|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dixon help Christine get inside Welch's after the dance?
(a) He picks the door lock.
(b) He crawls through a window.
(c) He finds a flashlight.
(d) He uses his key.
2. What happens at the end of Dixon's lecture?
(a) He throws up.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He is dragged off stage.
(d) He jumps into the crowd.
3. Where does the taxi stop on the way to Welch's?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A gas station.
(c) A rest stop.
(d) A bar.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Dixon tell Margaret about her behavior at the dance?
(a) He says she was too clingy.
(b) He says she wasn't willing to dance.
(c) He says she kept leaving their table.
(d) He says she was busy with Gore-Urquhart.
5. In Chapter 13, whom does Dixon talk to while waiting for Christine to come outside?
(a) The Barclays.
(c) No one.
6. In Chapter 18, why does Dixon slide across the driver's seat of Welch's car?
(a) Because Welch needs help.
(b) Because Welch tells him to.
(c) Because Dixon doesn't want to step on Welch's plants.
(d) Because he can't open his own door.
7. How does Dixon learn he has been fired from the university?
(a) He is locked out of his office.
(b) Bertrand tells him.
(c) Welch sends a note.
(d) With a phone call.
8. While in the taxi, what does Christine ask Dixon about her relationship with Bertrand?
(a) If she should marry him.
(b) If she is doing the right thing.
(c) If he is cheating on her.
(d) If he is a good match for her.
9. Where does Dixon tell the cab to wait in Chapter 13?
(a) Behind the building.
(b) Down the block.
(c) In front of the building.
(d) Around the corner.
10. Where does Dr. L. S. Caton get a job?
11. Why does Gore-Urquhart call Dixon in Chapter 23?
(a) To offer him a job.
(b) To make fun of him.
(c) To apologize for the lecture experience.
(d) To buy his lecture from him.
12. In Chapter 17, what does Welch do when he runs into Dixon at the library?
(a) Tells him to finish his lecture sooner.
(b) Gives him a second lecture job.
(c) Gives him a list of books to check out.
(d) Asks him to leave.
13. While in the taxi, what does Christine say her feelings have been lately?
14. Where does Mr. Catchpole want to meet with Dixon in Chapter 19?
(a) The pub.
(b) The library.
(c) Welch's house.
(d) His office.
15. How does the audience respond when Dixon starts giving his lecture?
(a) They start to leave.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They throw things.
(d) They boo him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, what makes Dixon nervous about giving the lecture?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Bertrand say to Dixon about Christine?
3. While in the taxi after the dance, to whom does Dixon compare Bertrand?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Dixon tell Margaret about their relationship?
5. What happens when Dixon asks Dr. Caton for a publication date?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)