|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Mary Desti's Ass," what city does O'Hara warn the reader about?
2. What is the language of "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
3. In "Poem en Forme de Saw," where does O'Hara hide?
4. In ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what no longer interests us?
5. Why does O'Hara do nothing in Hackensack in "Mary Desti's Ass"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Hara write is located behind semblance and order in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? Where does this true face reside?
2. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
3. Describe the dream O'Hara has in "Kamin's Dance Shop."
4. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
5. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
6. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
7. For whom is "Steps" written? Why does O'Hara want to spend his time with this person?
8. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
9. In the poem "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," where does O'Hara take comfort?
10. What is O'Hara trying to understand in "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain O'Hara's defense of the city in the poem ''Song." How does O'Hara use art to convey a message about New York?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of tea in "Poem (1)"? What is O'Hara's reaction to tea, and is the tea symbolic for something else?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of the poem "Cornkind"? Explain how O'Hara demonstrates this theme in his poem.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)