|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, whom does Dixon pretend to be when he writes a letter to Johns?
(a) Johns's boss.
(b) A girl Johns admires.
(c) The secretary of Johns's boss.
(d) The angry boyfriend of a girl Johns admires.
2. While in the taxi after the dance, what reason does Christine give Dixon for why her previous relationships ended?
(a) She didn't want to be seduced.
(b) The men always cheated on her.
(c) The men were too old.
(d) She was too picky.
3. In Chapter 13, what does the taxi driver say about driving to Welch's?
(a) That he doesn't know how to get there.
(b) That it's too far.
(c) That it's too late to go there.
(d) That he has to charge double.
4. After their first kiss, where do Dixon and Christine agree to meet on Tuesday?
(a) A park.
(b) A hotel restaurant.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) A closed classroom.
5. In Chapter 17, why does Dixon want to call Dr. Caton?
(a) To wish him well.
(b) To ask if he needs an assistant.
(c) To try to get his old job.
(d) To talk about his article.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Johns warn Dixon of?
2. In Chapter 17, what does Welch do when he runs into Dixon at the library?
3. In Chapter 17, what time does Welch set up a meeting with Dixon?
4. While in the taxi, what does Christine say her feelings have been lately?
5. Why does Dixon deny pretending to be a reporter on the phone when accused by Mrs. Dixon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, how does Welch interfere with Dixon's work on the "Merrie England" lecture?
2. What happens when Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
3. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine reveal to Dixon about her emotional state?
4. What happens when Dixon asks the taxi driver to go to Welch's?
5. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine tell Dixon about Bertrand's art?
6. In Chapter 18, why is Dixon upset with Welch's offer of dinner?
7. How does the audience react to Dixon's lecture?
8. How does Dixon respond when Christine says she could marry without loving someone?
9. After Johns reads the fake letter from Dixon, what does he do?
10. How does Margaret react when Dixon says they should stop seeing each other in Chapter 16?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)