|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nector finally drives Lulu away by:
2. Leopolda strikes Marie with the oak pole because:
3. When Marie pours syrup on her hand while thinking of Leopolda, the scene reminds the reader of what?
4. Marie attempts to overthrow Leopolda and punish her by:
5. The fish images in the story imply:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Albertine's motivation for staying with Henry though she is afraid.
2. When Leopolda scolds her with the tea kettle, how does Marie's perception of her begin to change?
3. Describe Marie and Leopolda's relationship.
4. Consider the motif of brokenness in chapter 1. Choose two people or events, or things that are "broken" and make a connection between them.
5. Describe Leopolda now that she is old and dying.
6. The motif of forgiveness in "Flesh and Blood" comes through most clearly in what two events?
7. How is the title "Love Medicine" reflected in the chapter itself.
8. How does Marie make money to keep her family afloat?
9. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
10. Why is Albertine's first person narrative necessary to the message of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich uses some Native American dialect in her novel.Choose at least three examples of dialect from the novel and explain how they contribute to the reader's understanding of character, theme, or conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Erdrich uses multiple narrators to tell her characters' stories. Consider the voices of the narrators and write and essay in which you identify the most effective voice in the novel. Use at least three examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Essayist Agnes Repplier said, "Humor brings insight and tolerance. Irony brings a deeper and less friendly understanding." Considering Erdrich's use of humor and irony, defend, refute, or qualify Repplier's statement in your essay.
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)