|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver take over?
2. Why does Oliver go to Boston?
3. Who does Oliver tell about Jenny's illness?
4. Why does he buy these tickets?
5. What does Oliver do for the first time in his adult life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Oliver do in his second year of law school?
2. When Oliver checks on Jenny one night after dinner what does she tell him and what does he do?
3. What do Oliver and Jenny do when she doesn't get pregnant?
4. What does Jenny tell Oliver and what does she request of him?
5. Who does Oliver tell about Jenny's illness and what does he do?
6. What does Oliver decide shortly after they move to New York and how does Jenny feel about it?
7. Why does Oliver go to see his father?
8. Why does the doctor call Oliver into the office and what does he tell Oliver?
9. What kind of place do Jenny and Oliver rent when they return to Cambridge?
10. After graduation, where is Oliver ranked in his law class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money. Life without Oliver's family money is beginning to make it felt in this chapter, foreshadowing the struggle Oliver and Jenny will face over the next three years while Oliver attends law school. Also touched on in this chapter for the first time is the theme of money.
1. How do you think you would react if you went from being very wealthy to being poor? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think rich people are happier than poor people?
3. Do you think Oliver was being too stubborn about staying away from his father and not getting help from him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
More important than the physical part of their relationship, this chapter shows the depth of emotion on Oliver's part by admitting he feels differently about Jenny than he did for any other girl.
1. Do you think the emotional part of a relationship is more important than the physical or are they equally important? Why?
2. Do you think having a strong emotional connection to someone is important to the physical relationship being good? Why or why not?
3. Describe a relationship you or someone you know has had that had deep emotional connection but no physical relationship.
Essay Topic 3
The reader watches the two Olivers interact and has to wonder if this sense of competition is mostly a product of Oliver's imagination rather than a true competition that his father has initiated.
1. Do you think Oliver is imagining his father's motivations and feelings? Why or why not?
2. All people attribute feelings and thoughts to other people without knowing whether they are true. Explain a situation in which you, or someone you know, assumed a person thought one way and it was not true.
3. How would you feel if someone thought you believed something, or felt something that you didn't? How would you try to change their opinion?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)