|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Margaret ask Dixon?
2. Why does Dixon deny pretending to be a reporter on the phone when accused by Mrs. Dixon?
3. In Chapter 17, why does Dixon want to call Dr. Caton?
4. In Chapter 18, how does Dixon describe his relationship with Margaret?
5. In Chapter 18, what does Bertrand say to Dixon about Christine?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine tell Dixon about Bertrand's art?
2. In Chapter 17, how does Welch interfere with Dixon's work on the "Merrie England" lecture?
3. In Chapter 18, what does Mrs. Welch accuse Dixon of?
4. How does Dixon help Christine get into Welch's house after the dance?
5. How does the audience react to Dixon's lecture?
6. What happens the first time Mr. Catchpole calls Dixon?
7. In Chapter 18, why is Dixon upset with Welch's offer of dinner?
8. How does Dixon give his "Merrie England" lecture?
9. How does Atkinson try to calm down Margaret in Chapter 16?
10. What happens after Dixon and Christine kiss for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's commentary on higher education?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of protagonists/antagonists in this novel. Which characters fall into which categories? How do these characters redefine their categories? How do these categories affect the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least three symbols that are used in this novel. How does the author use symbolic language in this text?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)