|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lucy's au pair?
2. What do Lucy and Peggy decide to do together?
3. Lucy decides she no longer wants to become a _______________.
4. How much money had Lucy's father left Lucy's mother when he died?
5. Lucy had to use a trick to make the girl in #74 eat stewed plums and ______________ .
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Lucy and Peggy decide to get an apartment together in spite of their waning friendship?
2. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
3. In chapter four, what is the nature of Lucy and Peggy's relationship?
4. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
5. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
6. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
7. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
8. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
9. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
10. How does Lucy meet Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mariah and Dinah. Both women want influence over Lewis but have their hold on him in very different ways. What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama?
Essay Topic 3
Does Kincaid end the story on a note of hope for Lucy or with the hint that her challenge in developing meaningful relationships in her life will continue? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)