|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the meeting Welch makes with Dixon in Chapter 17 interfere with his plans?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Bertrand say to Dixon about Christine?
3. When Mrs. Welch confronts Dixon about the burned sheets, what does Dixon do?
4. How does Gore-Urquhart help Dixon before his lecture?
5. What does Welch's son Michel do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, how does Welch interfere with Dixon's work on the "Merrie England" lecture?
2. How does the audience react to Dixon's lecture?
3. In Chapter 18, why is Dixon upset with Welch's offer of dinner?
4. What happens to Dixon after he learns he will lose his university job?
5. In Chapter 17, what worries Dixon about his publication?
6. How does Dixon give his "Merrie England" lecture?
7. What happens after Dixon and Christine kiss for the first time?
8. Why can't Dixon cancel his date with Christine over the phone?
9. In Chapter 16, how does Dixon try to get even with Johns?
10. While in the taxi after the dance, how does Christine describe her relationship with Bertrand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least three symbols that are used in this novel. How does the author use symbolic language in this text?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Welch and Dixon. Consider what motivates them in this relationship, their feelings toward it and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
"Lucky Jim" is a plotted novel that follows a traditional plot development. Examine the development and formation of this plot. Explain the purpose this type of plot serves and if you believe it is effective or not.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)