|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson" begin?
2. In "Poem en Forme de Saw," where does O'Hara wonder if he should visit?
3. In ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," to what is America compared?
4. In "Mary Desti's Ass," where has O'Hara never has a bad time?
5. What does "Five Poems" list?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
2. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
3. What is the message in "Ave Maria"?
4. Describe O'Hara's experience on the train in "A Little Travel Diary."
5. For whom is "Steps" written? Why does O'Hara want to spend his time with this person?
6. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
7. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
8. Who writes the epigram of "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? What does it say?
9. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
10. How does O'Hara explain love at the end of "St. Paul and All That"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of tea in "Poem (1)"? What is O'Hara's reaction to tea, and is the tea symbolic for something else?
Essay Topic 2
Select two poems and compare and contrast the titles of each poem. How do the titles relate to the content of the poem? Do the titles have a significant meaning on their own?
Essay Topic 3
How is Russian culture important to O'Hara, and how is this culture represented in his poetry?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)