|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Valentine's brother, Benjamin, during their father's offer of payment?
(a) in the garden
(b) at sea
(c) in the city
(d) at a party
2. What profession does Valentine hope to take on to earn a living?
(a) becoming a lawyer
(b) becoming a teacher
(c) becoming a doctor
(d) becoming a writer
3. Why has the nurse come knocking on Valentine's door?
(a) to collect money for laundry services
(b) to collect money for sleeping medications
(c) to collect money for curing Valentine of a venereal disease
(d) to collect money for the care of Valentine's illigitimate child
4. What is the best character description for Miss Prue?
5. Who does Valentine ask to get more information about Angelica?
(a) Mrs. Frail and Mrs. Foresight
(b) Mrs. Foresight and Jeremy
(c) Mrs. Frail and Miss Prue
(d) Jeremy and Mrs. Frail
6. In which city does Valentine live?
7. How much money has Valentine's father offered him to sign over his inheritance to Benjamin?
(a) ten thousand pounds
(b) three thousand pounds
(c) five thousand pounds
(d) four thousand pounds
8. Why is Benjamin quickly becoming a wanted man among the community?
(a) because of his strength of character
(b) because he has returned from sea
(c) because of his inheritance
(d) because he is a promising good looks
9. What has Valentine's irresponsible behavior done to his relationship with his father?
(a) brought Valentine and his father closer together
(b) caused an irreconciliable fight between Valentine and his father
(c) allientated Valentine from his father's affection
(d) caused Valentine's father to abandon his son
10. Which character do the older women want to be free of commitment?
(a) Mr. Tattle
(d) Mr. Foresight
11. Who is the true character Tattle is intimately involved with?
(b) Mrs. Frail
(c) Mrs. Foresight
(d) the nurse
12. Why does Mrs. Foresight chastise Mrs. Frail?
(a) for her overweight frame
(b) for her poor choice in wardrobe
(c) for her indiscriminate behavior in public
(d) for the overbearing tone in her voice
13. What man does Valentine's father suggest he sign over his inheritance to for four thousand pounds?
(d) Mr. Foresight
14. Who is Miss Prue engaged to?
15. What is the best word to describe the character of Mrs. Frail?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Miss Prue and Mrs. Foresight
2. Which character serves as a calming, "voice of reason" for Valentine?
3. What kind of expert does Foresight imagine himself to be?
4. What kind of writer does Valentine hope to become?
5. What does Valentine ask for upon greeting his father, Sir Sampson.
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)