|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many girls does Lucy look after?
2. From where is Lucy traveling at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What memory does Lucy recall in Chapter 2?
4. Why is Mariah sad on the first day of Spring?
5. Which one of Mariah's daughters does Lucy especially like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter One begin?
2. How do Lucy and Mariah seem to have a hard time getting to know each other?
3. What does Lucy note about the train ride to the Great Lakes?
4. Who lived in the house where Lucy lived and worked?
5. What was the dream Lucy related to the family one day, and how did they respond?
6. How can Mariah's personality be described?
7. What is the overall description of Lucy that emerges from Chapter One?
8. Who is Mariah?
9. What is revealed about Lucy at the beginning of Chapter One?
10. Why do Lucy and Mariah both feel bad over Lucy's story about daffodils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project ten years into the future after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Lucy's life. Will Peggy still be a presence in her life? Where will Lucy be living? Will she be married with children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Lucy. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Lucy's life? How about Mariah's life? Explain how an inanimate object, a characteristic, or a concept can be a character.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)