|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy sometimes comments that Mariah is ______________.
2. Who was Lucy's mother's friend who had a scar on her face?
3. Why does Lucy not accept Mariah's love?
4. Where is Lucy headed at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. How did the people in Lucy's new home treat her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Lucy come to America?
2. What is revealed about Lucy at the beginning of Chapter One?
3. What does Lucy note about the train ride to the Great Lakes?
4. How did Lucy fit in with the family?
5. How did Lucy's life become routine and depressing?
6. Who is Mariah?
7. What were Lucy's first impressions of the lake house and her experience there?
8. What was the dream Lucy related to the family one day, and how did they respond?
9. What is the story of Sylvie?
10. How does Mariah represent Lucy's mother for Lucy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mariah and Dinah. Both women want influence over Lewis but have their hold on him in very different ways. What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Lewis. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Lewis?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)