|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, how does Atkinson try to stop Margaret's fit the first time?
2. While in the taxi, what does Christine say Bertrand always does to her?
3. When Mrs. Welch confronts Dixon about the burned sheets, what does Dixon do?
4. What do Gore-Urquhart and Dixon agree upon about the lecture?
5. In Chapter 16, how does Atkinson try to stop Margaret's fit for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Mr. Catchpole calls Dixon?
2. What happens when Dixon asks the taxi driver to go to Welch's?
3. In Chapter 18, why is Dixon upset with Welch's offer of dinner?
4. How does Atkinson try to calm down Margaret in Chapter 16?
5. What happens to Dixon after he learns he will lose his university job?
6. How does Dixon respond when Christine says she could marry without loving someone?
7. In Chapter 18, what does Mrs. Welch accuse Dixon of?
8. How does Dixon help Christine get into Welch's house after the dance?
9. In Chapter 17, how does Dixon reflect on his "Merrie England" lecture?
10. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine reveal to Dixon about her emotional state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of revenge as it is used throughout the novel. How is a serious topic like revenge balanced with the comedy of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least three symbols that are used in this novel. How does the author use symbolic language in this text?
Essay Topic 3
How does the college setting affect this novel? What other settings highlight the impact of the college campus?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)