|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what does O'Hara assert is behind order and kindness?
2. Where does O'Hara argue students should learn about sex in "Ave Maria"?
3. What does O'Hara think about humanity in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
4. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what is O'Hara able to ignore?
5. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
2. What are some of the lies O'Hara discusses in "How to Get There"? How do the lies affect people?
3. For whom is "Steps" written? Why does O'Hara want to spend his time with this person?
4. Describe the dream O'Hara has in "Kamin's Dance Shop."
5. What does O'Hara write is located behind semblance and order in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? Where does this true face reside?
6. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
7. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
8. What is the message in "Ave Maria"?
9. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
10. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Russian culture important to O'Hara, and how is this culture represented in his poetry?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of tea in "Poem (1)"? What is O'Hara's reaction to tea, and is the tea symbolic for something else?
Essay Topic 3
Define pastoral poem. Select one poem that fits this definition. Define the qualities of the poem that fit the definition, and analyze the meaning of the poem.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)