|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is O'Hara in "In Memoir of Sergei O"?
2. In "In Memoir of Sergei O," why does O'Hara dread going to a certain location?
3. What spreads through the alleyways in "How to Get There"?
4. In ''For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," what no longer interests us?
5. What animal does O'Hara imagine talking in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the snow and fog in "How to Get There"?
2. What are some of the pleasures O'Hara discusses in "Five Poems"?
3. What are O'Hara's emotions in "Poem en Forme de Saw"?
4. Describe O'Hara's experience on the train in "A Little Travel Diary."
5. In what style is "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir" written?
6. What is the message in "Ave Maria"?
7. In "For the Chinese New Year & For Bill Berkson," why does O'Hara compare and contrast America to Old Europe?
8. Describe the dream O'Hara has in "Kamin's Dance Shop."
9. What are some of the lies O'Hara discusses in "How to Get There"? How do the lies affect people?
10. What is O'Hara trying to understand in "Pistachio Tree at Chateau Noir"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how O'Hara uses sexuality and sensuality in his poems. Provide three examples of how he uses sexuality or sensuality to create the experience in his poem.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the technique of free-writing. Choose one poem of O'Hara's that demonstrates this technique. Provide examples of how the message of the poem is or is not effectively conveyed to the reader through free-writing.
Essay Topic 3
How is Russian culture important to O'Hara, and how is this culture represented in his poetry?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)