|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy do with letters from her mother?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Mariah and Lewis' daughters?
3. How old does Mariah turn in Chapter 3?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Lewis?
5. Lucy feels that Dinah is _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
2. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
3. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
4. Whose side does Lucy take in the separation of Mariah and Lewis?
5. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
6. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
7. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
8. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
9. In chapter four, what is the nature of Lucy and Peggy's relationship?
10. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Mariah and Lewis. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it continue? What does Mariah learn about the reality of her life with Lewis as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Lucy's life? How about Mariah's life? Explain how an inanimate object, a characteristic, or a concept can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Kincaid choose to use these places and this time in the novel?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)