* Dr. Urbino is called to a friends house certify the death of a disabled man.
* The disabled man did not want to become old, so he committed suicide.
* He used cyanide, which leaves behind a smell like bitter almonds. This reminds Dr. Urbino of unrequited love.
* Narrator tells of very strong bond between Dr. Urbino and his wife.
* Though they fight about trivial things, they remain together and in love.
* This tale provides the introduction of the main characters of this chapter: Dr. Urbino and his wife Fermina.
* Dr. Urbino returns home, hoping to nap after certifying the death.
* Dr. Urbino's nap hopes end when the household parrot escapes.
* He tells them to send for the fire department.
* In bed that night, he becomes convinced his days are limited
* While he is awake, he sees the parrot in a tree.
* He gets out a ladder and climbs...
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)