|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Angelica respond to Valentine's revelation?
2. How best describes the present father and son relationship between Valentine and Sir Sampson?
3. What are Scandal and Jeremy preparing Valentine to become?
4. Where does Mrs. Frail take Ben after the heated argument with Miss Prue?
5. Why is Valentine continuing on with his charade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of the names of the characters as chosen by the playwright. Include scenes from the play that support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character motivation of Sir Sampson. Concentrate specifically on Sir Sampson's role as the patriarch. Is he a likeable, understandable character? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the traditional roles of men and women as portrayed in the play. Use dialogue as evidence. Pay specific attention to how the men deal with the legal issues while the women are fretting and tedious. How are these roles a sign of the times?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)