|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy decides she no longer wants to become a _______________.
2. Where does Lucy like to go that Peggy does not?
3. Lucy had to use a trick to make the girl in #74 eat stewed plums and ______________ .
4. Who arrives unexpectedly to see Lucy one night?
5. With which daughter is Lucy having dinner in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
2. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
3. Who is Roland and how does Lucy meet him?
4. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
5. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
6. Why do Lucy and Peggy decide to get an apartment together in spite of their waning friendship?
7. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
8. For Lucy, why isn't sex accompanied by an emotional connection?
9. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
10. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LUCY is sometimes defined as an autobiographical piece based on Jamaica Kincaid's life. Do some research about Kincaid's life and describe how Kincaid based the novel on her own life experiences.
Essay Topic 2
LUCY is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that genre entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)