|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poem "Ave Maria" ask mothers to do?
2. In what shape is "Poem en Forme de Saw" written?
3. Where does O'Hara find his love in "Mary Desti's Ass"?
4. In "In Memoir of Sergei O," why does O'Hara dread going to a certain location?
5. In "How to Get There," O'Hara writes that the city is filled with__________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe O'Hara's experience on the train in "A Little Travel Diary."
2. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
3. What is the poem "St. Paul and All That" about?
4. How does O'Hara explain love at the end of "St. Paul and All That"?
5. Describe O'Hara's vision of his New York in "Steps."
6. What does O'Hara think of Georgia in "Memoir of Sergei O"?
7. What is the poem "Cornkind" about?
8. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
9. To whom is "Down at the Canal" addressed?
10. What is O'Hara convinced his generation is going to do in "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson"? How is this similar to the previous generation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of tea in "Poem (1)"? What is O'Hara's reaction to tea, and is the tea symbolic for something else?
Essay Topic 2
What is visual poetry? Provide an example of visual poetry in O'Hara's collection. How does visual poetry contribute to the writing style of the poem?
Essay Topic 3
How is Russian culture important to O'Hara, and how is this culture represented in his poetry?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)