|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice put in her bag as she is packing for home at the end of Chapter 10?
2. Who is forced to leave the room during the lineup per the defense attorney's request?
3. Why is Sgt. Lorenz wearing an eye patch after Alice gets off the stand?
4. While Alice waits for the grand jury, what does she do?
5. What is the name of Alice's new friend during her sophomore year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What movie do Alice and Lila laugh at and get in trouble? Why is the man angry?
2. What happens to Lila while Alice is at a poetry reading? What is her reaction to Alice after her rape?
3. When Alice goes to the lineup, what is she afraid of? What do the police assure her?
4. What news does Alice hear about Maria Flores? What does Alice say to Lila about Maria?
5. Who is asked to leave the room when Alice is at the lineup? Why is she asked to leave?
6. What lie does Alice tell Jamie one night when they are at the bar? Why does she tell him this?
7. Who does Alice ask to come with her to the preliminary hearing? What happens that Alice is unaware of at the time but understands now?
8. When Alice goes home for the summer, what do she and her mother do? What fuels Alice to do this?
9. What does Meggesto question Alice at length about? Why does he do this?
10. What does Alice focus on when the defense attorneys question her? Why does she do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Alice's attacker is raping her, he says mean things to her and beats her. However, after the attack his behavior changes dramatically. Write an essay explaining this change in behavior towards Alice and what this might mean in terms of power and forgiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Alice frets about the impression both her testimony and actions will make on her case. Write an essay about the importance of Alice's appearance while in the courtroom. Make sure you use at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Read Alice's poem "If They Caught You," annotating and analyzing the poem. Then write an essay analyzing the stylistic elements of the poem, and how they contribute to the tone and meaning of the poem.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)