|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the people that come knocking on Valentine's door and demand attention?
2. What activity does Valentine recently enjoy?
3. What document does Sir Sampson arrive with in hand?
4. Who would the two older women like to encourage Miss Prue to have a relationship with instead of Benjamin?
5. How is Trapland dissuaded into forgetting about Valentine's debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what happens when Angelica arrives at Valentine's home.
2. Explain the dynamics between Ben and his father upon the announcement of the wedding.
3. What does Valentine urge Jeremy to do as he rants and raves?
4. Explain how Scandal handles the nurse who has come to the door regarding one of Valentine's illegitimate children.
5. Why does Foresight chastise Angelica regarding the use of his carriage?
6. Explain the difference in demeanor and personality between Mr. Tattle and Miss Prue.
7. Explain the news Ben announces when he enters the room.
8. What are Jeremy and Scandal testing Valentine for at the beginning of Act 4?
9. Describe the elation that Sir Sampson feels for Benjamin.
10. Discuss how Angelica gets Valentine to sign the deed of conveyance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the practice of role-playing and whether or not it leads to disappointment. Use Benjamin and Miss Prue as an example.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the irony of the names of the characters as chosen by the playwright. Include scenes from the play that support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aspect of opportunism as made visible through the characters actions. Is opportunism related to the times? Is it a good thing?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)