|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 17, why does Dixon want to call Dr. Caton?
(a) To ask if he needs an assistant.
(b) To wish him well.
(c) To try to get his old job.
(d) To talk about his article.
2. What does Dixon tell Christine should not be viewed objectively?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Dixon tell Margaret about her behavior at the dance?
(a) He says she kept leaving their table.
(b) He says she was busy with Gore-Urquhart.
(c) He says she wasn't willing to dance.
(d) He says she was too clingy.
4. What does Welch's son Michel do for a living?
5. While in the taxi after the dance, what reason does Christine give Dixon for why her previous relationships ended?
(a) She didn't want to be seduced.
(b) The men were too old.
(c) She was too picky.
(d) The men always cheated on her.
6. Why does Gore-Urquhart call Dixon in Chapter 23?
(a) To buy his lecture from him.
(b) To make fun of him.
(c) To offer him a job.
(d) To apologize for the lecture experience.
7. While in the taxi, what does Christine ask Dixon about her relationship with Bertrand?
(a) If he is a good match for her.
(b) If she is doing the right thing.
(c) If she should marry him.
(d) If he is cheating on her.
8. How does Dixon help Christine get inside Welch's after the dance?
(a) He uses his key.
(b) He finds a flashlight.
(c) He picks the door lock.
(d) He crawls through a window.
9. At the end of Chapter 16, where does Dixon decide to go?
(a) His office.
(c) To Welch's.
(d) To the pub.
10. After their first kiss, what does Dixon ask Christine to do?
(a) Break up with Bertrand.
(b) Keep it a secret.
(c) Start an affair.
(d) Have tea with him later.
11. What happens when Dixon slides across the driver's seat of Welch's car in Chapter 18?
(a) He rips his shirt.
(b) He falls out of the door.
(c) He tears his pants.
(d) He gets his foot stuck.
12. In Chapter 18, what does Bertrand say to Dixon about Christine?
(a) That she hates him.
(b) That he's wasting his time on her.
(c) That he needs to treat her well.
(d) That she will trick him.
13. In Chapter 21, how does Bertrand threaten Dixon?
(a) He says he'll tell Christine about the fight.
(b) He says he'll ruin his lecture.
(c) He says he'll have him fired.
(d) He says he'll sue him.
14. In Chapter 18, why doesn't Dixon eat dinner with the Welches?
(a) They tell him to go home.
(b) He pretends to be sick.
(c) He doesn't want to stay late.
(d) They are going to a play.
15. After the dance, why does Christine have a hard time getting in Welch's house?
(a) She doesn't want to leave.
(b) It's dark.
(c) It's locked.
(d) It's raining.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the meeting Welch makes with Dixon in Chapter 17 interfere with his plans?
2. While in the taxi after the dance, to whom does Dixon compare Bertrand?
3. What happens when Dixon asks Dr. Caton for a publication date?
4. After their first kiss, where do Dixon and Christine agree to meet on Tuesday?
5. What do Gore-Urquhart and Dixon agree upon about the lecture?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)