|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carmen do before moving away from their town?
2. When is the first time Luna panics?
3. What does Regan note about Chris as they are doing an experiment?
4. What is Dana International?
5. What happens when Regan's chemistry teacher notes the relationship between Regan and Liam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aly remember about Liam's ninth birthday?
2. Who is in Regan's bedroom at 2:30 A.M. and what does she want?
3. What does Liam say he wants to do to himself and why does he feel this way?
4. To what does Regan flashback when she hears Liam playing music in his room?
5. Why do the lights flicker when Regan opens the door to the basement and why is the alarm probably not necessary?
6. What does Regan remember about the fingernail painting at the end of her sixth grade?
7. How does Liam "test the waters" with his parents?
8. What does Regan see in Liam that her parents do not, and what happened to Lia Marie on Liam's ninth birthday?
9. What happens before Liam and Regan get out of the car at the West Meadows Mall?
10. What class is Regan anxious to get to that morning and what happens in the class that makes Regan feel great?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Luna and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Luna" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Would you consider the ending of "Luna" to be a happy ending? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Luna belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Luna". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in the novel. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? Which characters seemed to have acquired courage and how?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of self identity in "Luna". Consider the not only Liam's identification as being female but how Regan identifies herself both alone and in terms of being Liam's sister. How do Liam and Regan's self identity change from the beginning of "Luna" to the end?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)