|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sister Mary hears Gordie's confession because:
(a) She can tell that he is weeping.
(b) He believes she is a priest.
(c) She can tell that he hasn't really killed anyone.
(d) She knows he has murdered his wife.
2. Lulu enters her burning house because:
(a) She wants to save her belongings.
(b) Lyman is napping inside it.
(c) Lyman is trying to put out the fire.
(d) She wants to die inside it.
3. Eli's behavior toward Gordie suggests:
(a) He cares for Gordie and is honest with him.
(b) He blames Gordie for June's death.
(c) He has no patience for Gordie's alcholism.
(d) He is exactly the same as Gordie.
4. The mood of the city is:
(a) Exciting and giddy.
(b) Fearful and loathsome.
(c) Slow, tired, and deserted.
(d) Bustling, dark, and furtive.
5. Lipsha believes his grandmother will not blame him entirely for Nector's death because:
(a) She deceived him with the love medicine that caused him to choke.
(b) Zelda has shielded him.
(c) He kept Nector away from Lulu.
(d) Lipsha looks after her and Grandpa.
6. Sister Mary could be described as:
(a) Kind, sentimental, and impressionable.
(b) Efficient, bossy, and overbearing.
(c) Rebellious, homesick, and frustrated.
(d) Kind, efficient, and capable.
7. What is Lipsha's love medicine?
(a) Lipsha will collect nail clippings and burn them as an offering.
(b) Lipsha will make a necklace of seed pearls that attract metal for his grandfather to wear.
(c) Lipsha will feed his grandparents the hearts of mated geese to keep them together.
(d) Lipsha will catch two frogs mating and give them to his grandparents.
8. At the hotel, Henry and Albertine sign the register as:
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Howdy Doody.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Lamartine.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. President Nixon.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Whatever
9. Lulu believes she cannot cry because:
(a) She used up all of her tears crying as a child.
(b) She has been afraid to cry since she was a child.
(c) She doesn't actually love anyone other than herself.
(d) She doesn't understand why anyone cries.
10. Marie's statement that Nector "has to have his candy" refers to:
(a) His refusal to accept that he has diabetes.
(b) His affair with Lulu and his literal love of candy.
(c) His belief that candy allows him to have his second childhood.
(d) His refusal to allow Marie to control him.
11. What final image connects Gordie to June's death?
(a) Gordie runs into the woods where he and June used to play as kids.
(b) He ends up crying and she died happily.
(c) Gordie's remorse is ironic because he was abusive to June.
(d) He ends up in the open fields crying, and she died in an open field.
12. The images Lipsha creates of the dandelions at the end of the chapter may also represent:
(b) Nector's death.
(d) Marie and Lulu.
13. The boys decided to take the car out for a drive because:
(a) Henry wanted to drive it before they pushed it in the river.
(b) Henry wanted to make sure it ran for Lyman.
(c) Henry had fixed it and the weather was finally warm enough.
(d) Lyman felt guilty for banging it up.
14. To drown out the sight and sound of June's ghost, what does Gordie do?
(a) Goes back to Uncle Eli's house.
(b) Drinks as much as he can as fast as he can.
(c) Sits in his car with the radio on.
(d) Turns on all the lights and appliances.
15. Gordie sees another example of the universe's contempt for him when:
(a) He is almost hit by an oncoming car.
(b) He begins shaking.
(c) He can not find the key to open the trunk of his car.
(d) He hits a deer who has a new fawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cold weather that drives Henry and Lyman back to the reservation after their visit to Alaska foreshadows:
2. Albertine thinks baby Shawn will be as heavy as any truck load because:
3. Albertine believes Gerry's main problem is:
4. While King and Lynette watch the newscast about Gerry's escape, Lipsha:
5. Gordie drives to town in order to:
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)