|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lewis and Mariah go regarding the environmental cause?
2. Mariah writes a book about _____________________.
3. What ceremony does Lucy not attend?
4. Mariah notices that ______________ makes Lucy happy.
5. How does Lucy feel as she sees Mariah aging?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
2. Why does Lucy and Peggy's relationship begin to wane?
3. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
4. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
5. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
6. Who is Roland and how does Lucy meet him?
7. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
8. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
9. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
10. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author creates more than one situation of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples of irony and explain why they are ironic.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mariah. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mariah?
Essay Topic 3
Kincaid is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they exemplify.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)