Short Essay Questions Key
1. Describe the nature of Valentine's financial situation.
Valentine's financial situation is woeful at best. He has squandered his money and now is in self-imposed seclusion to avoid debt collectors.
2. Describe how Valentine has become indebted.
Valentine squandered all of his money on women and entertainment. He is a rake that has been seen all over London.
3. Describe how Valentine considers earning an income.
Valentine has taken to reading books and, as such, considers the possibility of becoming a writer. He specifically wants to write and sell poetry for income.
4. Explain how Scandal handles the nurse who has come to the door regarding one of Valentine's illegitimate children.
Scandal is pleasant to the woman and gives her a little bit of money for the child's care.
5. How does Valentine feel about his illegitimate child?
Valentine finds himself wishing that the child had been smothered at birth.
This section contains 2,104 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)