|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This characteristic best describes Valentine's children.
2. What does Valentine's father hope will happen once the debts are paid?
3. What does the deed that Sir Sampson arrives with insure?
4. What is the best character description for Miss Prue?
5. Why has the nurse come knocking on Valentine's door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Scandal.
2. When Ben enters the room to the delight of Sir Sampson, why does he become upset?
3. What is the motivation for Valentine act like a madman?
4. What does Scandal admit to as Sir Sampson and Mr. Foresight debate the merits of Valentine losing his senses?
5. Describe Valentine's father's proposed solution to the unpaid debts
6. Discuss how Angelica gets Valentine to sign the deed of conveyance.
7. How does Miss Prue react to the harsh words of Tattle?
8. Describe how Valentine feels about Angelica.
9. What happens when Ben and Miss Prue get acquainted?
10. What does Miss Prue confide in Mrs. Frail just as Valentine's brother, Ben, arrives?
Essay Topic 1
Explain and construct the literary element "Plot" as it applies to the play. Start with the exposition, then foreshadowing, conflict, rising action, crisis, climax, falling action, and resolution. Use examples from the play as you lay out the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aspect of opportunism as made visible through the characters actions. Is opportunism related to the times? Is it a good thing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the secret intimate encounters that occur throughout the play and how they show the true intent of one character to another.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)