|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luna ask of Regan when he wakes her in the middle of the night?
2. What did Liam's father once do when Liam is being harassed at school?
3. What does the saleslady in the Gap do?
4. To what does Liam agree when Aly, Regan and Shannon are painting their nails once?
5. What does Regan lie about when Liam says he wants to transition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two negative experiences does Luna have while at the mall?
2. To what does Regan flashback when she hears Liam playing music in his room?
3. Describe the interaction between Liam and his father about the topic of baseball.
4. What do Regan and Liam discuss about their father?
5. What does Liam say he wants to do to himself and why does he feel this way?
6. What does Aly remember about Liam's ninth birthday?
7. What does Regan see in Liam that her parents do not, and what happened to Lia Marie on Liam's ninth birthday?
8. What class is Regan anxious to get to that morning and what happens in the class that makes Regan feel great?
9. What happens in the present that makes Regan think of a past incident?
10. How does Liam "test the waters" with his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Luna". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peters chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peters chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Peters's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Peters use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Luna" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
When Liam picks Regan up, he laments being forced to act like a boy; he cannot continue living this way as it depresses him and makes him suicidal. Regan hates school because she isolates herself as her way of coping. Liam is closed into his bedroom, listening to Dana International, and the music forces Regan to recall when she heard it and entered Liam's room to find an empty prescription bottle. She begged him to throw up, but he did not take them. He pleaded for her to help him, but she flushed the pills down the toilet and gave him her new nightgown.
1. What do you think Regan should do when Liam talks about suicide? Do you think she handles such events in the book well? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Luna to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Regan isolates herself from her peers besides the obvious one that she does not want anyone to know about Liam. These might include mental, emotional and physical reasons. Use examples from your own life and Luna to support your answer.
3. Do you think children should be pressured to participate in activities in which they are not interested? Why or why not? These activities might include sports, academic clubs, social clubs, church, and family events. Use examples from your own life and Luna to support your answer.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)