|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lil's sister?
2. What does Liz want Owen to be?
3. Which physical description describes Harry?
4. Who does Bill have an appointment with?
5. What does Tim say he was about to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry from Lunch with Harry.
2. Describe Emma and Harry's relationship.
3. What effect does Tim's break up with his girlfriend have on Liz and Owen's relationship?
4. According to the story Lunch with Harry, what are European values?
5. Describe Bill and the narrator's relationship in Blow.
6. Why is the first person perspective important in the story Sparks?
7. Does the narrator of Lust enjoy sexual activity? How do you know?
8. Describe the Lust narrator's habits in choosing sexual partners.
9. What does the title in the story Blow refer to?
10. Describe the relationship between Owen and Tim.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use minimalism in these stories? Why do you think Susan Minot writes from a minimalist perspective? Use specific examples from the stories.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author write about unlikable characters? What makes the characters particularly unlikable? Analyze at least three different characters and determine why they are unlikable.
Essay Topic 3
What messages might the author be sending to the reader? What is the author trying to say about relationships? How do you know?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)