|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceremony does Lucy not attend?
2. Mariah notices that ______________ makes Lucy happy.
3. Mariah and Dinah are upset about _______________________.
4. Mariah thinks that her problem is ____________________.
5. How much money had Lucy's father left Lucy's mother when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tanner and what role does he have in Lucy's life?
2. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
3. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
4. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
5. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
6. Whose side does Lucy take in the separation of Mariah and Lewis?
7. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
8. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
9. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
10. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration of the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, citing an example from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Kincaid choose to use these places and this time in the novel?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)