|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tattle do incessantly?
2. What has Valentine done with all his money?
3. What document does Sir Sampson arrive with in hand?
4. This characteristic best describes Valentine's children.
5. Who does Mr. Tattle seduce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valentine react to Sir Sampson's swearing and outrage?
2. Explain the difference in demeanor and personality between Mr. Tattle and Miss Prue.
3. Describe the dynamic between Ben and Mrs. Frail toward the end of the 3rd act.
4. Describe the drain that Sir Sampson's feels as a result of his relationship with Valentine.
5. What do the two older woman want to encourage in Miss Prue?
6. What is the motivation for Valentine act like a madman?
7. Describe Angelica's actions when Sir Sampson enters the room.
8. Describe the character of Scandal.
9. Why is Mrs. Frail so adamant about marriage?
10. Discuss the nature of Valentine's love for Angelica.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and construct the literary element "Plot" as it applies to the play. Start with the exposition, then foreshadowing, conflict, rising action, crisis, climax, falling action, and resolution. Use examples from the play as you lay out the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the secret intimate encounters that occur throughout the play and how they show the true intent of one character to another.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how insincerity has no place in families, love relationships, or business relationships. In response, explain what does make families, relationships and business flourish. Use scenes from the play to strengthen your response.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)