|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Leopolda applies the salve to Marie's burns, Marie sees this as a sign of what?
(a) Leopolda's softening toward her.
(b) Leopolda's true nature coming through.
(c) Leopolda's place as a servant.
(d) Leopolda following her as she did in the vision.
2. Lulu claims she is putting on weight because:
(a) She does not want to admit she is pregnant, and have to reveal the baby's father.
(b) She is overwhelmed by the stress of leading a double life with Nector.
(c) She wants Nector to believe she is pregnant so he'll leave Marie for her.
(d) She is no longer taking care of herself since she has Nector back.
3. Metaphorically, Marie appeals to Nector because:
(a) He feels he can help heal the wound in her hand.
(b) She is white while others have been Indians.
(c) She is part of the whale Ishmael seeks.
(d) She is bitter while all other women have been sweet.
4. Rushes Bear disowns Nector after the birth of his child because:
(a) He calls Marie a name.
(b) He is not home for the birth of his youngest child.
(c) He has behaved selfishly and shamefully.
(d) He has refused to pay for the medicine woman.
5. What event forces the final confrontation between Leopolda and Marie?
(a) Leopolda scalds Marie's back with the tea kettle.
(b) Marie stabs Leopolda with the poker.
(c) Leopolda tries to push Marie into the oven.
(d) Marie tries to push Leopolda into the oven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Albertine feel the government's policy of allotment was a joke?
2. What does the description of the woods as shadowy and cold foreshadow?
3. In her vision, Marie sees herself as:
4. How are Marie and Rushes Bear "related" by the end of the story?
5. In what way does Albertine cause her mother's downfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erdrich describe Gordie's limited perception of reality (caused by his drunkenness)?
2. What do Beverly's blurred tattoos and weakened muscles suggest about him? What does the bird's continued flight suggest?
3. What is Lulu's attitude toward men?
4. What do Howard Kashpaw's actions reveal?
5. What is the tone of the meeting between Lulu and Marie at the end of the chapter.
6. What do Gerry and his unborn child have in common?
7. What is ironic about the day of June's death, the Saturday before Easter?
8. Consider the title "Crown of Thorns." What is suggested by the title and the use of the phrase within the chapter?
9. Describe the effect of Erdrich's motif of weather on the events of the chapter.
10. What does June's "hanging" teach Marie about the girl?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)