|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lucy's parents treat her?
2. How does Lucy feel when she says something that hurts Mariah's feelings?
3. What type of dress does Lucy put on?
4. What does the weather feel like to Lucy?
5. Lucy learns that _________________ since she left her home.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Lucy's first impressions of the lake house and her experience there?
2. What is the story of Sylvie?
3. What are some of the things that Lucy cannot stand and what does she not understand about the family?
4. What does Lucy feel about spring and why was Mariah sad on the first day of spring this year?
5. How can Mariah's personality be described?
6. Who is Mariah?
7. How did homesickness set in for Lucy?
8. Why do Lucy and Mariah both feel bad over Lucy's story about daffodils?
9. What was the dream Lucy related to the family one day, and how did they respond?
10. What is the overall description of Lucy that emerges from Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Lewis. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Lewis?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in America in the mid-20th century when the novel is set. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms, if any, did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)