|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does everyone seem wary of King's new car?
2. Sister Leopolda's actions characterize her as:
3. To what does Nector compares Marie?
4. When Lulu goes to her bedroom to lay down and "wait," what does this imply?
5. In observing Lulu's close-knit sons, Beverly is reminded of the fact that:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
2. What is Nector's opinion of Marie's family?
3. Identify two examples of irony in the chapter.
4. Why does Lulu choose to go to the Senior Citizens Center?
5. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
6. What does the mood of the chapter suggest about Nector and Marie's future?
7. Describe Marie and Leopolda's relationship.
8. Describe Leopolda now that she is old and dying.
9. How does Marie make money to keep her family afloat?
10. What images of dark and light might symbolize good and bad in "Saint Marie?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich uses some Native American dialect in her novel.Choose at least three examples of dialect from the novel and explain how they contribute to the reader's understanding of character, theme, or conflict.
Essay Topic 2
The novel's title, Love Medicine, is also the title of one of the chapters within. Consider Erdrich's reasons for choosing the chapter title to represent the whole novel. In your essay, defend or reject Erdrich's choice for the novel using evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Richard R. Grant said, "The value of identity of course is that so often with it comes purpose." Choose three characters from the novel whose identity is revealed through purpose and write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Grant's statement.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)