|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lipsha believes his grandmother will not blame him entirely for Nector's death because:
(a) Zelda has shielded him.
(b) He kept Nector away from Lulu.
(c) Lipsha looks after her and Grandpa.
(d) She deceived him with the love medicine that caused him to choke.
2. Sister Mary hears Gordie's confession because:
(a) She can tell that he hasn't really killed anyone.
(b) He believes she is a priest.
(c) She can tell that he is weeping.
(d) She knows he has murdered his wife.
3. Three motifs that appear in the chapter are:
(a) The weather, darkness, and cars.
(b) Water, brotherhood, and girls.
(c) The weather, darkness, and water.
(d) Money, water, and blood.
4. Lipsha wins the hand of poker because:
(a) He has beginner's luck.
(b) He is the best player.
(c) Gerry has cheated for him.
(d) He has marked all the cards.
5. As a child Lulu discovered:
(a) The body of a dead man in the woods.
(b) Dead animals under the leaves in the woods.
(c) A hiding place to escape the government school.
(d) She was in love with Nector Kashpaw.
6. The boys decided to take the car out for a drive because:
(a) Henry wanted to make sure it ran for Lyman.
(b) Lyman felt guilty for banging it up.
(c) Henry had fixed it and the weather was finally warm enough.
(d) Henry wanted to drive it before they pushed it in the river.
7. Gerry accepts:
(a) That Lipsha won June's car fair and square.
(b) That Lipsha is his son.
(c) That King turned him in for his own good.
(d) That June loved Gordie more than him.
8. Albertine spends a great deal of time in the bathroom because:
(a) She is afraid to come out and face Henry.
(b) She is trying to find an escape through the window.
(c) She is cleaning herself up for Henry.
(d) She wants to be alone after the long ride into the city.
9. Henry shrieks when Albertine touches him because:
(a) He can't remember where he is.
(b) He thinks she is an animal.
(c) He is furious that she woke him up.
(d) He is emotionally unstable.
10. Lulu learns of Nector's death when:
(a) Lipsha visits her.
(b) Marie visits her.
(c) Nector chokes on the turkey heart.
(d) Lyman tells her about it.
11. Marie's statement that Nector "has to have his candy" refers to:
(a) His refusal to allow Marie to control him.
(b) His belief that candy allows him to have his second childhood.
(c) His affair with Lulu and his literal love of candy.
(d) His refusal to accept that he has diabetes.
12. Albertine thinks baby Shawn will be as heavy as any truck load because:
(a) She has two very large parents.
(b) She is being weighed on a heavy scale.
(c) She is so full of life and energy from both her parents.
(d) She is being weighed in one of her heavy knit suits.
13. Dot's most outstanding characteristic is:
(a) She is direct.
(b) She is an escaped convict.
(c) She hates pissants.
(d) She never gets angry.
14. Henry is never still because:
(a) He is upset about leaving his family on the reservation.
(b) He is nervous about Albertine watching him.
(c) He is scarred from his experiences as a prisoner of war.
(d) He is afraid of the authorities in Fargo.
15. Why does Gordie believe he has brought out June's ghost?
(a) He reminisced about her at Eli's house.
(b) He spoke her name aloud.
(c) He prayed for her return.
(d) He went through her possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Albertine and Dot's initial conflict arises because:
2. Lulu believes she cannot cry because:
3. In what way is Lipsha "the only one that's ignorant?"
4. The fact that Lyman cannot keep the positions of the North and South Vietnamese soldiers straight implies:
5. To drown out the sight and sound of June's ghost, what does Gordie do?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)