|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marie says she "did for Nector what [she] learned from the nun," she means:
2. Why does everyone seem wary of King's new car?
3. Nector does not notice Marie because:
4. Nector's inability to make decisions often leads to:
5. In observing Lulu's close-knit sons, Beverly is reminded of the fact that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author have Zelda find the letter from Nector rather than Marie?
2. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
3. Describe the voice of Lyman Lamartine as narrator.
4. Explain the symbol of the red convertible.
5. How does Erdrich describe Gordie's limited perception of reality (caused by his drunkenness)?
6. What is Nector's opinion of Marie's family?
7. Describe Albertine's motivation for staying with Henry though she is afraid.
8. Describe Lipsha's relationship with his grandparents.
9. Describe Leopolda now that she is old and dying.
10. What is the tone of the meeting between Lulu and Marie at the end of the chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich often uses animals to symbolize ideas or make connections in her novel. Choose three examples of animals as symbols in Love Medicine, and use them to support a central idea in Erdrich's text. Consider who or what the animals represent, and how Erdrich is using them to communicate a theme or message.
Essay Topic 2
Richard R. Grant said, "The value of identity of course is that so often with it comes purpose." Choose three characters from the novel whose identity is revealed through purpose and write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Grant's statement.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the concept of family in Love Medicine. Using characters from the novel as examples, identify the author's definition of family and write an essay clarifying this definition.
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)