|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Valentine's brother, Benjamin, during their father's offer of payment?
2. What news does Mrs. Frail announce when she arrives at Valentine's door?
3. Which character serves as a calming, "voice of reason" for Valentine?
4. Why does Angelica ask to use her uncle's carriage?
5. What does Valentine ask for upon greeting his father, Sir Sampson.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens between Sir Sampson and Valentine when Valentine is announced and enters.
2. Discuss the nature of Valentine's love for Angelica.
3. Why does Sir Sampson arrive with the lawyer, Buckram, at Valentine's home?
4. Describe how Valentine has become indebted.
5. Describe the character of Valentine.
6. What does Mrs. Foresight not understand about Mrs. Frail's need to be married?
7. What does Sampson discuss with Foresight regarding "something of equal value" as related to his son, Valentine?
8. Describe the new dynamic between Benjamin and Mrs. Frail.
9. Explain Angelica's actions after Valentine signs the papers.
10. Describe how Valentine considers earning an income.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the secret intimate encounters that occur throughout the play and how they show the true intent of one character to another.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations of the protagonist, antagonist, and foil in Love for Love.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism in the play. Remember that things, characters, and actions can all be symbols. Use textual evidence.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)