|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lucy's reaction when she learned that the fisherman had been paying her friend to be allowed to touch her?
2. Who is Dinah's brother on whom Lucy develops a crush?
3. The people at the party are mostly _____________.
4. Mariah writes a book about _____________________.
5. What is the state of Mariah and Lewis' marriage in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy meet Hugh?
2. For Lucy, why isn't sex accompanied by an emotional connection?
3. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
4. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
5. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
6. Why does Lucy tell her mother the tawdry details of her life, and how does her mother respond?
7. What does Lucy think about the seasons now that she is experiencing Autumn?
8. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
9. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
10. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Kincaid end the story on a note of hope for Lucy or with the hint that her challenge in developing meaningful relationships in her life will continue? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)