|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mariah thinks that her problem is ____________________.
2. Who is the store owner with whom Lucy has sex?
3. Lucy's parents planned to send their sons to college in ______________.
4. What day of the week does Lucy dislike?
5. What ceremony does Lucy not attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
2. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
3. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
4. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
5. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
6. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
7. Whose side does Lucy take in the separation of Mariah and Lewis?
8. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
9. Why does Lucy tell her mother the tawdry details of her life, and how does her mother respond?
10. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
LUCY is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that genre entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)