|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the flood of Paris, at what time did all the clocks stop?
2. When does Mamah write in her diary that she wants to swim in the river?
3. What book written by Ellen Key does Mamah buy and read?
4. In Chapter 5, what movie do Frank and Mamah see?
5. What type of car is Mamah attempting to start in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Louise?
2. What terrible news does Lizzie write to Mamah in Chapter 18?
3. What opportunity does Ellen offer Mamah at the end of Chapter 24?
4. Why does Mattie ask Mamah and the children to visit?
5. With whom did Mamah and Mattie stay when they handed out flyers in Colorado?
6. Who was St. Hedwig?
7. In Chapter 3, what did Mamah do when she realized she and Frank had grown too close?
8. Why does Mamah want to stay in Italy?
9. What was it like in Boone, Iowa, where Mahma lived when she was little?
10. Where do Frank and Mamah stay in Berlin, and what is it like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, Mattie feels remorse. What are some things that cause Mattie to feel remorse throughout the novel and why?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine refuses to give Frank a divorce when she learns about the affair. Why does Catherine refuse, and what does she ask for in return?
Essay Topic 3
Lizzie has never married. Why hasn't Lizzie ever married?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)