|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Maria Flores after Alice's grand jury Hearings?
2. What snag develops during the preliminary hearing so that Alice has to go through another process?
3. What does Alice say works in her favor when talking to the grand jury?
4. Who does Alice ask to go with her to the primary hearing?
5. What movie do Alice and Lila get in trouble for laughing at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Alice ask to come with her to the preliminary hearing? What happens that Alice is unaware of at the time but understands now?
2. What does Alice focus on when the defense attorneys question her? Why does she do this?
3. On the day of her trail, why is Alice's father not allowed in the courtroom? What does Alice think about this?
4. Who is asked to leave the room when Alice is at the lineup? Why is she asked to leave?
5. What question is popular that the grand jury asks Alice? What does Alice try to play up to the grand jury?
6. What mistake did the police make so that Alice has to go through the grand jury? Why does she have to do this?
7. When does Alice know that she chose the wrong suspect? What does her attorney say about this?
8. During her junior year of college, who does Alice date? What does she like about him?
9. In the beginning of their sophomore year, why do Mary Alice and Alice see less of each other? Who does Alice become friends with?
10. What does Meggesto question Alice at length about? Why does he do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read Alice's poem "If They Caught You," annotating and analyzing the poem. Then write an essay analyzing the stylistic elements of the poem, and how they contribute to the tone and meaning of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Alice's boyfriend Steve Carbonaro, and his obsession with Man of La Mancha. Write an essay on how Alice's viewpoint differs from Steve's, and how the two inevitably break up as a result. Be sure to use examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are many women that Alice looks up to. Write an essay on the significance of the female figures in Alice's life, and what they provided her with during her times of struggle and need.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)