|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the fisherman who had manually stimulated Lucy's friend back home?
2. What ceremony does Lucy not attend?
3. What does the person in #130 want Lucy to do?
4. Lucy had to use a trick to make the girl in #74 eat stewed plums and ______________ .
5. Who is Dinah's brother on whom Lucy develops a crush?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
2. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
3. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
4. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
5. Why do Lucy and Peggy decide to get an apartment together in spite of their waning friendship?
6. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
7. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
8. Who is Roland and how does Lucy meet him?
9. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
10. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
LUCY is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that genre entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mariah and Dinah. Both women want influence over Lewis but have their hold on him in very different ways. What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama?
Essay Topic 3
Kincaid is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each and identify the technique which they exemplify.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)