|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentine's father hope will happen once the debts are paid?
2. What is the name of the character who is ordered to stay and see Mrs. Frail and Mrs. Foresight in order to get information about Angelica?
3. Why is Benjamin quickly becoming a wanted man among the community?
4. What does Valentine blame his father for?
5. In addition to Benjamin, who is also arriving in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Valentine feels about Angelica.
2. Describe the elation that Sir Sampson feels for Benjamin.
3. What does Sampson discuss with Foresight regarding "something of equal value" as related to his son, Valentine?
4. What has happened between Mrs. Frail and Tattle?
5. Why does Sir Sampson arrive with the lawyer, Buckram, at Valentine's home?
6. What does the deed of conveyance do?
7. Describe why Mrs. Foresight is motivated to declare her intentions for Sir Sampson.
8. What does Miss Prue confide in Mrs. Frail just as Valentine's brother, Ben, arrives?
9. Explain the dynamics between Ben and his father upon the announcement of the wedding.
10. Discuss the final thoughts of Angelica as she addresses Valentine and Sir Sampson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aspect of opportunism as made visible through the characters actions. Is opportunism related to the times? Is it a good thing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the secret intimate encounters that occur throughout the play and how they show the true intent of one character to another.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character motivation of Sir Sampson. Concentrate specifically on Sir Sampson's role as the patriarch. Is he a likeable, understandable character? Explain.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)