|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Jenny promised Phil?
2. Who is called back to the clinic?
3. How does Jenny feel about what Oliver wants?
4. What does Jenny want Oliver to do?
5. What type of apartment do Jenny and Oliver rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenny insist on doing at home and what is the one compromise she allows?
2. What does Jenny tell Oliver and what does she request of him?
3. What does Oliver do after Jenny leaves the apartment when he threw the phone across the room?
4. What did Oliver do in his second year of law school?
5. Who does Oliver tell about Jenny's illness and what does he do?
6. What do Oliver and Jenny do when she doesn't get pregnant?
7. Why does the doctor call Oliver into the office and what does he tell Oliver?
8. When Oliver checks on Jenny one night after dinner what does she tell him and what does he do?
9. What does Oliver tell his father about his request?
10. What does Jenny tell Oliver about her visit to the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader watches the two Olivers interact and has to wonder if this sense of competition is mostly a product of Oliver's imagination rather than a true competition that his father has initiated.
1. Do you think Oliver is imagining his father's motivations and feelings? Why or why not?
2. All people attribute feelings and thoughts to other people without knowing whether they are true. Explain a situation in which you, or someone you know, assumed a person thought one way and it was not true.
3. How would you feel if someone thought you believed something, or felt something that you didn't? How would you try to change their opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Jenny's relationship with her father is clearly much closer than Oliver's with his father, and she clearly values her father more than Oliver does his.
1. Do you think the way Jenny was raised compared to Oliver's childhood will cause problems in their relationship? Why or why not?
2. Is your relationship with your father or mother similar to Jenny's or Oliver's? Why?
3. Do you think that Oliver's father expects too much from his son? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Oliver is not comfortable with his life, but his deepest anxiety appears to come from his father.
1. Why do you think Oliver is uncomfortable with his life? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Oliver's father is the cause of Oliver's anxiety around him? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Oliver's perceptions of his parents are accurate? Why or why not?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)