|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marie will not pray because:
2. Leopolda strikes Marie with the oak pole because:
3. June is like Marie in that:
4. Through his movie role and his portrait, Nector learns:
5. Nector's inability to make decisions often leads to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from good and evil, what other conflicting forces is Marie struggling with?
2. Why does Lulu choose to go to the Senior Citizens Center?
3. Explain the symbol of the weigh station.
4. What do Nector's allusions to Moby Dick and Ishmael's "great white monster" suggest?
5. What might the eggs Andy peels, and June consumes, represent? What do eggs symbolize?
6. What does the mood of the chapter suggest about Nector and Marie's future?
7. Why is Albertine's first person narrative necessary to the message of the story?
8. Why did the author have Zelda find the letter from Nector rather than Marie?
9. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
10. The boat and the waves in the chapter represent what different ideas for Marie and Rushes Bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the structure of Erdrich's novel. In your essay, evaluate the effectiveness of the short-story-like chapters and multiple narrators. Does Erdrich's structure add to or detract from the themes? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Erdrich uses some Native American dialect in her novel.Choose at least three examples of dialect from the novel and explain how they contribute to the reader's understanding of character, theme, or conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Erdrich's characters honor and betray loyalties to one another throughout the novel. Identify three examples of loyalty or betrayal in the novel, and determine Erdrich's message about either motif in Love Medicine.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)