|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nector accuses Marie of forcing him to be with her because:
2. Why does Albertine feel the government's policy of allotment was a joke?
3. What does Nector finally feel about the geese he was going to sell?
4. How has Grandpa Kashpaw changed since Albertine last saw him?
5. What event forces the final confrontation between Leopolda and Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lulu from Beverly's perspective.
2. Explain Lipsha's fondness for "deuces wild" in poker.
3. Describe Albertine's motivation for staying with Henry though she is afraid.
4. Describe Marie's relationship with her children, Zelda and Gordie, when they were infants versus now that they are grown.
5. Identify two examples of irony in the chapter.
6. Explain the symbol of the weigh station.
7. Describe Leopolda now that she is old and dying.
8. Why is Lulu interested in Lipsha Morrisey knowing the truth about his parents?
9. Why don't Marie's plans for Nector's success work out?
10. What effect do the sentence fragments have on events in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forgiveness plays a prominent role in Erdrich's novel. Choose three occasions in which characters show or are shown forgiveness in the novel, and use them to support a statement you believe Erdrich is saying about the nature of forgiveness.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the concept of family in Love Medicine. Using characters from the novel as examples, identify the author's definition of family and write an essay clarifying this definition.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of water in Erdrich's novel. Choose three stories in which the motif of water features prominently, then connect each of these to a theme you've identified in Erdrich's work. What is the theme you have identified, and how does the motif of water support, showcase, or develop the theme?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)