|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Hara want people to free themselves from in ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson''?
2. What did Fanny want to do with O'Hara in "At Kamin's Dance Shop"?
3. What is the language of "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
4. What is O'Hara's emotional state in "At Kamin's Dance Shop"?
5. How many parts does "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson" contain?
Short Essay Questions
1. For whom is "Steps" written? Why does O'Hara want to spend his time with this person?
2. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
3. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
4. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
5. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
6. What is O'Hara trying to understand in "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
7. How does O'Hara explain love at the end of "St. Paul and All That"?
8. Describe O'Hara's experience on the train in "A Little Travel Diary."
9. What is the message in "Ave Maria"?
10. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," why does O'Hara compare and contrast America to Old Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does O'Hara convey emotion in his poetry? Choose two poems that express two different emotions. Compare and contrast the words and imagery that convey the emotion of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
What is the theme of the poem "Cornkind"? Explain how O'Hara demonstrates this theme in his poem.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Hara uses sexuality and sensuality in his poems. Provide three examples of how he uses sexuality or sensuality to create the experience in his poem.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)