|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mariah thinks that her problem is ____________________.
2. Mariah writes a book about _____________________.
3. Who arrives unexpectedly to see Lucy one night?
4. Mariah gives Lucy books to read about _____________.
5. Where is Lucy's homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lucy's relationship with Hugh?
2. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
3. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
4. Who is Lewis and what are Lucy's perceptions of him?
5. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
6. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
7. What are the circumstances that lead to Lucy having sex with Hugh?
8. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
9. Who is Peggy and why does Lucy have second thoughts about a friendship with her?
10. Who are Mariah's daughters and which one is Lucy's favorite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration of the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, citing an example from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Project ten years into the future after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Lucy's life. Will Peggy still be a presence in her life? Where will Lucy be living? Will she be married with children? Explain.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)