|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the house appear at the end of Chapter 6?
2. What sort of doll is the devil doll, as explained on page 323?
3. What celestial body did a young Hippolyta attempt to name, as revealed in Chapter 4?
4. According to Montrose in Chapter 6, what was the expression in his dying father’s eyes?
5. Who rescues Horace from imminent death in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hippolyta travels through the portal in Chapter 4?
2. According to Caleb at the end of Chapter 7, why did Captain Lancaster curse Horace?
3. What is the official cause of Henry Narrow’s death? What suspicious information did David Landsdowne discover, as he tells Montrose in Chapter 6?
4. What comic book is inspired by Hippolyta? Who is the author of the comic book, as revealed in Chapter 4?
5. Who is Ruby? Of what crime was she accused at the start of Chapter 5?
6. How does Captain Lancaster curse Horace in Chapter 7? What is the result?
7. According to Henry on page 289, what is he? What does he want?
8. Who is David Landsdowne and what information does he give Montrose in Chapter 6?
9. What information does Ruby reveal at the start of Chapter 8? What information does she not reveal?
10. What information does Henry reveal about his mother in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Atticus laugh at the end of the final chapter? How is his laughter a reaction to the immediate situation, and how is it reflective of the novel’s conflicts and themes? Answer, supporting your claims with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is the novel a celebration of the science fiction genre? Evaluate the role of science fiction in the novel, using textual evidence for support.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in Lovecraft Country all highlight the idea the past is never truly past. Choose three characters and explain how each illustrates this idea, using textual evidence to support your claims.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)