for his math entrance exams in his first semester in college?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
3. What does the author say Johnson relied on to persuade senators to support his objectives in "The Senate Leader"?
(a) Committee hearings.
(b) Public debate.
(c) Press Conferences.
(d) Behind the scenes negotiations.
4. How did Johnson get the job with the criminal lawyer in the mid-1920s?
(a) Met the lawyer while having coffee.
(b) Personal reference from a friend.
(c) His mother and the lawyer were cousins.
(d) Newspaper ad.
5. What was the name of the hotel where Johnson lived when he first went to Washington?
(a) Dodge Hotel.
(b) Crowne Plaza.
(c) Fairmount Hotel.
(d) Hotel Rouge.
6. What did Dean Acheson say about the passage of the Civil Rights Act in "The Senate Leader"?
(a) A surprise.
(b) Among the greatest achievements since the war.
(c) Great work for Johnson.
(d) The Act was not enough.
7. Who was Carol Davis?
(a) Johnson's first real girlfriend.
(b) House mother to Johnson's fraternity.
(c) Secretary for the college dean.
(d) Johnson's mother's friend.
8. What were liberal Democrats happy to receive when the Civil Rights Act was passed?
(a) More seats in the Senate.
(b) Presidential medal of honor.
(c) Establishment of a Justice Department Civil Rights Division.
(d) More seats in the Senate.
9. When Johnson was working for a lawyer in 1926, where did he decide to go?
(a) Washington, D.D.
(b) Home to Texas.
10. Who was one author invited to the White House in the early 1960s?
(a) John Grisham.
(b) Maxine Hong Kingston.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
11. What was the performance that took place in the White House in Spring, 1962 that was the first of its kind?
(a) Chamber music.
(c) Jazz performance.
12. What did Willy Hopkins hire Johnson to do after he heard him speaking at a political gathering in Henley, Texas?
(a) Manage his campaign.
(b) Teach at a Mexican-American school.
(c) Give speeches at schools.
(d) Work for the town of Henley.
13. How is Sam Johnson described?
(c) Big and burly.
14. What subcommittee began investigations on the space exploration program in 1957?
(a) Presidential Committee on Aerospace Programs.
(b) Advisory Board.
(c) Subcommittee on Preparedness.
(d) Finance Subcommittee.
15. What position did Johnson get elected to on January 3, 1953?
(c) Democratic Party Whip.
(d) Minority Leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Johnson in the hospital the day after he was elected to Congress in 1937?
2. What did Johnson have in his suitcase which was tied with baling wire in 1924?
3. What did Johnson admire about Humphrey?
4. Who is Rebekah Baines?
5. Where was the college located where Johnson went in 1927?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)