|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of O'Hara in "In Adieu to Norman, Bon Jour to Joan and Jean-Paul"?
(a) Hung over.
2. What does O'Hara say happens when Alma dies?
(a) The doves cry.
(b) The spirits dance.
(c) The moon sleeps.
(d) The earth shakes.
3. What belies the notion of social mobility according to O'Hara in "Rhapsody"?
(a) The president.
(b) The elevator men.
(c) The waiters.
(d) The maids.
4. In "Naphtha," how does O'Hara describe the structures where his music is played?
(a) Structure of the decade.
(b) Structure of the world.
(c) Structure of the century.
(d) Structure of the 90s.
5. What do people believe about the city in "Song"?
(a) It is dirty.
(b) It is clean.
(c) It is violent.
(d) It is friendly.
6. In the poem "Three Airs" what objects are in the space O'Hara describes?
(a) Fluffy objects.
(b) Pretty objects.
(c) Absurd objects.
(d) Scary objects.
7. What happens to Alma at the end of the poem?
(a) She becomes a banker.
(b) She has five children.
(c) She joins the circus.
(d) She becomes a legend.
8. In "Rhapsody," what creates a false sense of upward mobility?
(a) The number of steps.
(b) The many floors.
(d) The flag.
9. Who visits O'Hara in New York in "Poem (4)"?
10. What type of neurotic does O'Hara describe himself as in "Poem"?
11. What kind of house is O'Hara staying at in "2 Poems from the O'Hara Monogatari"?
(a) A slum.
(b) A penthouse.
(c) A seaside cottage.
(d) A mansion.
12. What region of the city does "Hotel Particulier" take place?
13. Whom does O'Hara compare himself to in "Cambridge"?
(a) The Russian Writers.
(b) Stephan King.
(c) His father.
14. How would O'Hara describe himself in "Poem"?
15. What does O'Hara carry in his pocket in "Personal Poem"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Hara write is over the water in "Three Airs"?
2. What does the Buddha want to end in "Image of the Buddha Preaching"?
3. At what time in "In a Step Away from Them'"is O'Hara walking?
4. In "Poem" how does O'Hara convince the man to sleep with him?
5. What flying animal does O'Hara describe in "Three Airs"?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)