|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following serves as an allegory in A Thrilling Life?
2. What is the name of the story that is most similar to The Man Who Would Not Go Away?
3. From what perspective is The Feather in the Toque told?
4. What is Albert's occupation?
5. What is Evelyn's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What element in The Knot is used to develop characterization?
2. Describe the setting in The Feather in the Toque.
3. Describe the point of view in A Thrilling Life.
4. Why is the title, A Thrilling Life, relevant to the story?
5. In what way is exposure a theme in The Feather in the Toque?
6. The title, Ole Siche, means "Dry Island." Why is this relevant to the story?
7. How is the title The Man Who Would Not Go Away relevant to the story?
8. Describe Evelyn.
9. Describe Albert.
10. Describe the relationship between the narrator and Frank in A Thrilling Life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare this collection of short stories to an outside piece of literature that you have read, a movie, or a song. What parallels exist between these two pieces? What are the differences between the two pieces?
Essay Topic 2
What significance does Susan Minot put on tone? What tones are used in the stories, and how is this tone created? Write about three stories and the tone used in them.
Essay Topic 3
Upon reading the collection of stories, what did you learn? What did you learn about life? What did you learn about writing techniques? What do you plan to take away upon finishing this book?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)