|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does O'Hara dread going in "In Memoir of Sergei O"?
2. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
3. What does O'Hara think about humanity in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
4. What does O'Hara use as a metaphor in "Cornkind"?
5. In "Poem en Forme de Saw," where does O'Hara hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Hara request at the end of "Down at the Canal"?
2. What does O'Hara write is located behind semblance and order in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? Where does this true face reside?
3. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
4. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
5. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
6. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
7. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
8. In the poem "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," where does O'Hara take comfort?
9. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
10. How does O'Hara explain love at the end of "St. Paul and All That"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define pastoral poem. Select one poem that fits this definition. Define the qualities of the poem that fit the definition, and analyze the meaning of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
What is visual poetry? Provide an example of visual poetry in O'Hara's collection. How does visual poetry contribute to the writing style of the poem?
Essay Topic 3
What is a prophecy, and how does O'Hara use prophecies in his poetry?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)