|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dixon take Welch's phone call in Chapter 9?
2. Whom does Carol end up going to the dance with?
3. While drinking at the bar during the dance, what does Margaret tell Dixon about her feelings for him?
4. Why does Johns laugh at Dixon in Chapter 4?
5. How does Dixon feel about seeing Margaret for the first time since she left the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Carol give Dixon while they dance?
2. How does Dixon end up asking Margaret to the dance?
3. Why does Dixon decide to call a taxi at the end of the dance?
4. In Chapter 4, what do Dixon, Bertrand, and Christine argue about?
5. How does Atkinson help Dixon in Chapter 7?
6. What does Margaret tell Dixon about the art festival in Chapter 2?
7. How does Dixon react to the burn holes he makes at the Welches'?
8. What surprises Dixon about Carol when he dances with her?
9. How does Dixon feel about his probationary teaching position?
10. In Chapter 11, what does Christine tell Dixon about Johns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the narrator of this novel. Describe the type of narrator and analyze the effectiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two romantic relationships in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the women in this novel. What is the author's commentary on womanhood?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)