|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the woman in The Feather in the Toque find a photo of her lover's ex-girlfriend?
2. Which of the following objects is the woman in The Feather in the Toque most like?
3. What is the nickname of the man in The Knot?
4. What is the structure of The Knot similar to?
5. Where does the man in The Man Who Would Not Go Away go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the title The Man Who Would Not Go Away relevant to the story?
2. How does Albert react to the gardens?
3. Describe Charles and Meg.
4. Describe the relationship between Charles and Meg.
5. Describe the way names are used in The Knot.
6. Describe the division of the story The Knot.
7. In what way is exposure a theme in The Feather in the Toque?
8. How is the swan a symbol in The Swan in the Garden?
9. Describe Evelyn.
10. What elements of a typical story are missing from The Man Who Would Not Go Away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Minot create characters that appear to be everyday people? What characteristics do Minot's characters possess that make them believable? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 2
Upon reading the collection of stories, what did you learn? What did you learn about life? What did you learn about writing techniques? What do you plan to take away upon finishing this book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three symbols present in the book. Why are these symbols? What do they represent in the context of the story?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)