|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mariah's best friend?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Mariah and Lewis' daughters?
3. What does the person in #130 want Lucy to do?
4. What has Lucy come to love about living in America?
5. Where is Lucy's homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
2. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
3. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
4. Why does Lucy tell her mother the tawdry details of her life, and how does her mother respond?
5. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
6. Why does Lucy and Peggy's relationship begin to wane?
7. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
8. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
9. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
10. In chapter four, what is the nature of Lucy and Peggy's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Kincaid end the story on a note of hope for Lucy or with the hint that her challenge in developing meaningful relationships in her life will continue? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Lucy's life? How about Mariah's life? Explain how an inanimate object, a characteristic, or a concept can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
LUCY is sometimes defined as an autobiographical piece based on Jamaica Kincaid's life. Do some research about Kincaid's life and describe how Kincaid based the novel on her own life experiences.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)