|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Fermina Daza when Florentino sees her for the first time?
2. What is Fermina's reply when Florentino finally proposes marriage?
(a) Very well, I will marry you if you promise to be faithful
(b) Very, well, I will marry you if you promise not to make me eat eggplant
(c) Very well, I will marry you if you promise not to make me eat eggs
(d) Very well, I will marry you if you promise me everlasting love
3. What was Jeremiah de Saint-Amour's profession?
(d) Government official
4. Why had Florentino maintained his virginity even through his days at the brothel?
(a) He was afraid of women
(b) His illness prevented him from taking a mate
(c) He was saving himself for Fermina
(d) He was impotent
5. How do Florentino and Fermina correspond while she is on her trek?
6. Why did de Saint-Amour make this vow?
(a) To become a happier person
(b) To please his lover
(c) Because he was disabled
(d) To avoid suffering the ravages of old age
7. How does Dr. Urbino feel when he awakes from his sleep?
(a) Convinced his days are at an end
(b) Rejuvenated and happy
(c) Upset that his parrot has not been found
(d) Angry at his former friend and chessmate
8. Which of the following provides the best synonym for haunting as it is used in this part of a sentence: "From Florentino's days of haunting the brothel"?
9. When did Florentino stop living with his mother?
(a) Upon her death
(b) Until he started working on the riverboat
(c) Upon his eighteenth birthday
(d) Until he met Fermina
10. How did Juvenal Urbino know Jeremiah de Saint-Amour?
(a) They were lovers
(b) He photographed him
(c) He bought art from him
(d) They played chess
11. What job does Florentino use to support himself when he first sees Fermina Daza?
(a) Post office delivery
(b) Post office master general
(c) Riverboat trash collector
(d) Riverboat driver
12. Which of the following is a synonym for paramour?
13. What is the name of the harbor town that is the setting for this novel?
14. How many years were Fermina and Dr. Urbino married when the soap in the bathroom incident occurred?
15. How many pages of love declarations has Florentino been writing to Fermina without her knowledge?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes the recounting of the narrator in this novel?
2. What business did Florentino's father help to found?
3. Which of the following two "crimes" did de Saint-Amour confess to in his final letter?
4. Where did Dr. Urbino study?
5. Why do Florentino's work and violin play suffer?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)