Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentine ask for upon greeting his father, Sir Sampson.
2. What profession does Valentine hope to take on to earn a living?
3. How does Trapland respond to Scandal's attempt to dissuade him?
4. What has Valentine's irresponsible behavior done to his relationship with his father?
5. What man does Valentine's father suggest he sign over his inheritance to for four thousand pounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valentine urge Jeremy to do as he rants and raves?
2. How does Miss Prue react to the harsh words of Tattle?
3. How does Valentine react to Sir Sampson's swearing and outrage?
4. Describe Angelica's actions when Sir Sampson enters the room.
5. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
6. What does the deed of conveyance do?
7. Explain the dynamics between Ben and his father upon the announcement of the wedding.
8. What is the motivation for Valentine act like a madman?
9. Who is Benjamin?
10. Why does Sir Sampson arrive with the lawyer, Buckram, at Valentine's home?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the play. Remember that things, characters, and actions can all be symbols. Use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the father-son relationship between Benjamin and Sir Sampson and Valentine and Sir Sampson.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary element "Irony of Situation" (an action of happenstance that is the opposite of what is expected or intended) as it applies to the characters. Be sure to include all of the coupling that occurs in the play.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)