|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gore-Urquhart help Dixon before his lecture?
(a) He pays him.
(b) He gives him a drink of whiskey.
(c) He says he'll give the lecture instead.
(d) He gives him words of advice.
2. How does Dixon learn he has been fired from the university?
(a) He is locked out of his office.
(b) With a phone call.
(c) Bertrand tells him.
(d) Welch sends a note.
3. Why does Atkinson pass out at the lecture?
(a) He is overheated.
(b) He is trying to help Dixon.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He is nervous.
4. What does Dixon tell Christine should not be viewed objectively?
5. In Chapter 16, how does Atkinson try to stop Margaret's fit for the second time?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He throws water on her.
(d) He gives her alcohol.
6. In Chapter 18, where does Dixon invite Margaret?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To play games.
(c) To dinner.
(d) To tea.
7. Where does the taxi stop on the way to Welch's?
(a) A rest stop.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A bar.
8. In Chapter 18, how does Dixon describe his relationship with Margaret?
(a) As fate.
(b) As torture.
(c) As a mockery.
(d) As a duty.
9. While in the taxi after the dance, what does Christine say about dating an artist?
(a) That it's easier than dating other men.
(b) That it's harder than dating other men.
(c) That it's more romantic than dating other men.
(d) That it gets boring when he talks about his work.
10. What does Welch's son Michel do for a living?
11. In Chapter 17, what is Johns's reaction to the letter he receives?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is bored.
12. Why does Christine give money to Dixon at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Dixon doesn't know why.
(b) As a gift.
(c) For a taxi.
(d) To pay him back for the drinks.
13. What day of the week is it in the beginning of Chapter 17?
14. In Chapter 17, why does Dixon want to call Dr. Caton?
(a) To wish him well.
(b) To talk about his article.
(c) To ask if he needs an assistant.
(d) To try to get his old job.
15. In Chapter 16, what is Margaret's reaction to Dixon's opinion about their relationship?
(a) She laughs in his face.
(b) She starts to yell in anger.
(c) She makes fun of him.
(d) She cries hysterically.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, what makes Dixon nervous about giving the lecture?
2. Where does Dixon punch Bertrand?
3. Why does Dixon tell Christine she shouldn't marry Bertrand?
4. What happens when Dixon slides across the driver's seat of Welch's car in Chapter 18?
5. While in the taxi after the dance, to whom does Dixon compare Bertrand?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)