|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Urbino feel when he awakes from his sleep?
2. What does Florentino place in the river to float away like the corpses?
3. Why does Fermina's father take her on a mule trek?
4. Which of the following was Florentino's mother?
5. What is Fermina's reply when Florentino finally proposes marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Florentino after he announces his continued vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love for the second time to Fermina?
2. Who conspired with Fermina's father to compel Fermina to marry Dr. Juvenal Urbino?
3. How does the author describe the feelings of Dr. Urbino's presence that Fermina has?
4. What does Florentino pledge to Fermina?
5. What does Fermina begin to wonder when she sees Florentino sitting on the bench where he had once courted her?
6. What does Dr. Urbino associate the scent from cyanide with?
7. What books does Florentino hope to have published?
8. What event causes Fermina to decide finally to marry Dr. Juvenal Urbino?
9. What promise does Fermina insist be part of the bargain as she agrees to marry Florentino?
10. What does Florentino document in twenty-five notebooks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the women with whom Florentino had an affair were worse off after they had a liaison with him. Explain why the author chose to have the women experience events which were often worse after being with Florentino. Be sure to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the early parts of the novel, Fermina believes that one could be happy not only without love, but despite it. Make a judgment about the accuracy of this statement. Use information from the text and your own life to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
The author often uses a light tone when writing. However, the narrator is also often quite harsh when making comments on the characters. Describe why this difference might exist. Use details from the text to enhance your description.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)