|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Foresight support her sister's need to find a husband?
2. Who is the true character Tattle is intimately involved with?
3. What is the best word to describe the use of the names of the characters in the play?
4. What is the relationship between Miss Prue and Mrs. Foresight
5. Who is Miss Prue engaged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Prue react to the harsh words of Tattle?
2. How does Valentine react to Sir Sampson's swearing and outrage?
3. Describe the new dynamic between Benjamin and Mrs. Frail.
4. Discuss how Angelica gets Valentine to sign the deed of conveyance.
5. Why is Benjamin such a desired man?
6. Describe the elation that Sir Sampson feels for Benjamin.
7. Describe the character of Scandal.
8. How does Angelica retort the comment made by Foresight regarding her inability to use his carriage?
9. Explain the news Ben announces when he enters the room.
10. What happens when Ben and Miss Prue get acquainted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the motivations of the character Valentine. Discuss why he makes the choices he does, despite their consequences. Explain whether or not Valentine is a likeable character. Use evidence from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary element "Irony of Situation" (an action of happenstance that is the opposite of what is expected or intended) as it applies to the characters. Be sure to include all of the coupling that occurs in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character motivation of Sir Sampson. Concentrate specifically on Sir Sampson's role as the patriarch. Is he a likeable, understandable character? Explain.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)