|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christine describe Dixon's trick of pretending to be a reporter?
2. In Chapter 4, what is wrong with the song Welch chooses for Dixon to sing?
3. What does Carol tell Dixon about her husband's knowledge of her affair with Bertrand?
4. After talking with Michie about the class syllabus, what does Dixon decide to do?
5. Whom does Dixon ask to dance at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what do Dixon, Bertrand, and Christine argue about?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Dixon see when he first returns to the house?
3. In Chapter 1, what do Dixon and Welch discuss about Margaret?
4. How does Dixon react to the burn holes he makes at the Welches'?
5. In Chapter 10, what role does Gore-Urquhart play at the dance?
6. How does Dixon feel about his probationary teaching position?
7. In Chapter 11, what does Christine tell Dixon about Johns?
8. What are Dixon's reservations about taking part in the art festival?
9. In Chapter 1, what article does Welch want published and why?
10. What does Dixon do after learning that his article on shipbuilding techniques will be published?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of protagonists/antagonists in this novel. Which characters fall into which categories? How do these characters redefine their categories? How do these categories affect the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the art festival to the lecture event. Consider what even event represents, the emotions tied to each and how the event affects the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the struggle between classes that is explored in "Lucky Jim". What is the message about class systems?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)