|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "In Memoir of Sergei O," why does O'Hara dread going to a certain location?
2. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what does O'Hara assert is behind order and kindness?
3. What is the weather condition where O'Hara finds his love in "Mary Desti's Ass"?
4. What does O'Hara claim is torn in the poem "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
5. Who do politicians lie to in "How to Get There"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
2. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
3. Describe two of the cities that O'Hara mentions in "Mary Desti's Ass."
4. How does O'Hara explain love at the end of "St. Paul and All That"?
5. For whom is "Steps" written? Why does O'Hara want to spend his time with this person?
6. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
7. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
8. Why does O'Hara think the world is coming to an end in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
9. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
10. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," why does O'Hara compare and contrast America to Old Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain O'Hara's defense of the city in the poem ''Song." How does O'Hara use art to convey a message about New York?
Essay Topic 2
How does O'Hara use comparison in "For the Chinese New Year and For Bill Berkson"? What statement does he make about the two places or objects through this comparison?
Essay Topic 3
How is Russian culture important to O'Hara, and how is this culture represented in his poetry?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)