|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of expert does Foresight imagine himself to be?
2. In which city does Valentine live?
3. What word best describes the seduction of Miss Prue?
4. Which character serves as a calming, "voice of reason" for Valentine?
5. What does Valentine blame his father for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two older woman want to encourage in Miss Prue?
2. What does Valentine urge Jeremy to do as he rants and raves?
3. How does Mrs. Foresight respond to Scandal's offer of affection?
4. Describe Valentine's father's proposed solution to the unpaid debts
5. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
6. When Ben enters the room to the delight of Sir Sampson, why does he become upset?
7. Why is Mrs. Frail so adamant about marriage?
8. How does Angelica retort the comment made by Foresight regarding her inability to use his carriage?
9. Describe the character of Tattle.
10. Describe the new dynamic between Benjamin and Mrs. Frail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the practice of role-playing and whether or not it leads to disappointment. Use Benjamin and Miss Prue as an example.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivation of the character Angelica. Explain why she is a woman ahead of her time. Discuss how she relies on her self-confidence and wit to be the power center and the object of affection and attention for Valentine, as well as Sir Sampson.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aspect of opportunism as made visible through the characters actions. Is opportunism related to the times? Is it a good thing?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)