|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what perspective is The Knot told?
2. What is the name of the woman in The Knot?
3. What does the woman in The Feather in the Toque find on a shelf?
4. What is Charles' last name?
5. In a photo that a woman finds of her boyfriend's ex-lover, what is the woman wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator learns that Frank has a new girlfriend, what does she feel?
2. In what way is exposure a theme in The Feather in the Toque?
3. How is the swan a symbol in The Swan in the Garden?
4. Describe Charles and Meg.
5. Describe the division of the story The Knot.
6. Why is the title, A Thrilling Life, relevant to the story?
7. Describe Evelyn.
8. Describe Albert.
9. The title, Ole Siche, means "Dry Island." Why is this relevant to the story?
10. What epiphany does the woman in The Feather in the Toque have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare this collection of short stories to an outside piece of literature that you have read, a movie, or a song. What parallels exist between these two pieces? What are the differences between the two pieces?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does imagery have on a piece of writing? Why might an author use imagery to tell a story? What are some specific instances of effective and ineffective imagery in Minot's stories?
Essay Topic 3
How is dialogue used to advance some of the stories in this collection? What purpose does Susan Minot give to dialogue?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)