|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes how Fermina Daza acted during the funeral and wake for her husband?
2. How does Fermina treat Florentino when she comes face to face with him in the market place?
3. How do you think Dr. Urbino felt about Paris?
4. What does the one letter which Florentino delivers to Fermina pledge?
5. Who moves in with Florentino and his mother when he returns home from his post in the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when it is said that the man had questionable business dealings?
2. How does Dr. Urbino die?
3. What is found in the letter that Florentino finds on his stoop?
4. When Fermina was seventeen, what did she become in charge of?
5. Why does Fermina agree to meet Florentino finally?
6. What does Florentino document in twenty-five notebooks?
7. Who takes advantage of Florentino as they are looking for the treasure?
8. What provides Florentino with a little hope before he resigns himself to failing at making Fermina his own?
9. What disease does Florentino's mother first think he has?
10. What is one reason that Florentino considers himself old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail, using examples from the novel, how the author uses the technique of foreshadowing throughout this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe this story had a happy ending? Why or why not? Use specific details from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the purpose of including the intestinal discomfort Florentino experienced often throughout the novel.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)