|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ellen's last name?
2. Describe the clothing that Bill gives to the narrator of Blow.
3. What is the name of the party host in Sparks?
4. Which of the following are names of two party guests in Sparks?
5. Who calls Owen and Liz?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the story Lunch with Harry, what are European values?
2. Describe the character of Duer.
3. What prediction does Bill make?
4. Describe Emma and Harry's relationship.
5. Describe the character development in City Night.
6. What comments does Tim make that make Owen feel uncomfortable?
7. What is the difference between men and women in Lust?
8. Describe the relationship between Owen and Tim.
9. Describe Nicholas.
10. Describe a symbol from the story City Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three symbols present in the book. Why are these symbols? What do they represent in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Minot create characters that appear to be everyday people? What characteristics do Minot's characters possess that make them believable? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does imagery have on a piece of writing? Why might an author use imagery to tell a story? What are some specific instances of effective and ineffective imagery in Minot's stories?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)