|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Lewis having an affair?
2. What month is it at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. Mariah thinks that her problem is ____________________.
4. Where do Mariah and the girls spend the Summer?
5. Mariah writes a book about _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
2. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
3. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
4. What does Lucy think about the seasons now that she is experiencing Autumn?
5. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
6. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
7. Who is Roland and how does Lucy meet him?
8. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
9. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
10. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LUCY is sometimes defined as an autobiographical piece based on Jamaica Kincaid's life. Do some research about Kincaid's life and describe how Kincaid based the novel on her own life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mariah. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mariah?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)