|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver refuse to tell Ray?
2. What does Oliver say about the conversation he and his father have at dinner?
3. When Oliver walks Jennifer back to her dorm, what does he tell her?
4. What does Jenny say is part of Oliver's life?
5. Why does Oliver's roommate have to sleep somewhere else now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oliver admit about his relationship with Jenny?
2. Why is Oliver nervous about meeting Jenny's father?
3. Why does Oliver make certain Jenny has a program at the hockey game?
4. What does Oliver do to keep Jenny with him?
5. Who comes to Jenny's graduation from Radcliffe and what does Jenny not tell them and why?
6. How does Oliver drive to take Jenny to meet his parents and why does he drive that way?
7. Now that Oliver and Jenny have begun the sexual part of their relationship what is Oliver's roommate forced to do?
8. What does Jenny tell Oliver about her father?
9. What does the Dean say to Oliver about his request?
10. What do Oliver and Jenny tell her father about how they plan to wed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From rich to poor. Oliver's need for financial aid is a new event in his life and is not received well by the dean of the school who is aware of Oliver's family background.
1. Do you think Oliver and his father are being childish? Why or why not?
2. What do you think are some of the ways in which Oliver's life is different due to his financial situation?
3. If you were in Oliver's position would you think marrying Jenny was worth being poor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The dinner between Oliver and his father touches on one of the themes of the novel--relationships between parents and children. Parents and children have unique relationships and this one is no different.
1. What constitutes a good relationship between a parent and child? What about a bad one?
2. Do you think the relationship between a parent and child is different at different ages? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
3. Does Oliver have a good or bad relationship with his father? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is clearly a lot of love between father and daughter, a fact Oliver watches with some awkwardness.
1. Why do you think Oliver would feel awkward about Jenny's and Phil's relationship?
2. Do you think Phil is the "ideal" father or do you think he also has some negative points? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
3. Do you think Oliver feels awkward about Jenny and Phil because he regrets the relationship he has with his father? Why or why not?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)