|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The conversation between Zelda and Aurelia suggests what about their personalities?
2. Albertine's mother does not tell her about June's death because:
3. Why is Albertine angry at Lipsha when she tries to break up King and Lynette's fight?
4. What interrupts Eli and Marie's exchange in the kitchen?
5. What feeling will not allow Marie to rejoice in her defeat of Leopolda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbol of the weigh station.
2. Describe the effect of Erdrich's motif of weather on the events of the chapter.
3. Describe the mood of the final day Lyman and Henry spend together.
4. What does the motif of effort in chapter 6 reveal about Nector?
5. What does the mood of the chapter suggest about Nector and Marie's future?
6. Why did the author have Zelda find the letter from Nector rather than Marie?
7. Why don't Marie's plans for Nector's success work out?
8. Describe Lulu from Beverly's perspective.
9. Aside from good and evil, what other conflicting forces is Marie struggling with?
10. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erdrich often uses animals to symbolize ideas or make connections in her novel. Choose three examples of animals as symbols in Love Medicine, and use them to support a central idea in Erdrich's text. Consider who or what the animals represent, and how Erdrich is using them to communicate a theme or message.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of water in Erdrich's novel. Choose three stories in which the motif of water features prominently, then connect each of these to a theme you've identified in Erdrich's work. What is the theme you have identified, and how does the motif of water support, showcase, or develop the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Authors often use the last line of their text to offer thematic resolution. Choose the last line of any chapter and explain its significance in the resolution of a theme in your essay.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)