|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the man in The Man Who Would Not Go Away?
2. Which of the following serves as an allegory in A Thrilling Life?
3. What type of animal hisses at Evelyn?
4. What is the nickname of the man in The Knot?
5. Where do Charles and the boat hand go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Evelyn.
2. Describe Albert.
3. Describe Charles and Meg.
4. What epiphany does the woman in The Feather in the Toque have?
5. When the narrator learns that Frank has a new girlfriend, what does she feel?
6. Describe the relationship between the man and the woman in The Feather in the Toque.
7. Describe the way names are used in The Knot.
8. Why is the title, A Thrilling Life, relevant to the story?
9. Describe the conclusion of The Knot.
10. What element in The Knot is used to develop characterization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Minot's story The Knot is divided into four parts. Why is this significant? What is the significance behind each part? Why did Minot structure The Knot this way?
Essay Topic 2
What common themes are present in the collection of stories? What are the parallels in the stories, such as techniques in characterization and dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
How does Minot create characters that appear to be everyday people? What characteristics do Minot's characters possess that make them believable? Why is this important?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)