|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is part of the job hunting process?
2. How could the firm be described where Oliver is to work?
3. What does Oliver join?
4. What are Oliver's instructions to the doctor?
5. What is the likely reason Oliver's father lends his some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenny insist on doing at home and what is the one compromise she allows?
2. How difficult is it for Oliver to keep the truth from Jenny and his boss?
3. What does Oliver do after Jenny dies?
4. Where is Jenny working and how does she feel about that?
5. When Oliver checks on Jenny one night after dinner what does she tell him and what does he do?
6. What kind of place do Jenny and Oliver rent when they return to Cambridge?
7. What does Oliver receive in the mail that he and Jenny fight about and how does she feel? How does he feel?
8. What does Oliver do after Jenny leaves the apartment when he threw the phone across the room?
9. What do Oliver and Jenny do when she doesn't get pregnant?
10. What kind of law firm does Oliver take a job with and where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oliver seems to have grown some by this point as marked by his intuitive awareness that Phil would have been hurt if Oliver did not allow him to pay for the reception after their wedding.
1. What do you think might be some of the reasons Oliver is maturing? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Oliver's maturity shown in the book is unrealistic in the short amount of time period the book covers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
From rich to poor. Oliver's need for financial aid is a new event in his life and is not received well by the dean of the school who is aware of Oliver's family background.
1. Do you think Oliver and his father are being childish? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are some of the ways in which Oliver's life is different due to his financial situation?
3. If you were in Oliver's position would you think marrying Jenny was worth being poor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Oliver places top in his class at law school, which is important foreshadowing because the top three members of his class will receive the best job offers after graduation.
1. Why do you think education is important? Use examples from this book and your life to support your answer.
2. How do you think the education system in America helps students?
3. How do you think the education system in America harms students?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)