|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dixon's first impression of Bertrand?
2. While pretending to be a reporter on the phone, what questions does Dixon ask Bertrand?
3. What musical instrument does Dixon learn he will have to play at art week?
4. In Chapter 12, why does Dixon say he wouldn't attempt to go after Christine romantically?
5. Why does Dixon pretend to be a reporter when he calls the Welches'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dixon do when Christine asks about Carol in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 5, what happens between Dixon and Margaret?
3. What do Margaret and Dixon talk about when she is first released from the hospital?
4. In Chapter 4, what makes Dixon nervous about the music?
5. In Chapter 1, what article does Welch want published and why?
6. How does Dixon feel about his probationary teaching position?
7. In Chapter 8, what do Welch and Dixon discuss in Welch's office?
8. What advice does Carol give Dixon while they dance?
9. How does Dixon react to the burn holes he makes at the Welches'?
10. What happens when Dixon pretends to be a reporter on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine what motivates Dixon throughout the novel. How do these things help define and develop his character?
Essay Topic 2
How does the college setting affect this novel? What other settings highlight the impact of the college campus?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the narrator of this novel. Describe the type of narrator and analyze the effectiveness.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)