|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the man at the party whom Lil talks to?
2. What did Ellen study?
3. What does Harry call Jane at the end of the story?
4. What is the name of the lover who frightens the teenage girl with his intensity?
5. What is the overall timeline in Lust?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry from Lunch with Harry.
2. Describe the narrator in the story Blow.
3. Describe Emma and Harry's relationship.
4. Describe the character development in City Night.
5. Why is the first person perspective important in the story Sparks?
6. Describe the tone of the story The Break-up.
7. Describe Lil's interactions at the party she attends.
8. Does the narrator of Lust enjoy sexual activity? How do you know?
9. What is the author's message behind the story Lust?
10. Describe the structure of The Break-up.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does Susan Minot put on tone? What tones are used in the stories, and how is this tone created? Write about three stories and the tone used in them.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose behind using an unnamed narrator to tell a story? Why did the author choose not to name many of the characters? What message do you think she was trying to send?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three stories from the collection to make predictions about. Determine what will happen to the characters in these stories in the future. Why do you think these events will happen?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)