|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does O'Hara find his love in "Mary Desti's Ass"?
2. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what is O'Hara's generation going to do?
3. In ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what no longer interests us?
4. What do Woman lie about in "How to Get There"?
5. Where does O'Hara argue students should learn about sex in "Ave Maria"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
2. What is O'Hara trying to understand in "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
3. How does O'Hara explain love at the end of "St. Paul and All That"?
4. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
5. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
6. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
7. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
8. What is the message in "Ave Maria"?
9. For whom is "Steps" written? Why does O'Hara want to spend his time with this person?
10. Why does O'Hara think the world is coming to an end in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a prophecy, and how does O'Hara use prophecies in his poetry?
Essay Topic 2
How does O'Hara use comparison in "For the Chinese New Year and For Bill Berkson"? What statement does he make about the two places or objects through this comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the technique of free-writing. Choose one poem of O'Hara's that demonstrates this technique. Provide examples of how the message of the poem is or is not effectively conveyed to the reader through free-writing.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)