|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best word to describe the use of the names of the characters in the play?
2. What does the deed that Sir Sampson arrives with insure?
(a) gives the property and family power to Valentine
(b) gives Valentine his inheritance and relinquishes liability
(c) gives Benjamin his inheritance and relinquishes liability
(d) gives the property and family power to Benjamin
3. Who is Valentine's best friend?
(c) Mrs. Frail
4. Why does Foresight chastise Angelica over her carriage ride?
(a) he does not approve of where Angelica is going
(b) he wants Angelica to learn the layout of the property
(c) he needs his niece with him whie he speaks with Sir Sampson
(d) he does not approve of women riding in carriages alone
5. What news does Mrs. Frail announce when she arrives at Valentine's door?
(a) Benjamin has returned from sea
(b) Valentine's father is suffering from ill health
(c) Scandal is in dire financial straights
(d) Trapland has filed a formal accusation against Valentine
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Frail want to marry?
2. Which character serves as a calming, "voice of reason" for Valentine?
3. Who does Miss Prue find herself attracted to?
4. Why does Angelica ask to use her uncle's carriage?
5. What kind of relationship do Mrs. Foresight and Mrs. Frail have together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ben and Miss Prue get acquainted?
2. Discuss how Angelica gets Valentine to sign the deed of conveyance.
3. What does Mrs. Foresight not understand about Mrs. Frail's need to be married?
4. What does Sampson discuss with Foresight regarding "something of equal value" as related to his son, Valentine?
5. Describe the new dynamic between Benjamin and Mrs. Frail.
6. How does Valentine react to Sir Sampson's swearing and outrage?
7. Explain what happens when Miss Prue enters looking for Tattle.
8. What do Miss Prue's rejections do to Ben?
9. Explain the disposition of Valentine as he enters the room.
10. Why does Sir Sampson arrive with the lawyer, Buckram, at Valentine's home?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)