|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentine ask for upon greeting his father, Sir Sampson.
2. What profession does Valentine hope to take on to earn a living?
3. How does Trapland respond to Scandal's attempt to dissuade him?
4. What has Valentine's irresponsible behavior done to his relationship with his father?
5. What man does Valentine's father suggest he sign over his inheritance to for four thousand pounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valentine urge Jeremy to do as he rants and raves?
2. How does Miss Prue react to the harsh words of Tattle?
3. How does Valentine react to Sir Sampson's swearing and outrage?
4. Describe Angelica's actions when Sir Sampson enters the room.
5. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
6. What does the deed of conveyance do?
7. Explain the dynamics between Ben and his father upon the announcement of the wedding.
8. What is the motivation for Valentine act like a madman?
9. Who is Benjamin?
10. Why does Sir Sampson arrive with the lawyer, Buckram, at Valentine's home?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Mrs. Foresight and Mrs. Frail. Explain the misunderstandings and miscommunication that takes place between the two women. Support your findings with textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the traditional roles of men and women as portrayed in the play. Use dialogue as evidence. Pay specific attention to how the men deal with the legal issues while the women are fretting and tedious. How are these roles a sign of the times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the phrase "one receives in exchange something of equal value to that which is given" and how it pertains to the play. Use action that takes place in the play to describe your answer.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)