|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Transito send Florentino when he learns of her engagement to Dr. Urbino?
2. Who moves in with Florentino and his mother when he returns home from his post in the mountains?
3. Which of the following characters was obsessed with cholera?
4. How does Florentino describe brief flings?
5. Which of the following is the best definition of a refuge as it is used to describe Widow Nazaret coming to live with Florentino and his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the argument that caused Dr. Urbino and his wife to almost end their marriage after thirty years?
2. When they return from the second honeymoon what is different for Fermina?
3. What is a siesta?
4. What happens to Florentino for two weeks after he makes his second declaration of love to Fermina?
5. Who conspired with Fermina's father to compel Fermina to marry Dr. Juvenal Urbino?
6. What is one reason that Florentino considers himself old?
7. Why did Dr. Urbino decide to marry Fermina?
8. What causes Fermina to feel a growing rage every time she thinks of it?
9. What does Florentino's uncle claim there must be in order for there to be love?
10. What provides Florentino with a little hope before he resigns himself to failing at making Fermina his own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail, using examples from the novel, how the author uses the technique of foreshadowing throughout this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the women with whom Florentino had an affair were worse off after they had a liaison with him. Explain why the author chose to have the women experience events which were often worse after being with Florentino. Be sure to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of divided love. Use specific examples from the text to support your idea of what it means to have divided love.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)