|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Valentine hope to take on to earn a living?
2. How does Mrs. Foresight support her sister's need to find a husband?
3. Why has the nurse come knocking on Valentine's door?
4. What is the best character description for Mrs. Foresight?
5. Which character serves as a calming, "voice of reason" for Valentine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened between Mrs. Frail and Tattle?
2. How does Angelica retort the comment made by Foresight regarding her inability to use his carriage?
3. Explain Angelica's reaction to Valentine as he reveals the trick.
4. Why is Benjamin such a desired man?
5. Explain the dynamics between Ben and his father upon the announcement of the wedding.
6. Discuss the final thoughts of Angelica as she addresses Valentine and Sir Sampson.
7. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
8. What does Scandal admit to as Sir Sampson and Mr. Foresight debate the merits of Valentine losing his senses?
9. Why does Sir Sampson arrive with the lawyer, Buckram, at Valentine's home?
10. Describe how Valentine feels about Angelica.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the literary element of conflict. Use details. Include whether the conflict is man versus man, man versus nature, man versus society, man versus self.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of the names of the characters as chosen by the playwright. Include scenes from the play that support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character motivation of Sir Sampson. Concentrate specifically on Sir Sampson's role as the patriarch. Is he a likeable, understandable character? Explain.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)