|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gordie sees another example of the universe's contempt for him when:
2. When Albertine says she "would never know how heavy a ton was unless it fell on [her]" she suggests:
3. What is Lipsha's love medicine?
4. Sister Mary uses her clarinet to:
5. Albertine believes Gerry's main problem is:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stories in Erdrich's novel are sometimes told in first person point of view, and sometimes in third person point of view. Consider the effect this choice has on the reader's understanding of characters and events. Using specific examples, defend or refute Erdrich's choice to vary point of view in her novel.
Essay Topic 2
Essayist Agnes Repplier said, "Humor brings insight and tolerance. Irony brings a deeper and less friendly understanding." Considering Erdrich's use of humor and irony, defend, refute, or qualify Repplier's statement in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Forgiveness plays a prominent role in Erdrich's novel. Choose three occasions in which characters show or are shown forgiveness in the novel, and use them to support a statement you believe Erdrich is saying about the nature of forgiveness.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)