|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Poem en Forme de Saw," where does O'Hara hide?
2. Where does O'Hara argue students should learn about sex in "Ave Maria"?
3. Why does O'Hara do nothing in Hackensack in "Mary Desti's Ass"?
4. Who is the epigram at the start of "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson" written by?
5. In "How to Get There," O'Hara writes that the city is filled with__________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Hara think the world is coming to an end in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
2. Describe O'Hara's experience on the train in "A Little Travel Diary."
3. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
4. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
5. Who writes the epigram of "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? What does it say?
6. What is O'Hara trying to understand in "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
7. What does O'Hara write is located behind semblance and order in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? Where does this true face reside?
8. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
9. What does O'Hara request at the end of "Down at the Canal"?
10. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of tea in "Poem (1)"? What is O'Hara's reaction to tea, and is the tea symbolic for something else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Hara's history as a musician and art critic influences his poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the order of O'Hara's poetry and why he chooses to order them the way he does. How does the order of the poems present yet another way to analyze the poems?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)