|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lil search for at the party?
2. What did Ellen study?
3. Who does Bill have an appointment with?
4. At what age does the narrator of Sparks have her first sexual encounter with Duer?
5. Who calls Owen and Liz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between men and women in Lust?
2. Describe the relationship between Owen and Tim.
3. Describe Nicholas.
4. What is the significance of having an unnamed character in Lust?
5. Describe the attraction between Ellen and Nicholas.
6. Describe Bill and the narrator's relationship in Blow.
7. Describe the character of Duer.
8. What does the title in the story Blow refer to?
9. Describe the tone of the story The Break-up.
10. Describe Bill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does Susan Minot put on tone? What tones are used in the stories, and how is this tone created? Write about three stories and the tone used in them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe three symbols present in the book. Why are these symbols? What do they represent in the context of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What common themes are present in the collection of stories? What are the parallels in the stories, such as techniques in characterization and dialogue?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)