|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Lucy take for the first time with Mariah and the girls?
2. How does Lucy fit in with the family?
3. Why does Lucy not accept Mariah's love?
4. What does Lucy feel about Mariah's happiness?
5. Lucy tells Mariah the story of Jesus and ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the dream Lucy related to the family one day, and how did they respond?
2. Who lived in the house where Lucy lived and worked?
3. How does Chapter One begin?
4. What is revealed about Lucy at the beginning of Chapter One?
5. What is the usual content of Lucy's mother's letters to her?
6. What does Lucy feel about spring and why was Mariah sad on the first day of spring this year?
7. What were Lucy's first impressions of the lake house and her experience there?
8. How can Mariah's personality be described?
9. Why does Lucy enjoy hurting Mariah?
10. Why do Lucy and Mariah both feel bad over Lucy's story about daffodils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in LUCY. What does family mean to each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical do you think Mariah's family is as compared to other wealthy families in the mid-20th century? How does Mariah's family differ from Lucy's family back in the islands?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of betrayal Why does it have such a prevalent place in Lucy's life? How about Mariah's life? Explain how an inanimate object, a characteristic, or a concept can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration of the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment, citing an example from the novel to support your answers.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)