|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what reason does Dixon give for leaving Welch's early?
(a) His parents are in town.
(b) Someone needs him at home.
(c) He has a date.
(d) He has to return to work.
2. Who tells Welch about Dixon's fake phone call from Atkinson?
3. What does Dixon do at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Call Bertrand.
(b) Write a letter to his publisher.
(c) Ask Christine to the dance.
(d) Take a nap.
4. Why does Dixon put up with Mr. Michie's questions
(a) Because he has professional power.
(b) Because he is a friend.
(c) Because his girlfriend is pretty.
(d) Because Dixon has nothing else to do.
5. How long is Dixon's probationary teaching period at the university?
(a) Three years.
(b) One semester.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
6. In Chapter 8, why is Welch concerned with the publication date of Dixon's article?
(a) Welch doesn't want it to compete with his article.
(b) Dixon's job depends on it.
(c) He wants to put an ad in the paper.
(d) The publisher sometimes doesn't follow through.
7. In Chapter 5, what impresses Dixon about Margaret after he uses the bathroom?
(a) She didn't watch.
(b) She asks if he is all right.
(c) She has put on lipstick.
(d) She invites him to talk.
8. In Chapter 3, why does Dixon want to rush to the bus?
(a) To get the cheaper ticket.
(b) To get to Welch's quickly.
(c) To avoid riding with a man he dislikes.
(d) To visit his parents.
9. What kind of dancing does Bertrand's fiancée do?
10. In Chapter 6, how long does Dixon wait before going downstairs to breakfast?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) An hour.
(d) Two hours.
11. How does Margaret react to the burn holes Dixon left in his room?
(a) With humor.
(b) She offers to help hide them.
(c) With disgust.
(d) She ignores Dixon.
12. Why is Bertrand excited to meet Mr. Julius Gore-Urquhart?
(a) Because he is famous.
(b) Because he is an art patron.
(c) Because he is looking for someone to manage his rental properties.
(d) Because he is wise.
13. How does Dixon try to hide the burn hole in the rug at Welch's?
(a) He cuts it out.
(b) He covers it with furniture.
(c) He flips the rug over.
(d) He rolls the rug up.
14. How does Dixon feel about seeing Margaret for the first time since she left the hospital?
15. In Chapter 2, why does Margaret thank Dixon?
(a) For sending her flowers.
(b) For buying her drinks.
(c) For comforting her.
(d) For giving her space.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking with Michie about the class syllabus, what does Dixon decide to do?
2. Where does Dixon go after being kicked out of Margaret's room in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Dixon take Welch's phone call in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 4, what is wrong with the song Welch chooses for Dixon to sing?
5. What does Welch ask Dixon to do at the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)