|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dixon punch Bertrand?
2. In Chapter 13, whom does Dixon talk to while waiting for Christine to come outside?
3. In Chapter 19, how many hours in a row does Dixon spend working on his "Merrie England" lecture?
4. While in the taxi, what does Christine say her feelings have been lately?
5. How does Professor Barclay help Dixon with his "Merrie England" lecture?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the dance, why does Dixon have the taxi wait around the corner?
2. Why can't Dixon cancel his date with Christine over the phone?
3. How does the audience react to Dixon's lecture?
4. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine reveal to Dixon about her emotional state?
5. What happens when Dixon and Christine meet for tea?
6. What happens when Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
7. In Chapter 17, how does Welch interfere with Dixon's work on the "Merrie England" lecture?
8. Why does Christine ask Dixon to meet her at the train station?
9. In Chapter 18, why is Dixon upset with Welch's offer of dinner?
10. While in the taxi after the dance, how does Christine describe her relationship with Bertrand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's commentary on higher education?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of the women in this novel. What is the author's commentary on womanhood?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Welch and Dixon. Consider what motivates them in this relationship, their feelings toward it and the outcome.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)