|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sir Sampson in a hurry to get the deed legalized?
(a) because Valentine might reconsider
(b) because Benjamin demanded the papers be put through
(c) because Benjamin arrives home tonight to settle the inheritance
(d) because Valentine is hatching a new plan
2. Who is Benjamin Sampson promised to?
(a) The nurse
(b) Miss Prue
(c) Valenine's former lover in the city
3. Where is Valentine in danger of going if he does not devise a plan?
(a) debtor's prison
(b) back to school
(c) to court
(d) back to work
4. What does Foresight swear he will do upon the quick retort from Angelica?
(a) make sure her carriage does not get fixed
(b) make sure Valentine remains poor
(c) make sure her family knows of her quick tongue
(d) make sure her reputation is ruined
5. What does the deed that Sir Sampson arrives with insure?
(a) gives Benjamin his inheritance and relinquishes liability
(b) gives the property and family power to Valentine
(c) gives Valentine his inheritance and relinquishes liability
(d) gives the property and family power to Benjamin
6. What kind of writer does Valentine hope to become?
(a) a poet
(b) a journalist
(c) an essayist
(d) a novelist
7. Who is Miss Prue engaged to?
8. How does Trapland respond to Scandal's attempt to dissuade him?
(a) Trapland drafts a legal document
(b) Trapland stays yet he is uninvited
(c) Trapland asks to speak with Valentine's father
(d) Trapland leaves
9. How does Scandal thwart persistent attempts by Trapland to collect his money?
(a) Scandal tells Trapland he is being disrepectful of Valentine's new poetic career
(b) Scandal tells Trapland he is being disrespectful of their time
(c) Scandal tells Trapland he is insulting Valentine's hospitality
(d) Scandal tells Trapland the money has already been paid
10. Why does Foresight chastise Angelica over her carriage ride?
(a) he needs his niece with him whie he speaks with Sir Sampson
(b) he does not approve of where Angelica is going
(c) he wants Angelica to learn the layout of the property
(d) he does not approve of women riding in carriages alone
11. What is Valentine's sole goal?
(a) to pay his debts
(b) to marry Angelica
(c) to work for his father
(d) to write
12. In which city does Valentine live?
13. What habit does Valentine have that Jeremy believes has no worthwhile purpose since it does not bring in an income?
14. What is the best character description for Mrs. Foresight?
(b) out of touch
15. Who is Valentine's best friend?
(b) Mrs. Frail
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Valentine's servant?
2. Why does Mrs. Frail want Benjamin all to herself?
3. What is the best word to describe the character of Mrs. Frail?
4. What will Valentine do to win the love of Angelica?
5. What word best describes the seduction of Miss Prue?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)