|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sentence "The sun falls down the side of the world and the hill goes dark," suggests:
2. Why does June carry a doorknob in her purse?
3. Inside the bar, June decides to stay with Andy because:
4. When Marie pours syrup on her hand while thinking of Leopolda, the scene reminds the reader of what?
5. Marie discovers later in her life that the convent:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marie's relationship with her children, Zelda and Gordie, when they were infants versus now that they are grown.
2. Why is the chapter presented in third person?
3. What does the motif of coldness suggest in the chapter?
4. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
5. Describe Leopolda now that she is old and dying.
6. What does the mood of the chapter suggest about Nector and Marie's future?
7. What effect do the sentence fragments have on events in the chapter?
8. What might the eggs Andy peels, and June consumes, represent? What do eggs symbolize?
9. Describe Lulu's relationship with Lyman.
10. Describe Marie and Leopolda's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the structure of Erdrich's novel. In your essay, evaluate the effectiveness of the short-story-like chapters and multiple narrators. Does Erdrich's structure add to or detract from the themes? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the evidence of pride in the novel. Defend, refute, or qualify the notion that pride is one of the primary vices using at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Erdrich often uses animals to symbolize ideas or make connections in her novel. Choose three examples of animals as symbols in Love Medicine, and use them to support a central idea in Erdrich's text. Consider who or what the animals represent, and how Erdrich is using them to communicate a theme or message.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)