|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The description of Lulu's work in the kitchen-- filling pots by pointing at them, taking things from the oven that had never been put in--suggests:
(a) She has thrown dinner together without much care.
(b) She is efficient and prepares dinner in advance.
(c) She has some sort of magical powers or witchcraft.
(d) She is overworked and exhausted.
2. In what way does Albertine cause her mother's downfall?
(a) She forces her mother to send her to nursing school.
(b) She leaves her children behind in her mother's care.
(c) She causes her mother to leave the reservation.
(d) Her birth forces her mother to work instead of returning to the convent.
3. When Marie does not cry out at the pain caused by her wounds or by Nector's restraint, what does this suggest?
(a) Marie wants to impress Nector.
(b) Marie does not feel any pain.
(c) Marie does not want to show weakness.
(d) Marie regrets her actions at the convent.
4. Marie's quiet behavior after the scalding leads the other nuns to believe:
(a) She will be a saint someday.
(b) She is in extreme pain.
(c) She is punishing Leopolda.
(d) She is humble and docile.
5. Through his movie role and his portrait, Nector learns:
(a) That white people are fascinated by the history of Native Americans.
(b) That white people are fascinated by the death of Native Americans.
(c) That white people are fascinated by his good looks.
(d) That white people will always offer him jobs.
6. Why does Marie love to go to Mass as a child?
(a) It is her only opportunity to go into town unchaperoned.
(b) It teaches her about being a saint.
(c) She longs to be a nun.
(d) She has a mail-order Catholic soul.
7. Gerry is the son who is most like Lulu because:
(a) He cares for the other boys like his own sons.
(b) He has black eyes and is frequently in trouble.
(c) He laughs easily and is a born leader.
(d) He teaches the others to follow Lulu.
8. How are Marie and Rushes Bear "related" by the end of the story?
(a) They are both willing to overlook Fleur Pillager's interference in their marriages.
(b) Marie discovers that Rushes Bear was her mother all along.
(c) The discover that Marie and Nector are cousins.
(d) They are both lonely, having survived unsuccessful marriages, and care for each other.
9. Inside the bar, June decides to stay with Andy because:
(a) She hopes he will give her money to pay her expenses, as previous men have done.
(b) She really doesn't want to go home.
(c) She doesn't know how she will pay for her drinks.
(d) He wants her to party and she hopes he will be
10. Beverly rationalizes his tryst with Lulu after Henry's funeral as:
(a) The result of their long-buried passion for one another.
(b) The result of Lulu's effect on men.
(c) The result of two people getting over the grief of loss.
(d) The result of Lulu's desire to have one last child.
11. The conversation between Zelda and Aurelia suggests what?
(a) They don't believe June is dead.
(b) They are protecting Albertine from the truth.
(c) They understand her reasons for staying away from home.
(d) They do not have all the facts regarding June's death.
12. When Nector compares himself to a fish failing to breathe in an airless space, this comparison reflects:
(a) Nector's declaration that Marie forced him to be with her.
(b) The idea that Marie is suffocating him.
(c) The idea that Nector does not belong with Marie.
(d) Nector's idea that Marie has.
13. What are Marie's reasons for not wanting another child around?
(a) She is ashamed of what the neighbors will think.
(b) She has always hated her sister and her family.
(c) She has too many children and a drunk of a husband.
(d) She has plans to leave with her husband.
14. Henry's casket bears a Nazi flag because:
(a) Beverly brought it as a symbol of their avenged brother killed at boot camp.
(b) The men from the veteran's post had put it there.
(c) Beverly put it there as a symbol of his revenge against Henry.
(d) He was a deserter in the army.
15. Marie's vision of herself stops her from running away because:
(a) She believes she will be a saint and Leopolda will have to worship her.
(b) She believes Leopolda is sorry for what she did to Marie.
(c) She believes God is telling her to forgive Leopolda.
(d) She believes running away would be a sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The neighborhood gossips come around asking about what?
2. The conversation between Zelda and Aurelia suggests what about their personalities?
3. What event forces the final confrontation between Leopolda and Marie?
4. Lulu's fainting at Henry's funeral suggests:
5. During their power struggle, Marie realizes:
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)