|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recognizes Oliver when he goes to pick Jenny up at her dorm?
2. What does Phil offer to do after Oliver talks to him?
3. What does the dinner conversation foreshadow in Oliver's life?
4. What is Oliver's response to what Jenny says?
5. What is Jennifer's major?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oliver admit about his relationship with Jenny?
2. What is Jenny doing when Oliver comes to pick her up and what does he do?
3. How do Jenny and Oliver feel about Oliver III's new appointment?
4. How does Jenny feel about meeting Oliver's parents and why?
5. What does Oliver find out after a concert Jenny has given?
6. How does Oliver play hockey and what are the consequences of Jenny's being at the game? Where does Oliver talk to Jenny while at the game?
7. What does Oliver tell Jenny about his father?
8. How did Oliver get hurt in his game with Cornell?
9. What habit of Oliver's father irritates him and why?
10. Who comes to Jenny's graduation from Radcliffe and what does Jenny not tell them and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
However, the doctor tells him that Jenny's problem is not related to her fertility but the fact that she has an incurable type of leukemia. The doctor tells Oliver to go home and pretend everything is normal for as long as possible.
1. Do you think the doctor should hide Jenny's illness from her? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that from what you know of Jenny at this point in the book she would want to know about her illness? Why or why not?
3. If you were terminally ill would you want to know as soon as the doctors knew? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the hospital, Oliver authorizes the doctor to do whatever needs to be done to make Jenny comfortable.
1. What do you think Oliver might be able to do to handle this stage of Jenny's illness?
2. Do you think this part of Jenny's illness is more difficult for Oliver than Jenny? Why or why not?
3. Describe a time in your life when you or someone you know was faced with a friend or relative dying.
Essay Topic 3
More important than the physical part of their relationship, this chapter shows the depth of emotion on Oliver's part by admitting he feels differently about Jenny than he did for any other girl.
1. Do you think the emotional part of a relationship is more important than the physical or are they equally important? Why?
2. Do you think having a strong emotional connection to someone is important to the physical relationship being good? Why or why not?
3. Describe a relationship you or someone you know has had that had deep emotional connection but no physical relationship.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)