|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fish images in the story imply:
2. Who is Nector afraid might have witnessed his tryst with Marie?
3. June is like Marie in that:
4. In her vision, Marie sees herself as:
5. Why does Albertine feel the government's policy of allotment was a joke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
2. Aside from good and evil, what other conflicting forces is Marie struggling with?
3. Describe Lulu from Beverly's perspective.
4. Describe the character of Sister Mary Martin de Porres.
5. Explain the symbol of the red convertible.
6. Consider the title "Crown of Thorns." What is suggested by the title and the use of the phrase within the chapter?
7. What does the mood of the chapter suggest about Nector and Marie's future?
8. Describe King's behavior in this chapter.
9. How does Beverly's past as a veteran affect his thoughts about Lulu?
10. Consider the chapter title "The Bridge." Explain the meaning you derive from this title.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich often uses animals to symbolize ideas or make connections in her novel. Choose three examples of animals as symbols in Love Medicine, and use them to support a central idea in Erdrich's text. Consider who or what the animals represent, and how Erdrich is using them to communicate a theme or message.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of boundaries in Love Medicine. Considering the physical and psychological boundaries many characters face, choose three pivotal examples in the novel, and identify a possible statement the author makes through the examples.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the concept of family in Love Medicine. Using characters from the novel as examples, identify the author's definition of family and write an essay clarifying this definition.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)