|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy see Lewis do to Dinah?
2. Who kisses Lucy at a party she and Peggy attend?
3. Who is Dinah's brother on whom Lucy develops a crush?
4. Who was the fisherman who had manually stimulated Lucy's friend back home?
5. Who is the store owner with whom Lucy has sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
2. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
3. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
4. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
5. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
6. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
7. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
8. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
9. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
10. Whose side does Lucy take in the separation of Mariah and Lewis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Mariah and Lewis. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it continue? What does Mariah learn about the reality of her life with Lewis as opposed to the perceptions she has held for so long?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Lewis. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Lewis?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)