|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dixon burn a hole in the rug at Welch's?
2. When Christine asks Dixon about Bertrand asking Carol to the dance in Chapter 11, how does Dixon respond?
3. How does Dixon insult Christine at the art festival?
4. At the end of Chapter 12, where does Dixon tell Christine he is going?
5. Why does Dixon put up with Mr. Michie's questions
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because of Dixon's avoidance of being introduced to Bertrand?
2. In Chapter 8, what do Welch and Dixon discuss in Welch's office?
3. In Chapter 4, what do Dixon, Bertrand, and Christine argue about?
4. How does Dixon end up asking Margaret to the dance?
5. Why does Dixon decide to call a taxi at the end of the dance?
6. How does Dixon help Christine in Chapter 9?
7. What advice does Carol give Dixon while they dance?
8. In Chapter 4, what makes Dixon nervous about the music?
9. How does Atkinson help Dixon in Chapter 7?
10. How does Dixon react to the burn holes he makes at the Welches'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between Welch and Dixon. Consider what motivates them in this relationship, their feelings toward it and the outcome.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's commentary on higher education?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the art festival to the lecture event. Consider what even event represents, the emotions tied to each and how the event affects the novel as a whole.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)