|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fact that Lyman cannot keep the positions of the North and South Vietnamese soldiers straight implies:
2. To drown out the sight and sound of June's ghost, what does Gordie do?
3. Lulu is interested in Marie because:
4. For what is Lipsha tired of thanking his grandmother?
5. Lipsha believes Nector is having a "second childhood" because:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles of men and women in Erdrich's novel. In your essay, reflect on the traditional roles portrayed by the male and female characters, and the characters who defy tradition. Describe Erdrich's attitude toward the traditional roles of men and women, and use examples to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the structure of Erdrich's novel. In your essay, evaluate the effectiveness of the short-story-like chapters and multiple narrators. Does Erdrich's structure add to or detract from the themes? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of whiteness in Erdrich's novel. What connotations does whiteness carry in people, object, society, situations, etc? What idea is Erdrich revealing about whiteness in her novel? Support your point with specific examples.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)