|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Oliver is holding Jenny?
2. How does Oliver satisfy both of their curiosity?
3. What is the likely reason Oliver's father lends his some money?
4. Why is Oliver excited?
5. What does Oliver do about work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Oliver and Jenny do when she doesn't get pregnant?
2. Where did Oliver and Jenny live in New York and how did Jenny fix it up?
3. What does Jenny insist on doing at home and what is the one compromise she allows?
4. What does Oliver say and do when his father tells him he's sorry?
5. Who does Oliver tell about Jenny's illness and what does he do?
6. What kind of place do Jenny and Oliver rent when they return to Cambridge?
7. What did the letter Oliver received in July say about his last year's studies?
8. Why does Oliver go to see his father?
9. What does Oliver receive in the mail that he and Jenny fight about and how does she feel? How does he feel?
10. What does Oliver do after Jenny leaves the apartment when he threw the phone across the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
However, the doctor tells him that Jenny's problem is not related to her fertility but the fact that she has an incurable type of leukemia. The doctor tells Oliver to go home and pretend everything is normal for as long as possible.
1. Do you think the doctor should hide Jenny's illness from her? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that from what you know of Jenny at this point in the book she would want to know about her illness? Why or why not?
3. If you were terminally ill would you want to know as soon as the doctors knew? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The dinner between Oliver and his father touches on one of the themes of the novel--relationships between parents and children. Parents and children have unique relationships and this one is no different.
1. What constitutes a good relationship between a parent and child? What about a bad one?
2. Do you think the relationship between a parent and child is different at different ages? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
3. Does Oliver have a good or bad relationship with his father? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
After he and Jenny get in a fight and she leaves he goes to look for her. Oliver goes home and finds Jenny sitting on the top step in front of their apartment. Oliver attempts to apologize, but Jenny tells him he does not have to.
1. Do you think Jenny was right by telling him he didn't have to apologize? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think it is good for someone to forgive a wrong done them rather than to hold onto it?
3. What do you think would happen in the world if people forgave others immediately?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)