|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Welch ask Dixon to do at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Give a lecture.
(b) Talk to Margaret.
(c) Stay the night at his house.
(d) Write another article.
2. In Chapter 12, what does Carol say Margaret will do to Dixon?
(a) Treat him right.
(b) Leave him for someone else.
(c) Make him poor.
(d) Bring him down.
3. While pretending to be a reporter on the phone, what questions does Dixon ask Bertrand?
(a) Questions about his vacation.
(b) Questions about his art.
(c) Questions about his personal life.
(d) Questions about his professional goals.
4. Who offers to help Dixon hide the burn hole on the rug?
5. In Chapter 5, why does Dixon sneak to his bedroom?
(a) Because he is drunk.
(b) Because he has a secret.
(c) Because he was locked out.
(d) Because it is late.
6. In Chapter 9, what does Michie say about Dixon's syllabus?
(a) That he thinks it's too heavy.
(b) That he likes it.
(c) That he thinks it's too light.
(d) That it is too confusing.
7. At the end of Chapter 12, where does Dixon tell Christine he is going?
(a) To Welch's.
(b) To get a taxi.
(d) Back to school.
8. Where does Dixon live?
(a) A cottage.
(b) Campus apartments.
(c) A boarding house.
(d) A dorm.
9. Who tells Welch about Dixon's fake phone call from Atkinson?
10. How does Dixon try to hide the burn hole in the rug at Welch's?
(a) He rolls the rug up.
(b) He covers it with furniture.
(c) He flips the rug over.
(d) He cuts it out.
11. How does Chapter 11 begin?
(a) With Bertrand and Christine dancing.
(b) With Dixon and Christine dancing.
(c) With Dixon and Margaret dancing.
(d) With Carol and Gore-Urquhart dancing.
12. Why does Johns laugh at Dixon in Chapter 4?
(a) For being the shortest man in the choir.
(b) For lying about being able to read music.
(c) For having a poor singing voice.
(d) For not learning his musical parts in time for the festival.
13. In Chapter 12, what is the first thing Carol asks Dixon?
(a) How to get a job at the university.
(b) How to make more money.
(c) What he knows about Christine.
(d) What do to about Bertrand.
14. How long is Dixon's probationary teaching period at the university?
(a) Two years.
(b) One semester.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
15. In Chapter 1, why does Welch say he wants to see Dixon's article published?
(a) To feel proud as a mentor.
(b) To help him keep his job.
(c) To help Dixon out financially.
(d) To bring honor to their department.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Dixon to dance at the end of Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 3, why does Dixon want to rush to the bus?
3. Why does Dixon take Welch's phone call in Chapter 9?
4. What makes Dixon suspicious of Bertrand and Carol in Chapter 5?
5. What does Bertrand criticize Dixon for missing at the art festival?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)