|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Hara sign off as in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
2. To whom is "Steps" addressed?
3. What action does O'Hara describe at the start of "Mary Desti's Ass"?
4. At the start of "Mary Desti's Ass," what place does O'Hara describe?
5. In ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what no longer interests us?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
2. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
3. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
4. What does O'Hara write is located behind semblance and order in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? Where does this true face reside?
5. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
6. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
7. Describe the dream O'Hara has in "Kamin's Dance Shop."
8. What does O'Hara request at the end of "Down at the Canal"?
9. In the poem "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," where does O'Hara take comfort?
10. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does O'Hara convey emotion in his poetry? Choose two poems that express two different emotions. Compare and contrast the words and imagery that convey the emotion of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss O'Hara's relationship with New York city. Choose two poems that convey different emotions about New York. How does O'Hara use words and imagery to convey that relationship?
Essay Topic 3
How is Russian culture important to O'Hara, and how is this culture represented in his poetry?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)