|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, why does Christine call?
(a) To try to find Bertrand.
(b) To say she'll be out of town.
(c) To ask about the dance.
(d) To speak to Carol.
2. After dancing with Carol in Chapter 12, how does Dixon describe Christine's appearance?
(a) She looks bored.
(b) She looks confused.
(c) She looks angry.
(d) She looks excited.
3. How does Dixon try to hide the burn hole in the rug at Welch's?
(a) He cuts it out.
(b) He flips the rug over.
(c) He covers it with furniture.
(d) He rolls the rug up.
4. Whom is Carol Goldsmith married to?
(a) A tenure-track professor.
(b) A dean.
(c) A financial aid officer.
(d) A lecturer.
5. What does Bertrand criticize Dixon for missing at the art festival?
(a) His notes.
(b) The introductions.
(c) The point of the event.
(d) The food.
6. In Chapter 8, what does Dixon ask Welch?
(a) What his standing at the university it.
(b) How much longer his probation is.
(c) If the party went well.
(d) If he will get a raise.
7. In Chapter 4, why does Dixon pretend to sing?
(a) Because he wants to impress a girl.
(b) Because he doesn't know the words.
(c) Because he can't read music.
(d) Because he doesn't want to be heard.
8. Who tells Dixon that Welch's son will be at the art festival?
(d) Dixon overhears someone say it.
9. In Chapter 9, what does Michie say about Dixon's syllabus?
(a) That he likes it.
(b) That it is too confusing.
(c) That he thinks it's too heavy.
(d) That he thinks it's too light.
10. In Chapter 11, what confuses Dixon about Christine while dancing with her?
(a) Her true character.
(b) How she could love Bertrand.
(c) Her dreams for the future.
(d) The way she speaks.
11. In Chapter 1, what article does Welch ask Dixon about?
(a) The one about highway accidents.
(b) The one about shipbuilding techniques.
(c) The one about labor statistics.
(d) The one about bridge construction.
12. In Chapter 5, why does Dixon worry about falling asleep?
(a) Because he is wide awake.
(b) Because of what happened with Margaret.
(c) Because he can't get to his bed.
(d) Because he is drunk.
13. What musical instrument does Dixon learn he will have to play at art week?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A recorder.
(c) A piano.
(d) A violin.
14. In Chapter 3, whom does Dixon wish will join his class?
(a) The pretty girls.
(b) Students who skip class.
(c) The smartest students.
(d) Mr. Michie.
15. What allows Dixon to avoid singing the song Welch picks out at the art festival?
(a) Welch changes his mind.
(b) Bertrand walks in.
(c) Someone else demands to sing.
(d) It starts to rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Dixon's probationary teaching period at the university?
2. In Chapter 2, why does Dixon continue to agree to take part in art week?
3. When Bertrand criticizes Dixon at the art festival, who rescues him from being alone?
4. In Chapter 2, why does Margaret thank Dixon?
5. In Chapter 8, why is Welch concerned with the publication date of Dixon's article?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)