|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While pretending to be a reporter on the phone, what questions does Dixon ask Bertrand?
2. In Chapter 12, what is the first thing Carol asks Dixon?
3. What does Margaret tell Dixon about Carol's reaction to not going to the dance with Bertrand?
4. What does Bertrand criticize Dixon for missing at the art festival?
5. How does Dixon burn a hole in the rug at Welch's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Margaret and Dixon talk about when she is first released from the hospital?
2. What surprises Dixon about Carol when he dances with her?
3. In Chapter 5, what happens between Dixon and Margaret?
4. How does Bertrand's introduction in Chapter 4 affect Dixon?
5. What advice does Carol give Dixon while they dance?
6. What happens when Dixon pretends to be a reporter on the phone?
7. How does Dixon end up asking Margaret to the dance?
8. What does Dixon do when Christine asks about Carol in Chapter 11?
9. How does Dixon react to the burn holes he makes at the Welches'?
10. In Chapter 4, what makes Dixon nervous about the music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between Welch and Dixon. Consider what motivates them in this relationship, their feelings toward it and the outcome.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the art festival to the lecture event. Consider what even event represents, the emotions tied to each and how the event affects the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of revenge as it is used throughout the novel. How is a serious topic like revenge balanced with the comedy of the novel?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)