|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy feels that Dinah is _____________.
2. With whom is Lewis having an affair?
3. What is the reason Lucy sometimes likes Lewis?
4. How much money had Lucy's father left Lucy's mother when he died?
5. Mariah gives Lucy books to read about _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter four, what is the nature of Lucy and Peggy's relationship?
2. What is the content of the most recent letter Lucy has from her mother and how does she respond to it?
3. What do the situations with Tanner and Hugh represent in Lucy's life?
4. What are the reasons that Lucy does not like her mother?
5. What does Lucy think about the seasons now that she is experiencing Autumn?
6. Who is Dinah and what are Lucy's perceptions of her?
7. What irony does Lucy note regarding Mariah's affluent lifestyle and her interest in environmental protection?
8. What does Mariah share with Lucy about her intimate life with Lewis?
9. Who is Maude Quick and why does she reappear in Lucy's life?
10. Describe Lucy's friendship on the island with a girl named Myrna and why Lucy ultimately grew jealous of her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Does Kincaid end the story on a note of hope for Lucy or with the hint that her challenge in developing meaningful relationships in her life will continue? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
LUCY is sometimes defined as an autobiographical piece based on Jamaica Kincaid's life. Do some research about Kincaid's life and describe how Kincaid based the novel on her own life experiences.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)