|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does the taxi driver say about driving to Welch's?
(a) That he doesn't know how to get there.
(b) That it's too far.
(c) That it's too late to go there.
(d) That he has to charge double.
2. In Chapter 17, what does Welch do when he runs into Dixon at the library?
(a) Gives him a list of books to check out.
(b) Tells him to finish his lecture sooner.
(c) Asks him to leave.
(d) Gives him a second lecture job.
3. Who tells Dixon to meet Christine at the train station?
(d) Christine herself.
4. Why does Dixon tell Christine she shouldn't marry Bertrand?
(a) Because she hasn't found love yet.
(b) Because he is only interested in himself.
(c) Because she is too young.
(d) Because he is too old.
5. While in the taxi, what does Christine say her feelings have been lately?
6. What do Dixon and Christine do after their first kiss?
(a) Have coffee.
(c) Leave immediately.
(d) Go to sleep.
7. Where does Dr. L. S. Caton get a job?
8. In Chapter 15, why does Dixon hurry out a window?
(a) He hears the Welches.
(b) He doesn't want to spend the night.
(c) He doesn't want to hurt Christine's feelings.
(d) He knows the door squeaks.
9. Why does Dixon deny pretending to be a reporter on the phone when accused by Mrs. Dixon?
(a) He doesn't want Bertrand to find out the interview was a fake.
(b) He wants to protect Christine.
(c) He doesn't want Welch to be angry.
(d) He fears losing his job over it.
10. What does Dixon tell Christine should not be viewed objectively?
11. Why does Christine give money to Dixon at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) As a gift.
(b) Dixon doesn't know why.
(c) To pay him back for the drinks.
(d) For a taxi.
12. In Chapter 17, why does Dixon want to call Dr. Caton?
(a) To try to get his old job.
(b) To wish him well.
(c) To talk about his article.
(d) To ask if he needs an assistant.
13. While in the taxi after the dance, to whom does Dixon compare Bertrand?
(b) A child.
14. Where does Mr. Catchpole want to meet with Dixon in Chapter 19?
(a) His office.
(b) Welch's house.
(c) The library.
(d) The pub.
15. In Chapter 17, what time does Welch set up a meeting with Dixon?
(a) Five o'clock.
(b) Four o'clock.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) Seven o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what is Johns's reaction to the letter he receives?
2. In Chapter 24, what does Catchpole warn Dixon about?
3. Why do Dixon and Bertrand get into a fistfight?
4. At the end of Chapter 16, where does Dixon decide to go?
5. Where does Dixon tell the cab to wait in Chapter 13?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)