|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does everyone act in O'Hara's vision of New York in "Steps"?
2. Where does O'Hara find his love in "Mary Desti's Ass"?
3. Where is O'Hara in "In Memoir of Sergei O"?
4. In "Mary Desti's Ass," where does O'Hara say he contracted a strange illness?
5. In the poem "Mary Desti's Ass," what city does O'Hara warn the reader about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe O'Hara's vision of his New York in "Steps."
2. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
3. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
4. In the poem "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," where does O'Hara take comfort?
5. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
6. Describe O'Hara's experience on the train in "A Little Travel Diary."
7. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
8. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
9. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
10. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," why does O'Hara compare and contrast America to Old Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss O'Hara's relationship with New York city. Choose two poems that convey different emotions about New York. How does O'Hara use words and imagery to convey that relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Define pastoral poem. Select one poem that fits this definition. Define the qualities of the poem that fit the definition, and analyze the meaning of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Hara uses sexuality and sensuality in his poems. Provide three examples of how he uses sexuality or sensuality to create the experience in his poem.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)