|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what is O'Hara able to ignore?
2. What did Fanny want to do with O'Hara in "At Kamin's Dance Shop"?
3. Where is O'Hara in "In Memoir of Sergei O"?
4. What is O'Hara's emotional state in "At Kamin's Dance Shop"?
5. What emotion is O'Hara feeling at the start of "In Memoir of Sergei O"?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
2. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
3. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
4. Describe the dream O'Hara has in "Kamin's Dance Shop."
5. What are some of the lies O'Hara discusses in "How to Get There"? How do the lies affect people?
6. What does O'Hara request at the end of "Down at the Canal"?
7. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
8. What does O'Hara write is located behind semblance and order in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? Where does this true face reside?
9. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
10. Why does O'Hara think the world is coming to an end in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a prophecy, and how does O'Hara use prophecies in his poetry?
Essay Topic 2
How does O'Hara convey emotion in his poetry? Choose two poems that express two different emotions. Compare and contrast the words and imagery that convey the emotion of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the order of O'Hara's poetry and why he chooses to order them the way he does. How does the order of the poems present yet another way to analyze the poems?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)