|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Hara think of Paris in "A Little Travel Diary"?
2. In what city does "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson" begin?
3. What does O'Hara want people to free themselves from in ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson''?
4. What action does O'Hara describe at the start of "Mary Desti's Ass"?
5. What does O'Hara request at the end of "Down at the Canal"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O'Hara think the world is coming to an end in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"?
2. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
3. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
4. Describe O'Hara's vision of his New York in "Steps."
5. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
6. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
7. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
8. What does O'Hara request at the end of "Down at the Canal"?
9. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
10. What is the message in "Ave Maria"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss O'Hara's relationship with Sally in "Galanta." What is the significance of O'Hara comparing Sally to America?
Essay Topic 2
How does O'Hara use comparison in "For the Chinese New Year and For Bill Berkson"? What statement does he make about the two places or objects through this comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Hara uses sexuality and sensuality in his poems. Provide three examples of how he uses sexuality or sensuality to create the experience in his poem.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)