|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Lucy's mother when she married Lucy's father?
2. Mariah thinks that her problem is ____________________.
3. Mariah notices that ______________ makes Lucy happy.
4. Who kisses Lucy at a party she and Peggy attend?
5. What does Lucy send to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
2. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
3. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
4. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
5. For Lucy, why isn't sex accompanied by an emotional connection?
6. Why does Lucy and Peggy's relationship begin to wane?
7. Why do Lucy and Peggy decide to get an apartment together in spite of their waning friendship?
8. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
9. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
10. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
LUCY is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that genre entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mariah. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mariah?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)