|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, whom does Dixon talk to while waiting for Christine to come outside?
2. What happens when Dixon asks Dr. Caton for a publication date?
3. What do Gore-Urquhart and Dixon agree upon about the lecture?
4. When Mrs. Welch confronts Dixon about the burned sheets, what does Dixon do?
5. What happens at the end of Dixon's lecture?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in the taxi after the dance, how does Christine describe her relationship with Bertrand?
2. In Chapter 17, what worries Dixon about his publication?
3. How does Dixon help Christine get into Welch's house after the dance?
4. After the dance, why does Dixon have the taxi wait around the corner?
5. Why can't Dixon cancel his date with Christine over the phone?
6. What happens when Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
7. What happens the first time Mr. Catchpole calls Dixon?
8. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine reveal to Dixon about her emotional state?
9. In Chapter 16, how does Dixon try to get even with Johns?
10. What happens when Dixon and Christine meet for tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's commentary on higher education?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two romantic relationships in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of revenge as it is used throughout the novel. How is a serious topic like revenge balanced with the comedy of the novel?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)