|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cold weather that drives Henry and Lyman back to the reservation after their visit to Alaska foreshadows:
2. Dot's most outstanding characteristic is:
3. After Gordie kills the deer with the crow bar:
4. Gordie sees another example of the universe's contempt for him when:
5. Lipsha believes his grandmother will not blame him entirely for Nector's death because:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich often uses animals to symbolize ideas or make connections in her novel. Choose three examples of animals as symbols in Love Medicine, and use them to support a central idea in Erdrich's text. Consider who or what the animals represent, and how Erdrich is using them to communicate a theme or message.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the roles of men and women in Erdrich's novel. In your essay, reflect on the traditional roles portrayed by the male and female characters, and the characters who defy tradition. Describe Erdrich's attitude toward the traditional roles of men and women, and use examples to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
The stories in Erdrich's novel are sometimes told in first person point of view, and sometimes in third person point of view. Consider the effect this choice has on the reader's understanding of characters and events. Using specific examples, defend or refute Erdrich's choice to vary point of view in her novel.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)