|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lulu gets restitution for her land because:
(a) She threatens to reveal the fathers of her children.
(b) She manipulates Nector into helping her.
(c) She demands money in exchange for her home.
(d) She gains the sympathy of the tribal council.
2. Sister Mary uses her clarinet to:
(a) Drown her sorrows.
(b) Awaken the other nuns.
(c) Remember her life before the convent.
(d) Escape sleeplessness.
3. Lipsha wins the hand of poker because:
(a) He is the best player.
(b) He has marked all the cards.
(c) Gerry has cheated for him.
(d) He has beginner's luck.
4. Three motifs that appear in the chapter are:
(a) Money, water, and blood.
(b) The weather, darkness, and cars.
(c) Water, brotherhood, and girls.
(d) The weather, darkness, and water.
5. Marie's statement that "somebody had to put the tears in your eyes" suggests:
(a) She believes Nector's death has hurt Lulu.
(b) She sees that Lulu had to learn love and loss somehow.
(c) She knows that Lulu's son could not help her put in her eye drops.
(d) She wants to hurt Lulu the way Lulu hurt her.
6. Albertine thinks baby Shawn will be as heavy as any truck load because:
(a) She is being weighed in one of her heavy knit suits.
(b) She is so full of life and energy from both her parents.
(c) She has two very large parents.
(d) She is being weighed on a heavy scale.
7. Henry's reparation of the car helps him:
(a) Show his family that he is not as damaged as they think he is.
(b) Earn his keep while living uinder his mother's roof.
(c) Make up for deserting Lyman earlier in the chapter.
(d) Begin to heal by making sense of something broken.
8. What final image connects Gordie to June's death?
(a) He ends up in the open fields crying, and she died in an open field.
(b) He ends up crying and she died happily.
(c) Gordie runs into the woods where he and June used to play as kids.
(d) Gordie's remorse is ironic because he was abusive to June.
9. Nector's death could be described as:
(a) Painless and uneventful.
(b) Peaceful and private.
(c) Sudden and unresisted.
(d) Terrifying and prolonged.
10. The red convertible works as a symbol of:
(a) love and romance.
(b) youth and passion.
(c) anger and revenge.
(d) blood and violence.
11. Gordie sees another example of the universe's contempt for him when:
(a) He is almost hit by an oncoming car.
(b) He can not find the key to open the trunk of his car.
(c) He begins shaking.
(d) He hits a deer who has a new fawn.
12. When Gordie tells Eli "I'm contaminated," what does he mean?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He bears the guilt for June's death.
(c) He is an alcoholic.
(d) He is dirty from the day's work.
13. The fact that Lyman cannot keep the positions of the North and South Vietnamese soldiers straight implies:
(a) Lyman has never been good with geography.
(b) He doesn't want to know about Henry's experiences in the war.
(c) He doesn't care where Henry went.
(d) He is not concerned with the details of their war.
14. Lipsha believes his grandmother will not blame him entirely for Nector's death because:
(a) Zelda has shielded him.
(b) She deceived him with the love medicine that caused him to choke.
(c) Lipsha looks after her and Grandpa.
(d) He kept Nector away from Lulu.
15. Lulu is interested in Marie because:
(a) She wants to join one of the committees Marie organized.
(b) She wants to know what Marie thought during Lulu's affair with Nector.
(c) She wants to snap her fingers and make Marie disappear.
(d) She believes Marie is gossiping about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gerry says he will never really have a home, he suggests:
2. The mood of the city is:
3. Lyman Lamartine considers himself lucky because:
4. Why does Gordie believe he has brought out June's ghost?
5. Gordie drives to town in order to:
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)