|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marie will not pray because:
(a) She doesn't remember the prayers of her childhood.
(b) She keeps her secrets to herself.
(c) She does not want to go to church.
(d) She refuses to be caught begging God.
2. Beverly "Hat" Lamartine has many nicknames because:
(a) He feels that people consider his name feminine.
(b) He has lived many places.
(c) He always wears a hat.
(d) He builds up his muscles.
3. How has Grandpa Kashpaw changed since Albertine last saw him?
(a) He has grown beligerent.
(b) He has aged considerably.
(c) He has forgotten all dates and numbers.
(d) He has grown fat.
4. The conversation between Zelda and Aurelia suggests what about their personalities?
(a) Aurelia is restrained while Zelda is generous.
(b) Aurelia is conservative while Zelda is liberal.
(c) Zelda is forgiving while Aurelia is judgemental.
(d) Zelda is judgemental while Aurelia is forgiving.
5. June is like Marie in that:
(a) She is lonely, depressed, and wants to find a way out.
(b) She is tough, distrustful, and unwilling to show vulnerability.
(c) She comes from the dirty Lazarres and wants to prove herself.
(d) She belongs in the woods with Eli.
Short Answer Questions
1. The beads around June's neck are:
2. What does June's "birth" from the truck foreshadow?
3. Rushes Bear admits she has come to stay with Marie because:
4. Marie finally confronts Rushes Bear because:
5. What interrupts Eli and Marie's exchange in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mood of the final day Lyman and Henry spend together.
2. Describe the voice of Lyman Lamartine as narrator.
3. Explain the symbol of the weigh station.
4. What does June's "hanging" teach Marie about the girl?
5. What does the motif of coldness suggest in the chapter?
6. Explain Lipsha's fondness for "deuces wild" in poker.
7. What do Beverly's blurred tattoos and weakened muscles suggest about him? What does the bird's continued flight suggest?
8. Aside from good and evil, what other conflicting forces is Marie struggling with?
9. When Leopolda scolds her with the tea kettle, how does Marie's perception of her begin to change?
10. Identify two examples of irony in the chapter.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)