|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Personal Poem" with whom does O'Hara eat?
2. What is the condition of O'Hara in "In Adieu to Norman, Bon Jour to Joan and Jean-Paul"?
3. Where does "Image of the Buddha Preaching" take place?
4. In "In a Step Away from Them," what does O'Hara eat?
5. How many parts are in the poem "Three airs"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Hara long to be at the end of "Three Airs," and what does he want to do?
2. Whose death does O'Hara think about in "A Step Away From Them," and what does he think about them?
3. List two things O'Hara describes in "On the Way to San Remo" and how he describes them.
4. What causes O'Hara to feel mad in "On Rachmaninoff's Birthday"?
5. Where does O'Hara eat lunch in "Music," and what does he order?
6. What effect does tea have on O'Hara in "Poem"?
7. Describe part four of "Alma."
8. What is the significance of the building in "Rhapsody"?
9. What artists does O'Hara discuss in "Naphtha and What Did They Create"?
10. What is the weather like in "Music"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the theme of the poem "Cornkind"? Explain how O'Hara demonstrates this theme in his poem.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss O'Hara's relationship with New York city. Choose two poems that convey different emotions about New York. How does O'Hara use words and imagery to convey that relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain O'Hara's defense of the city in the poem ''Song." How does O'Hara use art to convey a message about New York?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)