|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Urbino feel offended by what de Saint-Amour leaves for him?
(a) He is upset that he could not stop his death
(b) He is offended by the secrets kept
(c) He is upset that he knew someone with a shady past
(d) He is upset that he killed himself
2. Why had the school expelled Fermina Daza?
(a) Having sex with Florentino
(b) Not completing her work
(c) Writing love notes to Florentino
(d) Agreeing to marry before she is of age
3. How many years pass between the rejection at the market place and Florentino's repeated vows upon the death of her husband?
4. Of what did Dr. Marco Aurelio Urbino die?
(a) Civil war
(c) Falling from a ladder
5. What expansion has the fire department made as a direct result of his own civic contributions?
(a) New ladder which will reach the parrot
(b) Rescues and emergency response
(c) New fire truck
(d) A willingness to do anything for him personally
6. Which of the following was Florentino's mother?
(b) Don Pius
7. Who is Hildebranda Sanchez?
(a) Florentino's cousin
(b) Fermina's cousin
(c) Florentino's lover
(d) Fermina's friend
8. Which of the following is the best definition of a refuge as it is used to describe Widow Nazaret coming to live with Florentino and his mother?
9. How does Fermina treat Florentino when she comes face to face with him in the market place?
(a) Cold language
(b) Warm thoughts
(c) Cold dismissal
(d) Hugs and relief
10. What event will Dr. Urbino be attending which he would like to take a siesta before he must get ready for?
(a) Silver anniversary gala for a former student
(b) Gold Mass for a friend
(c) Gold anniversary gala for a former student
(d) Silver Mass for a friend
11. Where does the sewage from the city drain?
(a) Into the city streets
(b) Into the marketplace
(c) Into the river
(d) Into the water supply
12. In what way do the hymns which Florentino is playing during Mass change during his period of illness?
(a) He plays them out of tune
(b) They begin to include many errors
(c) They begin to sound more like love waltzes
(d) He plays them at a much more rapid pace
13. How do you think Dr. Urbino felt about Paris?
(a) Liked it
(b) Did not like it
(c) Enjoyed it but did not care to return
(d) Loved it
14. Which of the following is not a type of communication Florentino and Fermina shared during their two year correspondence?
(b) Short and simple
15. Where does Transito send Florentino when he learns of her engagement to Dr. Urbino?
(a) To a writing retreat
(b) To fight in the civil war
(c) On a river voyage to take up a post in the mountains
(d) To become the captain of his uncle's river boat
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what circumstances does Dr. Urbino meet Fermina Daza?
2. How old is Florentino in chapter one of this novel?
3. What is the name of the narrator?
4. What "punishment" was inflicted upon Dr. Urbino during the argument over the soap in the bathroom?
5. How long is the mule trek on which Fermina goes with her father?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)