|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How will warm tea improve O'Hara?
(a) It will keep him awake.
(b) It will keep him warm.
(c) It will allow him to act better.
(d) It will help him sleep.
2. What happens when Alma moves to Detroit?
(a) She joins the army.
(b) She marries a mechanic.
(c) She becomes a teacher.
(d) She opens a jewelry store.
3. What emotional state is O'Hara in during "On Rachmaninoff's Birthday"?
(a) In love.
4. In "In Adieu to Norman, Bon Jour to Joan and Jean-Paul," what is O'Hara's fear?
(a) He will never move from his parents' house.
(b) He will never be loved.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He is a terrible poet.
5. What does O'Hara carry in his pocket in "Personal Poem"?
6. Who is the lady in "The Day Lady Died"?
(a) Daisy May.
(b) Billie Holiday.
(c) Aretha Franklin.
(d) Karen Carpenter.
7. What cultural event does O'Hara attend in "Poem (4)"?
(a) An art gallery.
(b) A book signing.
(c) A concert.
(d) A movie.
8. What month does O'Hara say is approaching in "Poem (4)"?
9. Whom does Alma miss when she moves to Detroit?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her dead mother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her dead father.
10. Where does Alma visit prior to arriving in Detroit?
11. In "Three Airs," where does the bird drop the objects it is carrying?
(a) A ravine.
(b) A nest.
(c) A morass.
(d) The ocean.
12. Describe the condition of O'Hara's location in "On Rachmaninoff's Birthday"?
13. How does O'Hara want to change in "Poem"?
(a) He wants to be brave.
(b) He wishes he was creative.
(c) He wants to be depressed.
(d) He wants to become charming.
14. What does O'Hara compare the city to in "In a Step Away from Them"?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A symphony.
(c) A circus.
(d) A jungle.
15. What is the weather like in "Cambridge"?
(c) A blizzard.
(d) A hurricane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Image of the Buddha Preaching" take place?
2. What does O'Hara think about the current century in "Naphtha"?
3. In "Poem (4)," O'Hara say strangers appear to be ____________.
4. In "Naphtha," whom does O'Hara thank for his vibrant imagery?
5. Whom is O'Hara listening to during "On Rachmaninoff's Birthday"?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)