|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is forced to leave the room during the lineup per the defense attorney's request?
2. Why was it hard for Alice to identify her rapist at the lineup?
3. What connection does Detective Murphy try and make with Alice while he is escorting her to trial?
4. Who confronts Alice and Lila about their behavior in the theater?
5. What does Alice say the result of the design of the grand jury room is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What movie do Alice and Lila laugh at and get in trouble? Why is the man angry?
2. What news does Alice hear about Maria Flores? What does Alice say to Lila about Maria?
3. Who does Alice ask to come with her to the preliminary hearing? What happens that Alice is unaware of at the time but understands now?
4. What item does Alice have a hard time identifying during her trial? What makes her burst into tears shortly thereafter?
5. What outfit does Alice wear to her trial? What does Gail say is important about this?
6. What does Meggesto ask Alice about that hurts her? Why does she have this reaction?
7. What does Alice focus on when the defense attorneys question her? Why does she do this?
8. When Alice goes home for the summer, what do she and her mother do? What fuels Alice to do this?
9. What happens to Alice the night before her trial? What does her father tell her to do?
10. During her junior year of college, who does Alice date? What does she like about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read Alice's poem "If They Caught You," annotating and analyzing the poem. Then write an essay analyzing the stylistic elements of the poem, and how they contribute to the tone and meaning of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Many times in her life, Alice makes up stories in place of real events. Write an essay on the nature of Alice's lies and why she does this. Make sure to provide at least three examples. What does she realize she cannot hide? Why would she try to?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the role of the police in Alice's case. Write an essay on the police presence in the book, spanning from the impersonal to personal, giving at least three examples.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)