|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The family does not seek help for Henry's depression because:
(a) The veteran's hospital is too far away, and the medicine man thinks Henry is a lost soul.
(b) The veteran's hospital only medicates patients, and the medicine man wants revenge on Henry's mother.
(c) Henry refuses help from anyone.
(d) Henry's mother believes the medicine man is a fake, and they cannot afford the veteran's hospital.
2. Gerry and Dot's baby is like its father even before it is born because it is:
3. Nector's death could be described as:
(a) Peaceful and private.
(b) Terrifying and prolonged.
(c) Sudden and unresisted.
(d) Painless and uneventful.
4. While King and Lynette watch the newscast about Gerry's escape, Lipsha:
(a) Tries to steal the firebird.
(b) Makes himself a bowl of cereal.
(c) Tries to console Howard.
(d) Hears Gerry coming in through the kitchen window.
5. Marie's statement that "somebody had to put the tears in your eyes" suggests:
(a) She wants to hurt Lulu the way Lulu hurt her.
(b) She believes Nector's death has hurt Lulu.
(c) She sees that Lulu had to learn love and loss somehow.
(d) She knows that Lulu's son could not help her put in her eye drops.
6. In what way is Lipsha "the only one that's ignorant?"
(a) He is the only one who doesn't go to school.
(b) He is the only one who does not belong at the retirement home.
(c) He is the only one who doesn't know his mother was June.
(d) He is the only one who is not a true Kashpaw.
7. Lulu is interested in Marie because:
(a) She wants to know what Marie thought during Lulu's affair with Nector.
(b) She believes Marie is gossiping about her.
(c) She wants to snap her fingers and make Marie disappear.
(d) She wants to join one of the committees Marie organized.
8. Marie admits that Lipsha was always her favorite after:
(a) He tells her that Nector's love is what keeps his ghost by her side.
(b) Nector chokes to death.
(c) Zelda tells Lipsha to go away at the funeral.
(d) He tells her he has acquired the goose hearts.
9. The cold weather that drives Henry and Lyman back to the reservation after their visit to Alaska foreshadows:
(a) Lyman's last chance to travel off the reservation.
(b) Winter is approaching.
(c) Their fun trip is over.
(d) An unfortunate event is waiting for them at home.
10. Lulu uses the term "dreamstuff" to describe:
(a) False longing or foolishness.
(b) Unattainable dreams.
(c) Anything worth hoping for.
(d) Passion and lust.
11. Henry continues to tell himself to "advise restraint" throughout the evening in order to:
(a) Keep himself from acting suddenly or violently.
(b) Keep himself from breaking the bathroom door down.
(c) Keep himself from running away from Albertine.
(d) Keep himself from drinking too much.
12. What is Lipsha's love medicine?
(a) Lipsha will make a necklace of seed pearls that attract metal for his grandfather to wear.
(b) Lipsha will catch two frogs mating and give them to his grandparents.
(c) Lipsha will collect nail clippings and burn them as an offering.
(d) Lipsha will feed his grandparents the hearts of mated geese to keep them together.
13. When Nector appears to Lulu after his death she discovers:
(a) There is no such thing as death.
(b) She can keep him with her by saying his name aloud.
(c) He has loved her more than Marie all along.
(d) There are worlds beyond what she can see.
14. While Albertine is changing in the bathroom, Henry:
(a) Has a flashback to Viet Nam.
(b) Gets sick and passes out.
(c) Feels a desperate need to get home and leaves.
(d) Tells her stories through the door.
15. Lulu enters her burning house because:
(a) Lyman is trying to put out the fire.
(b) She wants to save her belongings.
(c) Lyman is napping inside it.
(d) She wants to die inside it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gordie tells Eli "I'm contaminated," what does he mean?
2. The trait that will keep Lipsha out of the army is:
3. Lyman Lamartine considers himself lucky because:
4. Marie's statement that Nector "has to have his candy" refers to:
5. A symbol of Dot's overwhelming love might be:
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)