|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Margaret discuss her suicide attempt with Dixon?
(a) She won't discuss it with Dixon.
(b) With anger.
(c) With sadness.
(d) With little emotion.
2. In Chapter 1, how does Dixon describe Welch's feelings toward music?
(a) He says it is Welch's bane.
(b) He says it is Welch's passion.
(c) He says it is Welch's career.
(d) He says it is Welch's friend.
3. How does Margaret react to the burn holes Dixon left in his room?
(a) She offers to help hide them.
(b) She ignores Dixon.
(c) With humor.
(d) With disgust.
4. In Chapter 4, why does Dixon pretend to sing?
(a) Because he can't read music.
(b) Because he wants to impress a girl.
(c) Because he doesn't know the words.
(d) Because he doesn't want to be heard.
5. How does Dixon insult Christine at the art festival?
(a) He doesn't shake her hand.
(b) He makes fun of her shoes.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He calls her a ballerina.
6. In Chapter 12, why does Dixon say he wouldn't attempt to go after Christine romantically?
(a) Because he has to be careful of Margaret.
(b) Because he respects Bertrand.
(c) Because he doesn't like her.
(d) Because she is out of his class.
7. In Chapter 5, what impresses Dixon about Margaret after he uses the bathroom?
(a) She has put on lipstick.
(b) She asks if he is all right.
(c) She invites him to talk.
(d) She didn't watch.
8. Who asks Dixon to dance at the end of Chapter 11?
(b) No one.
9. Who is the last person Dixon calls in Chapter 9?
(d) Mrs. Welch.
10. In Chapter 6, how long does Dixon wait before going downstairs to breakfast?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) An hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Half an hour.
11. While pretending to be a reporter on the phone, what questions does Dixon ask Bertrand?
(a) Questions about his vacation.
(b) Questions about his professional goals.
(c) Questions about his personal life.
(d) Questions about his art.
12. In Chapter 9, why does Dixon pretend not to know if Bertrand is attending the dance?
(a) He doesn't want to upset Christine.
(b) He wants to go with Christine.
(c) He doesn't want to get involved.
(d) He doesn't know for sure if he is.
13. What does Dixon do when he learns his article will be published in Chapter 3?
(d) Calls his friends.
14. What allows Dixon to avoid singing the song Welch picks out at the art festival?
(a) Welch changes his mind.
(b) It starts to rain.
(c) Someone else demands to sing.
(d) Bertrand walks in.
15. What does Dixon do at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Ask Christine to the dance.
(b) Write a letter to his publisher.
(c) Call Bertrand.
(d) Take a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what confuses Dixon about Christine while dancing with her?
2. In Chapter 7, what reason does Dixon give for leaving Welch's early?
3. What makes Dixon feel guilty about kissing Margaret in Chapter 5?
4. When Christine asks Dixon about Bertrand asking Carol to the dance in Chapter 11, how does Dixon respond?
5. After talking with Michie about the class syllabus, what does Dixon decide to do?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)