|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lulu's fainting at Henry's funeral suggests:
(a) She was already pregnant with Henry Jr.
(b) She loved him and was overcome by grief.
(c) She was alarmed at the sight of Beverly.
(d) She was afraid the neighbors would talk about her affair with Beverly.
2. Lulu claims she is putting on weight because:
(a) She is no longer taking care of herself since she has Nector back.
(b) She does not want to admit she is pregnant, and have to reveal the baby's father.
(c) She wants Nector to believe she is pregnant so he'll leave Marie for her.
(d) She is overwhelmed by the stress of leading a double life with Nector.
3. Nector does not notice Marie because:
(a) He is preoccupied with the geese.
(b) He has just broken up with Lulu Nanapush.
(c) He is daydreaming about Lulu Nanapush.
(d) He is not interested in white girls.
4. Marie compares herself to:
(a) A pebble in a still, quiet place.
(b) A pebble at the bottom of a lake ground down by the waves.
(c) A pebble at the shore of a lake gently caressed by the waves.
(d) The black stones of June's abandoned rosary.
5. When Nector compares himself to a fish failing to breathe in an airless space, this comparison reflects:
(a) The idea that Marie is suffocating him.
(b) Nector's idea that Marie has.
(c) The idea that Nector does not belong with Marie.
(d) Nector's declaration that Marie forced him to be with her.
6. The fish images in the story imply:
(a) Marie's spirit animal is a fish.
(b) Marie's devotion is slippery and tenuous.
(c) Marie is only at home near the river at her reservation.
(d) Marie feels
7. King's exchange with his wife Lynette suggests what?
(a) Their marriage is based on lies.
(b) Their marriage is loving and peaceful.
(c) Their marriage is violent and acrimonious.
(d) Their marriage is based on respect.
8. "Lulu's Boys" is written in third person limited point of view, but the thoughts which other character are revealed at the start of the story?
(b) Henry Jr.
9. Leopolda is not impressed by Marie's lifestyle because:
(a) She doesn't believe Marie's stories.
(b) She still feels Marie is under the influence of the Dark One.
(c) She only values holyness.
(d) She knows Nector is a drunk.
10. Eli and Nector's partnership works because:
(a) Eli teaches Nector to hunt, and Nector teaches Eli to sell.
(b) Eli is shy and Nector is outgoing.
(c) Eli is a good hunter and Nector is a good salesman.
(d) Eli catches the geese, but does not want to sell them.
11. In what way does Albertine cause her mother's downfall?
(a) She forces her mother to send her to nursing school.
(b) She causes her mother to leave the reservation.
(c) Her birth forces her mother to work instead of returning to the convent.
(d) She leaves her children behind in her mother's care.
12. Metaphorically, Marie appeals to Nector because:
(a) She is part of the whale Ishmael seeks.
(b) She is bitter while all other women have been sweet.
(c) She is white while others have been Indians.
(d) He feels he can help heal the wound in her hand.
13. The line "once they smash there is no way to put them right," describing Albertine's attempt to fix the pies, also suggests:
(a) She is a stickler for control.
(b) There are relationships beyond repair in her family.
(c) There are fears among her relatives that she has been ruined like June.
(d) She has limitations as a baker.
14. Beverly "Hat" Lamartine has many nicknames because:
(a) He feels that people consider his name feminine.
(b) He builds up his muscles.
(c) He always wears a hat.
(d) He has lived many places.
15. The conversation between Zelda and Aurelia suggests what about their personalities?
(a) Zelda is forgiving while Aurelia is judgemental.
(b) Aurelia is conservative while Zelda is liberal.
(c) Aurelia is restrained while Zelda is generous.
(d) Zelda is judgemental while Aurelia is forgiving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sister Leopolda's actions characterize her as:
2. The precise timing necessary for Nector and Lulu's routine suggests:
3. Why does Marie love to go to Mass as a child?
4. When Nector believes he is looking at 14-year-old Marie at the end of the chapter, he is actually looking at:
5. An accurate description of Lulu's boys would be:
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)