|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dixon do when he learns his article will be published in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Dixon put up with Mr. Michie's questions
3. Whom does Margaret ask to dance in Chapter 10?
4. After dancing with Carol in Chapter 12, how does Dixon describe Christine's appearance?
5. In Chapter 12, what is the first thing Carol asks Dixon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dixon end up asking Margaret to the dance?
2. What happens because of Dixon's avoidance of being introduced to Bertrand?
3. What does Dixon do when Christine asks about Carol in Chapter 11?
4. What advice does Carol give Dixon while they dance?
5. In Chapter 1, what article does Welch want published and why?
6. What happens when Dixon falls asleep smoking a cigarette at the Welches'?
7. In Chapter 4, what do Dixon, Bertrand, and Christine argue about?
8. Why does Dixon decide to call a taxi at the end of the dance?
9. In Chapter 11, what does Dixon talk to Christine about in regard to his phone call to the Welches'?
10. How does Carol act at the university dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the college setting affect this novel? What other settings highlight the impact of the college campus?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least three symbols that are used in this novel. How does the author use symbolic language in this text?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Is this effective? Why?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)