|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice's teacher sing on the first day of class?
2. What famous book did Tobias Wolff write?
3. What does the doctor inject Alice with in order to relax her?
4. What is the name of the psychiatrist that Alice sees only once?
5. What kind of shoes is Alice wearing when she was attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hall does Alice live in when she returns to college for her second year? What kind of students are reported to live here?
2. What is the name of Father Breuninger's son? What happened to him while Alice was in college?
3. What was the tunnel at the beginning of the book once used for? What does Alice see in the tunnel that still remains with her to this day?
4. What does Mary Alice do before Alice leaves with her mother? Why does she do this?
5. During her first year at Syracuse, who does Alice become friends with in her poetry class? What love triangle do they form?
6. What does Alice's father do for a living? How did this affect Alice as a child?
7. After the attack is finished, what does the rapist say to Alice? What does he offer her?
8. Who was Alice with earlier in the night? What did they do together?
9. What does the doctor inject Alice with in order to relax her? What might the medicine make her do? Why must she suppress this?
10. When Alice is grabbed from behind, what does the man say to her? What is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Alice's attacker is raping her, he says mean things to her and beats her. However, after the attack his behavior changes dramatically. Write an essay explaining this change in behavior towards Alice and what this might mean in terms of power and forgiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the clothes Alice wears at important times in her life. Write an essay discussing the significance of the clothing Alice wears at critical points in the book, using at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Think about Alice's boyfriend Steve Carbonaro, and his obsession with Man of La Mancha. Write an essay on how Alice's viewpoint differs from Steve's, and how the two inevitably break up as a result. Be sure to use examples in your argument.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)