|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Angelica's uncle?
2. What is the best word to describe the character of Mrs. Frail?
3. What is Valentine's sole goal?
4. What does Mrs. Frail associate most with marriage?
5. Why does Angelica ask to use her uncle's carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Mrs. Foresight is motivated to declare her intentions for Sir Sampson.
2. How does Valentine feel about his illegitimate child?
3. Why does Foresight chastise Angelica regarding the use of his carriage?
4. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
5. Explain how Sir Sampson responds to Angelica's affections.
6. What does Mrs. Foresight not understand about Mrs. Frail's need to be married?
7. What does Valentine urge Jeremy to do as he rants and raves?
8. How does Miss Prue react to the harsh words of Tattle?
9. Describe Valentine's father's proposed solution to the unpaid debts
10. Describe how Valentine has become indebted.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social roles of the English Reformation and how they are either apparent or not apparent in the characters in Love for Love.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the motivations of the character Valentine. Discuss why he makes the choices he does, despite their consequences. Explain whether or not Valentine is a likeable character. Use evidence from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary element "Irony of Situation" (an action of happenstance that is the opposite of what is expected or intended) as it applies to the characters. Be sure to include all of the coupling that occurs in the play.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)