|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. June was raised by:
2. What does June's "birth" from the truck foreshadow?
3. Metaphorically, Marie appeals to Nector because:
4. Marie smiles when she hears the Dark One in the closet because:
5. Nector's experiences with women have:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe King's behavior in this chapter.
2. Explain Lipsha's fondness for "deuces wild" in poker.
3. Describe the character of Gerry Nanapush.
4. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
5. Describe Lulu from Beverly's perspective.
6. Describe the effect of Erdrich's motif of weather on the events of the chapter.
7. What part do the geese play in Nector's meeting with Marie?
8. What is Lulu's attitude toward men?
9. Describe Albertine's motivation for staying with Henry though she is afraid.
10. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles of men and women in Erdrich's novel. In your essay, reflect on the traditional roles portrayed by the male and female characters, and the characters who defy tradition. Describe Erdrich's attitude toward the traditional roles of men and women, and use examples to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Erdrich often uses animals to symbolize ideas or make connections in her novel. Choose three examples of animals as symbols in Love Medicine, and use them to support a central idea in Erdrich's text. Consider who or what the animals represent, and how Erdrich is using them to communicate a theme or message.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of whiteness in Erdrich's novel. What connotations does whiteness carry in people, object, society, situations, etc? What idea is Erdrich revealing about whiteness in her novel? Support your point with specific examples.
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)