|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Jenny leaving for Paris?
2. What does Oliver wonder about Jenny as she looks at his father?
3. What does Oliver admit to himself about Jenny?
4. What is the motivating factor for Oliver proposing marriage to Jenny?
5. How long have the two been dating at the opening of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Oliver because Jenny has distracted him during the hockey game?
2. When and under what circumstances does Oliver go to the Radcliffe library?
3. Now that Oliver and Jenny have begun the sexual part of their relationship what is Oliver's roommate forced to do?
4. How does Oliver drive to take Jenny to meet his parents and why does he drive that way?
5. What surprises Oliver about sex with Jenny?
6. What does Oliver tell Jenny about his father?
7. Why does Oliver watch Jenny when introducing his parents to her?
8. What does Oliver refuse to tell Ray and what does he continue to deny?
9. Why does Oliver go to talk to the Associate Dean of Harvard Law School?
10. What does Jenny tell Oliver about her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After he and Jenny get in a fight and she leaves he goes to look for her. Oliver goes home and finds Jenny sitting on the top step in front of their apartment. Oliver attempts to apologize, but Jenny tells him he does not have to.
1. Do you think Jenny was right by telling him he didn't have to apologize? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think it is good for someone to forgive a wrong done them rather than to hold onto it?
3. What do you think would happen in the world if people forgave others immediately?
Essay Topic 2
Oliver seems to have grown some by this point as marked by his intuitive awareness that Phil would have been hurt if Oliver did not allow him to pay for the reception after their wedding.
1. What do you think might be some of the reasons Oliver is maturing? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Oliver's maturity shown in the book is unrealistic in the short amount of time period the book covers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Money. Life without Oliver's family money is beginning to make it felt in this chapter, foreshadowing the struggle Oliver and Jenny will face over the next three years while Oliver attends law school. Also touched on in this chapter for the first time is the theme of money.
1. How do you think you would react if you went from being very wealthy to being poor? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
2. Do you think rich people are happier than poor people?
3. Do you think Oliver was being too stubborn about staying away from his father and not getting help from him? Why or why not?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)