|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Hara write is over the water in "Three Airs"?
2. What kind of sandwich does O'Hara eat in "Music"?
3. How does O'Hara want to change in "Poem"?
4. How many parts is the poem "Alma"?
5. Whom does Alma miss when she moves to Detroit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is O'Hara in "2 Poems from the O'Hara Monogatari," and what does he do there?
2. What does O'Hara refer to Manhattan as in "Rhapsody" and why?
3. What causes O'Hara to feel mad in "On Rachmaninoff's Birthday"?
4. Who does O'Hara compare himself to in "Cambridge" and why?
5. Why does O'Hara think the day is great in "Poem (4)"?
6. Where does O'Hara travel from to see Alma? Where does he go to see her?
7. Describe part four of "Alma."
8. What does O'Hara long to be at the end of "Three Airs," and what does he want to do?
9. What does "Poem (2)" discuss?
10. What does "On the Way to San Remo" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of tea in "Poem (1)"? What is O'Hara's reaction to tea, and is the tea symbolic for something else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss O'Hara's relationship with New York city. Choose two poems that convey different emotions about New York. How does O'Hara use words and imagery to convey that relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the order of O'Hara's poetry and why he chooses to order them the way he does. How does the order of the poems present yet another way to analyze the poems?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)