|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of clothing is Luna wearing?
2. What does Regan lie about when Liam says he wants to transition?
3. What is Liam good at pretending?
4. What does Regan tell Luna that makes her smile?
5. What does Liam shatter his mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Liam and Regan play as children?
2. To what does Regan flashback when she hears Liam playing music in his room?
3. Why is Regan having difficulty concentrating and who causes her more trouble?
4. Why do Carmen and Regan essentially end their friendship?
5. What do Regan and Liam discuss about their father?
6. Describe the incident in chemistry class when Regan burns her arm.
7. What two negative experiences does Luna have while at the mall?
8. How does Luna feel after leaving the mall, and how does Regan respond?
9. What thoughts go through Regan's head about the shopping experience with Luna?
10. Who is in Regan's bedroom at 2:30 A.M. and what does she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luna belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Luna". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peters chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peters chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Peters's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Peters use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Luna" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Luna" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)