|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marie pours syrup on her hand while thinking of Leopolda, the scene reminds the reader of what?
(a) Marie's self-hatred.
(b) The wound Leopolda inflicted on Marie.
(c) Marie's carelessness.
(d) The wounds of Jesus Christ.
2. Though she is heartbroken, Marie says she will not "park herself on the tracks for Nector," which means:
(a) She will not destroy their truck by leaving it on the train tracks.
(b) She will not put herself in the way of harm for his happiness.
(c) She will not leave her husband and children.
(d) She will not give up on herself and fall apart.
3. Beverly surrenders to Lulu's charms at the end of the story because:
(a) He is afraid of what the sons will do if he tries to leave.
(b) He thinks it will persuade her to release Henry Jr.
(c) He feels he owes it to his brother to stay.
(d) He has always been powerless against her.
4. Henry and Albertine need each other because:
(a) They are both estranged from their families.
(b) They are both running away and lost.
(c) They don't get along with anyone else.
(d) They don't have enough money to survive on their own.
5. Henry continues to tell himself to "advise restraint" throughout the evening in order to:
(a) Keep himself from breaking the bathroom door down.
(b) Keep himself from acting suddenly or violently.
(c) Keep himself from running away from Albertine.
(d) Keep himself from drinking too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry shrieks when Albertine touches him because:
2. In one sense, the title of the chapter, "A bridge," comes from:
3. What event forces the final confrontation between Leopolda and Marie?
4. When Marie says she "did for Nector what [she] learned from the nun," she means:
5. Marie struggles with Zelda's growing up because:
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)