|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lipsha thinks his love medicine didn't work because:
(a) Nector was destined to be with Lulu.
(b) It was only a deception.
(c) Nector refused to eat the turkey heart.
(d) He couldn't get the blessing of the priest.
2. Lyman's final act of homage to his brother Henry in the chapter comes when:
(a) He destroys the picture of himself and Henry.
(b) He goes back to Alaska to find the girl.
(c) He pushes the red convertible into the river.
(d) He walks away from the reservation for good.
3. When Nector appears to Lulu after his death she discovers:
(a) There are worlds beyond what she can see.
(b) He has loved her more than Marie all along.
(c) There is no such thing as death.
(d) She can keep him with her by saying his name aloud.
4. The family does not seek help for Henry's depression because:
(a) Henry's mother believes the medicine man is a fake, and they cannot afford the veteran's hospital.
(b) The veteran's hospital only medicates patients, and the medicine man wants revenge on Henry's mother.
(c) The veteran's hospital is too far away, and the medicine man thinks Henry is a lost soul.
(d) Henry refuses help from anyone.
5. When Howard allows the police into the apartment, who does he believe they are there to arrest?
(a) Gerry Nanapush.
(b) His father, King.
(c) His mother, Lynette.
(d) Lipsha Morrisey.
6. The trait that will keep Lipsha out of the army is:
(a) His irregular heartbeat.
(b) His Kashpaw heritage.
(c) His father's prison record.
7. Sister Mary could be described as:
(a) Kind, sentimental, and impressionable.
(b) Rebellious, homesick, and frustrated.
(c) Efficient, bossy, and overbearing.
(d) Kind, efficient, and capable.
8. The red convertible works as a symbol of:
(a) blood and violence.
(b) youth and passion.
(c) anger and revenge.
(d) love and romance.
9. Sister Mary uses her clarinet to:
(a) Escape sleeplessness.
(b) Awaken the other nuns.
(c) Drown her sorrows.
(d) Remember her life before the convent.
10. Gordie drives to town in order to:
(a) Trade a deer for liquor.
(b) Get more bottles of liquor.
(c) Avoid getting in another fight with June.
(d) Tell people he has seen June.
11. Lulu learns of Nector's death when:
(a) Marie visits her.
(b) Lyman tells her about it.
(c) Lipsha visits her.
(d) Nector chokes on the turkey heart.
12. At the hotel, Henry and Albertine sign the register as:
(a) Mr. and Mrs. President Nixon.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Lamartine.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Whatever
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Howdy Doody.
13. Henry and Albertine need each other because:
(a) They don't have enough money to survive on their own.
(b) They are both running away and lost.
(c) They are both estranged from their families.
(d) They don't get along with anyone else.
14. The allusion to the story of Jesus Christ when Henry eats his own blood mixed with bread suggests:
(a) Henry believes he will save his people.
(b) Henry will be persecuted for his actions in the war.
(c) Henry does not have a faith any longer.
(d) Henry was a sacrifice in the Viet Nam war.
15. When Albertine says she "would never know how heavy a ton was unless it fell on [her]" she suggests:
(a) That love can not be measured.
(b) She does not really approve of Dot and Gerry's relationship.
(c) She does not really understand her job.
(d) She has not known the same kind of love as Dot and Gerry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry's reparation of the car helps him:
2. Gerry and Dot's baby is like its father even before it is born because it is:
3. The cold weather that drives Henry and Lyman back to the reservation after their visit to Alaska foreshadows:
4. Lipsha wins the hand of poker because:
5. Three motifs that appear in the chapter are:
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)