Chapter 1, Growing Up
• Born in Stonewall, Texas, Johnson spent his early years in a small farmhouse, about a mile away from the large ranch home he later built to raise his own family.
• His mother, Rebekah Baines, was the daughter of a middle-class family that was committed to education and civility.
• Rebekah married Sam Johnson, a small farmer and real estate investor.
• Sam was a big man who drank a lot and spoke in a vulgar way.
• Lyndon is Rebekah and Sam's first child.
• Rebakah vows that she will raise Lyndon with all of the cultural and educational advantages with which she had been blessed.
• Sam wants his son to become a "man."
• Lyndon constantly struggles with his identity, attempting to emulate and please two opposites people.
• After graduating high school, Johnson traveled to California with some older boys who had spent the summer repairing an old Model-T...
This section contains 3,009 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)