|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Miss Prue find herself attracted to?
(b) Mr. Foresight
(c) Sir Sampson
(d) Mr. Tattle
2. How does Trapland respond to Scandal's attempt to dissuade him?
(a) Trapland asks to speak with Valentine's father
(b) Trapland stays yet he is uninvited
(c) Trapland leaves
(d) Trapland drafts a legal document
3. Where is Valentine in danger of going if he does not devise a plan?
(a) back to work
(b) debtor's prison
(c) back to school
(d) to court
4. Where does Miss Prue come from?
(a) the country
5. How does Scandal thwart persistent attempts by Trapland to collect his money?
(a) Scandal tells Trapland he is being disrespectful of their time
(b) Scandal tells Trapland the money has already been paid
(c) Scandal tells Trapland he is insulting Valentine's hospitality
(d) Scandal tells Trapland he is being disrepectful of Valentine's new poetic career
6. Where does Scandal agree to accompany Mrs. Frail?
(a) on a shopping excursion
(b) to the docks
(c) on a walking tour
(d) to the gardens
7. Which character do the older women want to be free of commitment?
(a) Mr. Tattle
(d) Mr. Foresight
8. In addition to Benjamin, who is also arriving in the city?
(b) Miss Prue
(c) Mrs. Frail's mother
(d) a new lover for Valentine
9. What kind of writer does Valentine hope to become?
(a) a journalist
(b) a novelist
(c) an essayist
(d) a poet
10. Who would the two older women like to encourage Miss Prue to have a relationship with instead of Benjamin?
(a) Sir Sampson
(c) Mr. Tattle
11. Who is Valentine's best friend?
(c) Mrs. Frail
12. What does Valentine blame his father for?
(a) getting him into debt
(b) causing his emotional grief
(c) bringing him into the world
(d) weakening him with a woman like Angelica
13. Who is Benjamin Sampson promised to?
(a) Valenine's former lover in the city
(c) Miss Prue
(d) The nurse
14. What is the best character description for Mrs. Foresight?
(d) out of touch
15. Who does Valentine ask to get more information about Angelica?
(a) Mrs. Frail and Mrs. Foresight
(b) Jeremy and Mrs. Frail
(c) Mrs. Foresight and Jeremy
(d) Mrs. Frail and Miss Prue
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Foresight believe that riding alone in a carriage is harmful for Angelica?
2. What is Valentine's sole goal?
3. What does Foresight swear he will do upon the quick retort from Angelica?
4. Why is Benjamin quickly becoming a wanted man among the community?
5. Why does Mrs. Foresight chastise Mrs. Frail?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)