|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marie says she "did for Nector what [she] learned from the nun," she means:
2. Why does Marie love to go to Mass as a child?
3. When Nector believes he is looking at 14-year-old Marie at the end of the chapter, he is actually looking at:
4. What does Leopolda's big key open?
5. When Marie pours syrup on her hand while thinking of Leopolda, the scene reminds the reader of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Consider the chapter title "The Bridge." Explain the meaning you derive from this title.
2. Several references in the chapter compare Marie to a fish. What are connotations of these comparisons?
3. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
4. Describe the mood of the final day Lyman and Henry spend together.
5. What do Nector's allusions to Moby Dick and Ishmael's "great white monster" suggest?
6. Describe Lulu's relationship with Lyman.
7. The boat and the waves in the chapter represent what different ideas for Marie and Rushes Bear?
8. How does Erdrich describe Gordie's limited perception of reality (caused by his drunkenness)?
9. What part do the geese play in Nector's meeting with Marie?
10. The motif of forgiveness in "Flesh and Blood" comes through most clearly in what two events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the concept of family in Love Medicine. Using characters from the novel as examples, identify the author's definition of family and write an essay clarifying this definition.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of whiteness in Erdrich's novel. What connotations does whiteness carry in people, object, society, situations, etc? What idea is Erdrich revealing about whiteness in her novel? Support your point with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Erdrich uses multiple narrators to tell her characters' stories. Consider the voices of the narrators and write and essay in which you identify the most effective voice in the novel. Use at least three examples to support your argument.
This section contains 1,707 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)