|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might Scandal come into contact with when on an excursion with Mrs. Frail?
2. What is the best character description for Miss Prue?
3. Why does Mrs. Frail want Benjamin all to herself?
4. What does Valentine blame his father for?
5. How much money has Valentine's father offered him to sign over his inheritance to Benjamin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Benjamin such a desired man?
2. Describe the new dynamic between Benjamin and Mrs. Frail.
3. Describe what happens between Sir Sampson and Valentine when Valentine is announced and enters.
4. How does Valentine react to Sir Sampson's swearing and outrage?
5. How does Valentine feel about his illegitimate child?
6. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
7. Explain Angelica's reaction to Valentine as he reveals the trick.
8. Describe how Valentine feels about Angelica.
9. Why is Sir Sampson in such a hurry to get the deed of conveyance legalized?
10. What does Miss Prue confide in Mrs. Frail just as Valentine's brother, Ben, arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the phrase "one receives in exchange something of equal value to that which is given" and how it pertains to the play. Use action that takes place in the play to describe your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and construct the literary element "Plot" as it applies to the play. Start with the exposition, then foreshadowing, conflict, rising action, crisis, climax, falling action, and resolution. Use examples from the play as you lay out the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the concept of arranged marriage as it pertains to Benjamin and Miss Prue. How would the play have changed had Benjamin kept his arranged marriage to Miss Prue?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)