|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice develop a crush on in her fiction class?
2. What class is Alice unable to speak in during her sophomore year?
3. What does Lila decide to do with her case?
4. What did Alice's father want to name her?
5. What is different about Gail when Alice sees her before the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice focus on when the defense attorneys question her? Why does she do this?
2. What does Meggesto question Alice at length about? Why does he do this?
3. What does Meggesto ask Alice about that hurts her? Why does she have this reaction?
4. What outfit does Alice wear to her trial? What does Gail say is important about this?
5. What item does Alice have a hard time identifying during her trial? What makes her burst into tears shortly thereafter?
6. In the beginning of their sophomore year, why do Mary Alice and Alice see less of each other? Who does Alice become friends with?
7. What does Alice's mother begin to do during Alice's junior year of college? What inspires her to do this?
8. Who does Alice ask to come with her to the preliminary hearing? What happens that Alice is unaware of at the time but understands now?
9. Who is asked to leave the room when Alice is at the lineup? Why is she asked to leave?
10. What mistake did the police make so that Alice has to go through the grand jury? Why does she have to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Alice's attacker is raping her, he says mean things to her and beats her. However, after the attack his behavior changes dramatically. Write an essay explaining this change in behavior towards Alice and what this might mean in terms of power and forgiveness.
Essay Topic 2
After Alice leaves college, she struggles to find herself and deal with her emotions. Write an essay about the way Alice tries to disconnect herself from her emotions and the result of these actions.
Essay Topic 3
Think about Alice's perception of fiction writers vs. poets, and Gallagher vs. Wolff. Why does Alice see herself a certain way? Who does she seem to identify with more? Why do you think this is?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)