|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy do with letters from her mother?
2. With whom had Lucy been intimate?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the person in #86?
4. What is the source of the first argument Lucy and Peggy have?
5. With whom is Lewis having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
2. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
3. Who is Roland and how does Lucy meet him?
4. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
5. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
6. In chapter four, what is the nature of Lucy and Peggy's relationship?
7. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
8. Why do Lucy and Peggy decide to get an apartment together in spite of their waning friendship?
9. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
10. For Lucy, why isn't sex accompanied by an emotional connection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project ten years into the future after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Lucy's life. Will Peggy still be a presence in her life? Where will Lucy be living? Will she be married with children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
LUCY is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that genre entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in LUCY. What does family mean to each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical do you think Mariah's family is as compared to other wealthy families in the mid-20th century? How does Mariah's family differ from Lucy's family back in the islands?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)