|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy do with the letter marked URGENT received from her mother?
2. Lucy feels that Dinah is _____________.
3. What did the mothers of Lucy's father's children often do?
4. What does Lucy determine has no taste?
5. Lucy's parents planned to send their sons to college in ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
2. Why does Mariah not like Peggy?
3. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
4. Who is Roland and how does Lucy meet him?
5. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
6. For Lucy, why isn't sex accompanied by an emotional connection?
7. How does Lucy meet Hugh?
8. What does Lucy think about the seasons now that she is experiencing Autumn?
9. Why does Lucy and Peggy's relationship begin to wane?
10. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project ten years into the future after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Lucy's life. Will Peggy still be a presence in her life? Where will Lucy be living? Will she be married with children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author creates more than one situation of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples of irony and explain why they are ironic.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Lucy's life? How about Mariah's life? Explain how an inanimate object, a characteristic, or a concept can be a character.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)