|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes the narrator of Lust?
2. Who did Ellen spend three years caring for?
3. Describe the weather in the story Lunch with Harry.
4. What are Tim's emotions when he shows up to Owen's home?
5. Where does the narrator of Blow go with Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nicholas.
2. Are Harry, Emma, and Jane sympathetic characters? Why or why not?
3. What is the purpose of the narrator's first person perspective in Blow?
4. What is the difference between men and women in Lust?
5. Why is the first person perspective important in the story Sparks?
6. Describe the attraction between Ellen and Nicholas.
7. How does Ellen feel the morning after the party?
8. What effect does Tim's break up with his girlfriend have on Liz and Owen's relationship?
9. Describe the character development in City Night.
10. Describe a symbol from the story City Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author write about unlikable characters? What makes the characters particularly unlikable? Analyze at least three different characters and determine why they are unlikable.
Essay Topic 2
Compare this collection of short stories to an outside piece of literature that you have read, a movie, or a song. What parallels exist between these two pieces? What are the differences between the two pieces?
Essay Topic 3
Minot's story The Knot is divided into four parts. Why is this significant? What is the significance behind each part? Why did Minot structure The Knot this way?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)