|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lucy's friend whom Mariah thinks Lucy will miss at the lake?
2. At the park, Lucy and Peggy look for men with _______________.
3. Who was the boy with whom Lucy lost her virginity?
4. What does Lewis do when Lucy tries to take a picture of the family?
5. Who was the fisherman who had manually stimulated Lucy's friend back home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
2. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
3. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
4. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
5. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
6. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
7. Why do Lucy and Peggy decide to get an apartment together in spite of their waning friendship?
8. What does Lucy think about the seasons now that she is experiencing Autumn?
9. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
10. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Kincaid choose to use these places and this time in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Lewis. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Lewis?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)