|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Professor Barclay help Dixon with his "Merrie England" lecture?
(a) He gives him art prints.
(b) He gives him sheet music.
(c) He gives him research reports.
(d) He gives him an extension on the due date.
2. What do Gore-Urquhart and Dixon agree upon about the lecture?
(a) That it's boring.
(b) That it's ridiculous.
(c) That it's too long.
(d) That it's important.
3. Why does Christine give money to Dixon at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) To pay him back for the drinks.
(b) As a gift.
(c) Dixon doesn't know why.
(d) For a taxi.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Dixon tell Margaret about their relationship?
(a) That they should stop seeing each other.
(b) That they should make a commitment.
(c) That they should talk about it later.
(d) That they should see other people, too.
5. How does the audience respond when Dixon starts giving his lecture?
(a) They start to leave.
(b) They throw things.
(c) They boo him.
(d) They laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the dance, why does Christine have a hard time getting in Welch's house?
2. How does Gore-Urquhart help Dixon before his lecture?
3. While in the taxi, what does Christine ask Dixon about her relationship with Bertrand?
4. What does Dixon tell Christine should not be viewed objectively?
5. In Chapter 17, when does Welch say the External Examiner's review is?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, how does Welch interfere with Dixon's work on the "Merrie England" lecture?
2. In Chapter 17, what worries Dixon about his publication?
3. How does Margaret react when Dixon says they should stop seeing each other in Chapter 16?
4. What happens when Dixon asks the taxi driver to go to Welch's?
5. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine tell Dixon about Bertrand's art?
6. After Johns reads the fake letter from Dixon, what does he do?
7. How does Dixon help Christine get into Welch's house after the dance?
8. In Chapter 18, why is Dixon upset with Welch's offer of dinner?
9. What happens when Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
10. When Mrs. Welch accuses Dixon in Chapter 18, how does he respond?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)