|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't Bertrand shown Christine any of his paintings yet?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Welch let Dixon talk to Christine in Chapter 19?
3. Why does Welch invite Dixon to his house in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 18, where does Dixon invite Margaret?
5. In Chapter 24, what does Catchpole warn Dixon about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what worries Dixon about his publication?
2. What happens when Dixon and Christine meet for tea?
3. What happens when Dixon asks the taxi driver to go to Welch's?
4. When Mrs. Welch accuses Dixon in Chapter 18, how does he respond?
5. How does the audience react to Dixon's lecture?
6. How does Dixon respond when Christine says she could marry without loving someone?
7. In Chapter 18, what does Mrs. Welch accuse Dixon of?
8. After the dance, why does Dixon have the taxi wait around the corner?
9. Why can't Dixon cancel his date with Christine over the phone?
10. What happens when Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least two romantic relationships in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of revenge as it is used throughout the novel. How is a serious topic like revenge balanced with the comedy of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the women in this novel. What is the author's commentary on womanhood?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)