|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Frail announce when she arrives at Valentine's door?
(a) Benjamin has returned from sea
(b) Trapland has filed a formal accusation against Valentine
(c) Valentine's father is suffering from ill health
(d) Scandal is in dire financial straights
2. What s the name of the creditor who is most adamant about being paid?
(b) Mrs. Frail
(d) the nurse
3. How much money has Valentine's father offered him to sign over his inheritance to Benjamin?
(a) five thousand pounds
(b) three thousand pounds
(c) four thousand pounds
(d) ten thousand pounds
4. Why does Mrs. Frail need to find a husband?
(a) for children
(b) to cure her depression
(c) for love
(d) for support
5. How many times has Valentine's father made a similar offer of payment?
(a) multiple times before
(c) twice before
(d) once before
6. Who does Valentine ask to get more information about Angelica?
(a) Mrs. Frail and Miss Prue
(b) Mrs. Frail and Mrs. Foresight
(c) Mrs. Foresight and Jeremy
(d) Jeremy and Mrs. Frail
7. What is the best word to describe the use of the names of the characters in the play?
8. What does Valentine ask for upon greeting his father, Sir Sampson.
(a) a bigger carriage
(b) new clothes
(c) more money
(d) a new servant
9. In addition to Benjamin, who is also arriving in the city?
(a) a new lover for Valentine
(b) Mrs. Frail's mother
(c) Miss Prue
10. What is the name of the character who is ordered to stay and see Mrs. Frail and Mrs. Foresight in order to get information about Angelica?
11. What word best describes the seduction of Miss Prue?
12. What is the name of Angelica's uncle?
13. What activity does Valentine recently enjoy?
14. What does Foresight swear he will do upon the quick retort from Angelica?
(a) make sure her carriage does not get fixed
(b) make sure her reputation is ruined
(c) make sure her family knows of her quick tongue
(d) make sure Valentine remains poor
15. What profession does Valentine hope to take on to earn a living?
(a) becoming a lawyer
(b) becoming a writer
(c) becoming a doctor
(d) becoming a teacher
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Valentine in danger of going if he does not devise a plan?
2. Where is Valentine's brother, Benjamin, during their father's offer of payment?
3. What is the name of the woman whom Valentine loves?
4. Why does Foresight believe that riding alone in a carriage is harmful for Angelica?
5. What is Valentine's sole goal?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)