|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Naphtha," whom does O'Hara thank for his vibrant imagery?
2. What does O'Hara wonder in "Poem (2)"?
3. What region of the city does "Hotel Particulier" take place?
4. Which two groups in "Image of the Buddha Preaching" does the Buddha say have much in common?
5. In what season does "Poem" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Poem (2)" discuss?
2. What does O'Hara do when he learns about the woman's death in "The Day Lady Died"?
3. Where does O'Hara eat lunch in "Music," and what does he order?
4. What fears does O'Hara have in "Adieu to Norman, Bon Jour to Joan and Jean-Paul"?
5. What holiday is approaching in "Music," and to what is O'Hara looking forward?
6. Where does O'Hara travel from to see Alma? Where does he go to see her?
7. What effect does tea have on O'Hara in "Poem"?
8. List two things O'Hara describes in "On the Way to San Remo" and how he describes them.
9. What is the weather like in "Music"?
10. Where is O'Hara in "2 Poems from the O'Hara Monogatari," and what does he do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how O'Hara uses setting in the poem "Alma" and in another poem of your choice. How are his descriptive terms different and similar in each poem?
Essay Topic 2
How does O'Hara convey emotion in his poetry? Choose two poems that express two different emotions. Compare and contrast the words and imagery that convey the emotion of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the order of O'Hara's poetry and why he chooses to order them the way he does. How does the order of the poems present yet another way to analyze the poems?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)