|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
(a) Because Christine told Bertrand she likes Dixon.
(b) Because Dixon kicks Bertrand out of his room.
(c) Because Dixon insults Bertrand.
(d) Because Bertrand warns Dixon to stay away from Christine.
2. How does Dixon learn he has been fired from the university?
(a) Bertrand tells him.
(b) Welch sends a note.
(c) With a phone call.
(d) He is locked out of his office.
3. Why does Christine want Dixon to meet her at the train station?
(a) Because he is leaving.
(b) Because it is private.
(c) Because she is leaving.
(d) Because Bertrand won't know they are there.
4. Why does Atkinson pass out at the lecture?
(a) He is overheated.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is trying to help Dixon.
(d) He is nervous.
5. In Chapter 16, whom does Dixon pretend to be when he writes a letter to Johns?
(a) A girl Johns admires.
(b) Johns's boss.
(c) The secretary of Johns's boss.
(d) The angry boyfriend of a girl Johns admires.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, why does Christine say she has to stop seeing Dixon?
2. How does Dixon help Christine get inside Welch's after the dance?
3. In Chapter 17, why does Dixon want to call Dr. Caton?
4. When Mrs. Welch confronts Dixon about the burned sheets, what does Dixon do?
5. Why does Dixon tell Christine she shouldn't marry Bertrand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine ask Dixon to meet her at the train station?
2. When Mrs. Welch accuses Dixon in Chapter 18, how does he respond?
3. How does Margaret react when Dixon says they should stop seeing each other in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 18, what does Mrs. Welch accuse Dixon of?
5. In Chapter 17, what worries Dixon about his publication?
6. How does the audience react to Dixon's lecture?
7. After the dance, why does Dixon have the taxi wait around the corner?
8. In Chapter 17, how does Welch interfere with Dixon's work on the "Merrie England" lecture?
9. While in the taxi after the dance, how does Christine describe her relationship with Bertrand?
10. After Johns reads the fake letter from Dixon, what does he do?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)