|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dinah want more than anything?
2. How much is Lucy like her mother?
3. What did the mothers of Lucy's father's children often do?
4. Who is Dinah's brother on whom Lucy develops a crush?
5. What family outing do Lewis and Mariah do with their girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucy tell her mother the tawdry details of her life, and how does her mother respond?
2. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
3. In chapter four, what is the nature of Lucy and Peggy's relationship?
4. Why does Lucy and Peggy's relationship begin to wane?
5. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
6. How does Lucy meet Hugh?
7. What does Lucy think about the seasons now that she is experiencing Autumn?
8. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
9. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
10. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration of the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, citing an example from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Project ten years into the future after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Lucy's life. Will Peggy still be a presence in her life? Where will Lucy be living? Will she be married with children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Lucy's life? How about Mariah's life? Explain how an inanimate object, a characteristic, or a concept can be a character.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)