|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alice go after college?
2. What day does Alice's rape trial begin?
3. What important day does Alice's trial coincide with?
4. What snag develops during the preliminary hearing so that Alice has to go through another process?
5. Why was it hard for Alice to identify her rapist at the lineup?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Alice finishes college, where does she go? Why is she happy to do this?
2. What question is popular that the grand jury asks Alice? What does Alice try to play up to the grand jury?
3. Who does Alice ask to come with her to the preliminary hearing? What happens that Alice is unaware of at the time but understands now?
4. How many years is Madison sentenced to? What is Alice's mother's reaction when she tells her?
5. On the day of her trail, why is Alice's father not allowed in the courtroom? What does Alice think about this?
6. What lie does Alice tell Jamie one night when they are at the bar? Why does she tell him this?
7. During her junior year of college, who does Alice date? What does she like about him?
8. In the beginning of their sophomore year, why do Mary Alice and Alice see less of each other? Who does Alice become friends with?
9. What does Alice focus on when the defense attorneys question her? Why does she do this?
10. What is the name of Alice's attorney? Why does Alice like her attorney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read Alice's poem "If They Caught You," annotating and analyzing the poem. Then write an essay analyzing the stylistic elements of the poem, and how they contribute to the tone and meaning of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
After Alice leaves college, she struggles to find herself and deal with her emotions. Write an essay about the way Alice tries to disconnect herself from her emotions and the result of these actions.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the role of the police in Alice's case. Write an essay on the police presence in the book, spanning from the impersonal to personal, giving at least three examples.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)