|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nector's inability to make decisions often leads to:
2. How are Marie and Rushes Bear "related" by the end of the story?
3. When Nector arrives, what does Marie do with the letter?
4. Albertine is hardly acknowledged when she arrives at home because:
5. Henry's casket bears a Nazi flag because:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mood of the chapter suggest about Nector and Marie's future?
2. What does the motif of coldness suggest in the chapter?
3. What effect does the third person limited point of view have on the reader's understanding of characters in the chapter entitled "Lulu's Boys?"
4. Describe Lulu's relationship with Lyman.
5. What part do the geese play in Nector's meeting with Marie?
6. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
7. The motif of forgiveness in "Flesh and Blood" comes through most clearly in what two events?
8. Describe Lipsha's relationship with his grandparents.
9. Explain the symbol of the red convertible.
10. What does the motif of effort in chapter 6 reveal about Nector?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich uses multiple narrators to tell her characters' stories. Consider the voices of the narrators and write and essay in which you identify the most effective voice in the novel. Use at least three examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Erdrich uses some Native American dialect in her novel.Choose at least three examples of dialect from the novel and explain how they contribute to the reader's understanding of character, theme, or conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the structure of Erdrich's novel. In your essay, evaluate the effectiveness of the short-story-like chapters and multiple narrators. Does Erdrich's structure add to or detract from the themes? Why?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)