|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Albertine feel the government's policy of allotment was a joke?
(a) Most of the Native Americans left reservation land.
(b) The whites only allotted barren land to Indians.
(c) The Native Americans were never allotted land.
(d) Most of the reservation land was sold to whites anyway.
2. When Zelda delivers the letter, what does Marie do?
(a) Blames Zelda for the day's unhappy events.
(b) Tells her to change her clothes, then reads the letter.
(c) Reads the letter immediately, not caring who sees.
(d) Bursts into tears.
3. Marie discovers later in her life that the convent:
(a) Was a place for those who had abandoned the church.
(b) Was the final stop for difficult nuns.
(c) Was a kind of punishment for nuns who went astray.
(d) Was a part of the government plan to relocate Indians.
4. What event forces the final confrontation between Leopolda and Marie?
(a) Marie tries to push Leopolda into the oven.
(b) Leopolda tries to push Marie into the oven.
(c) Leopolda scalds Marie's back with the tea kettle.
(d) Marie stabs Leopolda with the poker.
5. Nector accuses Marie of forcing him to be with her because:
(a) He wants the nuns to understand his actions.
(b) He wants her to be afraid of him.
(c) He feels guilty for what he has done.
(d) He wants Lulu to hear so she won't be angry with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rushes Bear disowns Nector after the birth of his child because:
2. Nector does not notice Marie because:
3. Eli appeals to June because:
4. When Nector compares himself to a fish failing to breathe in an airless space, this comparison reflects:
5. The description of Lulu's work in the kitchen-- filling pots by pointing at them, taking things from the oven that had never been put in--suggests:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of the meeting between Lulu and Marie at the end of the chapter.
2. Describe the effect of Erdrich's motif of weather on the events of the chapter.
3. What do Beverly's blurred tattoos and weakened muscles suggest about him? What does the bird's continued flight suggest?
4. Several references in the chapter compare Marie to a fish. What are connotations of these comparisons?
5. Why don't Marie's plans for Nector's success work out?
6. Choose three examples of sensory detail from the chapter and describe their uses.
7. Describe the character of Sister Mary Martin de Porres.
8. Explain Lipsha's fondness for "deuces wild" in poker.
9. Why is the chapter presented in third person?
10. Describe Marie and Leopolda's relationship.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)