Prologue and Chapters 1-4
• Helen Boyle runs a real estate company that specializes in "distressed" properties, or houses that are haunted.
• Helen sells the haunted houses then convinces the new owners that making a big deal to the previous owners will make the property worthless, then sells the house again.
• Carl Streater is a journalist who is assigned a series of stories about crib death.
• Carl notes that in two of the homes where a death has occurred, there is a copy of a book called "Poems and Rhymes" open to page 27.
• Carl believes that the poem, which becomes known as the "culling song," is the reason for the deaths of some of the babies.
• Carl finds Helen's name associated with an old case in which her husband and son died and believes Helen read them the poem, killing them.
• Carl confronts Helen but she refuses...
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)