|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oliver seem to feel about his illustrious ancestors?
2. Of what does the girl accuse Oliver?
3. What does Oliver's father want him to do after graduating college?
4. Where is the music teacher who has accepted Jenny as a student?
5. Where are Oliver and Jenny going in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jenny and Oliver feel about Oliver III's new appointment?
2. What surprises Oliver about sex with Jenny?
3. How does Jenny feel about meeting Oliver's parents and why?
4. How does Oliver feel when he sees Jenny after the game and what does he do?
5. What does Oliver admit about his relationship with Jenny?
6. What does Oliver refuse to tell Ray and what does he continue to deny?
7. What does Oliver III think about his son marrying Jenny?
8. What does Jenny tell Oliver about her father?
9. When and under what circumstances does Oliver go to the Radcliffe library?
10. Who comes to Jenny's graduation from Radcliffe and what does Jenny not tell them and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oliver is not comfortable with his life, but his deepest anxiety appears to come from his father.
1. Why do you think Oliver is uncomfortable with his life? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Oliver's father is the cause of Oliver's anxiety around him? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Oliver's perceptions of his parents are accurate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The reader watches the two Olivers interact and has to wonder if this sense of competition is mostly a product of Oliver's imagination rather than a true competition that his father has initiated.
1. Do you think Oliver is imagining his father's motivations and feelings? Why or why not?
2. All people attribute feelings and thoughts to other people without knowing whether they are true. Explain a situation in which you, or someone you know, assumed a person thought one way and it was not true.
3. How would you feel if someone thought you believed something, or felt something that you didn't? How would you try to change their opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Jenny's relationship with her father is clearly much closer than Oliver's with his father, and she clearly values her father more than Oliver does his.
1. Do you think the way Jenny was raised compared to Oliver's childhood will cause problems in their relationship? Why or why not?
2. Is your relationship with your father or mother similar to Jenny's or Oliver's? Why?
3. Do you think that Oliver's father expects too much from his son? Why or why not?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)