|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leopolda claims she is interested in Marie in particular because:
2. Nector finally drives Lulu away by:
3. Sister Leopolda's actions characterize her as:
4. What feeling will not allow Marie to rejoice in her defeat of Leopolda?
5. Henry's casket bears a Nazi flag because:
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Howard Kashpaw's actions reveal?
2. Several references in the chapter compare Marie to a fish. What are connotations of these comparisons?
3. What is Lulu's attitude toward men?
4. Describe the effect of Erdrich's motif of weather on the events of the chapter.
5. Describe the character of Sister Mary Martin de Porres.
6. In what way is Marie the "foundation" of Lipsha's life?
7. Explain the symbol of the weigh station.
8. Explain the course of events that leads to Lulu's house burning down.
9. Why did the author have Zelda find the letter from Nector rather than Marie?
10. Consider the chapter title "The Bridge." Explain the meaning you derive from this title.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motif of whiteness in Erdrich's novel. What connotations does whiteness carry in people, object, society, situations, etc? What idea is Erdrich revealing about whiteness in her novel? Support your point with specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the concept of family in Love Medicine. Using characters from the novel as examples, identify the author's definition of family and write an essay clarifying this definition.
Essay Topic 3
Authors often use the last line of their text to offer thematic resolution. Choose the last line of any chapter and explain its significance in the resolution of a theme in your essay.
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)