|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the fisherman who had manually stimulated Lucy's friend back home?
2. Where do Lewis and Mariah go regarding the environmental cause?
3. What happened to Lucy's mother when she married Lucy's father?
4. What is the climax of LUCY?
5. What ceremony does Lucy not attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
2. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
3. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
4. Why does Lucy and Peggy's relationship begin to wane?
5. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
6. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
7. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
8. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
9. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
10. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project ten years into the future after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Lucy's life. Will Peggy still be a presence in her life? Where will Lucy be living? Will she be married with children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Mariah and Lewis. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it continue? What does Mariah learn about the reality of her life with Lewis as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)