|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Lipsha "the only one that's ignorant?"
2. The fact that Lyman cannot keep the positions of the North and South Vietnamese soldiers straight implies:
3. What is Lipsha's love medicine?
4. Lulu believes she cannot cry because:
5. How does Lyman describe the image of himself and Henry in their last photo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A character foil contrasts with the protagonist or another character in order to clarify or sharpen certain aspects of their personalities. Choose any two characters from the novel and describe the relationship between them as that of character foils. Identify any personalty traits they share or traits that show a contrast between them.
Essay Topic 2
The novel's title, Love Medicine, is also the title of one of the chapters within. Consider Erdrich's reasons for choosing the chapter title to represent the whole novel. In your essay, defend or reject Erdrich's choice for the novel using evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Erdrich's characters honor and betray loyalties to one another throughout the novel. Identify three examples of loyalty or betrayal in the novel, and determine Erdrich's message about either motif in Love Medicine.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)