|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dixon know Margaret?
(a) She is an ex-girlfriend.
(b) She is a student.
(c) She is one of his bosses.
(d) She is also a lecturer.
2. In Chapter 12, why does Dixon say he wouldn't attempt to go after Christine romantically?
(a) Because he has to be careful of Margaret.
(b) Because she is out of his class.
(c) Because he doesn't like her.
(d) Because he respects Bertrand.
3. What does Dixon ask Mr. Atkinson to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Loan him money for a bus ticket.
(b) Read his article.
(c) Go out with him for drinks.
(d) Call him at Welch's.
4. In Chapter 1, why does Welch say he wants to see Dixon's article published?
(a) To help him keep his job.
(b) To bring honor to their department.
(c) To help Dixon out financially.
(d) To feel proud as a mentor.
5. What does Welch ask Dixon to do at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Stay the night at his house.
(b) Give a lecture.
(c) Talk to Margaret.
(d) Write another article.
6. Why does Johns laugh at Dixon in Chapter 4?
(a) For not learning his musical parts in time for the festival.
(b) For having a poor singing voice.
(c) For lying about being able to read music.
(d) For being the shortest man in the choir.
7. Whom does Carol end up going to the dance with?
(b) No one.
(d) Bertrand's brother.
8. In Chapter 4, what is wrong with the song Welch chooses for Dixon to sing?
(a) It's in a different language.
(b) It is very long.
(c) It has a solo.
(d) Part of the sheet music is missing.
9. What does Dixon do when he learns his article will be published in Chapter 3?
(a) Calls his friends.
10. What does Christine do when Dixon tells Margaret about the burn holes in Chapter 7?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She hides.
(c) She interrupts.
(d) She threatens Dixon.
11. What does Dixon worry about when Johns walks in the room after his phone call with Christine in Chapter 9?
(a) If Johns knows Christine.
(b) If Johns has money.
(c) If Johns was listening in.
(d) If Johns needs something.
12. In Chapter 12, what does Christine say about Bertrand's motives that evening?
(a) She doesn't know why he is there.
(b) He wants to talk to Gore-Urquhart.
(c) He wants to look at other women.
(d) He wants to have Christine all to himself.
13. In Chapter 8, why is Welch concerned with the publication date of Dixon's article?
(a) Welch doesn't want it to compete with his article.
(b) He wants to put an ad in the paper.
(c) Dixon's job depends on it.
(d) The publisher sometimes doesn't follow through.
14. What happens after Dixon and Christine talk about the "Evening Post" trick Dixon pulled?
(a) They dance slower.
(b) They dance closer.
(c) They stop dancing.
(d) They stop talking.
15. In Chapter 1, how does Dixon describe Welch's feelings toward music?
(a) He says it is Welch's friend.
(b) He says it is Welch's career.
(c) He says it is Welch's passion.
(d) He says it is Welch's bane.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dixon burn a hole in the rug at Welch's?
2. After talking with Michie about the class syllabus, what does Dixon decide to do?
3. Why does Dixon ask Margaret to the dance?
4. What does Dixon do after being kicked out of Margaret's room in Chapter 5?
5. How long is Dixon's probationary teaching period at the university?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)