|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Valentine done with all his money?
2. What profession does Valentine hope to take on to earn a living?
3. Why does Mrs. Frail need to find a husband?
4. What does Valentine blame his father for?
5. Who would the two older women like to encourage Miss Prue to have a relationship with instead of Benjamin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sir Sampson in such a hurry to get the deed of conveyance legalized?
2. What does Miss Prue confide in Mrs. Frail just as Valentine's brother, Ben, arrives?
3. What happens after Miss Prue approaches Tattle and offers some brief pleasantries?
4. Discuss how Angelica gets Valentine to sign the deed of conveyance.
5. Why is Mrs. Frail so adamant about marriage?
6. Describe the character of Scandal.
7. Discuss the nature of Valentine's love for Angelica.
8. What does Sampson discuss with Foresight regarding "something of equal value" as related to his son, Valentine?
9. Explain how Sir Sampson responds to Angelica's affections.
10. Explain the disposition of Valentine as he enters the room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Love for Love and how the author expresses the theme. Remember to include main character motivations as well as thoughts and conversations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the phrase "one receives in exchange something of equal value to that which is given" and how it pertains to the play. Use action that takes place in the play to describe your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary element "Irony of Situation" (an action of happenstance that is the opposite of what is expected or intended) as it applies to the characters. Be sure to include all of the coupling that occurs in the play.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)