|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Grandpa Kashpaw changed since Albertine last saw him?
2. Nector's only movie role was:
3. Eli and Nector's partnership works because:
4. Marie laughs at Nector when he accuses her of stealing the pillowcase because:
5. When Marie pours syrup on her hand while thinking of Leopolda, the scene reminds the reader of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gerry and his unborn child have in common?
2. Describe Nector and Lulu's relationship.
3. Why did the author have Zelda find the letter from Nector rather than Marie?
4. Describe Leopolda now that she is old and dying.
5. Describe Albertine's motivation for staying with Henry though she is afraid.
6. What might the eggs Andy peels, and June consumes, represent? What do eggs symbolize?
7. Identify two examples of irony in the chapter.
8. What images of dark and light might symbolize good and bad in "Saint Marie?"
9. Describe the voice of Lyman Lamartine as narrator.
10. Describe Lipsha's relationship with his grandparents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the structure of Erdrich's novel. In your essay, evaluate the effectiveness of the short-story-like chapters and multiple narrators. Does Erdrich's structure add to or detract from the themes? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the evidence of pride in the novel. Defend, refute, or qualify the notion that pride is one of the primary vices using at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of whiteness in Erdrich's novel. What connotations does whiteness carry in people, object, society, situations, etc? What idea is Erdrich revealing about whiteness in her novel? Support your point with specific examples.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)