|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Oliver leaving the hospital?
(a) He needs some fresh air.
(b) He hates doctors and wants away from them because they could not save Jenny.
(c) He is going to a Catholic church down the street.
(d) He is headed home.
2. What does Oliver do during that next year?
(a) Works hard and edits and writes law articles.
(b) Reconciles finally with his father.
(c) Works at a pizza place and goes to school.
(d) Joins the Harvard crew team.
3. What does Oliver take over?
(a) Cleaning up after dinner.
(b) The laundry.
(c) Nothing, he's too busy with work.
(d) Walking the dog.
4. What is Jenny doing when she suddenly says she has to go to the hospital?
(a) Talking to Phil on the phone.
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Watching a movie.
(d) Washing dishes.
5. What type of apartment do Jenny and Oliver rent?
(a) A Hippie Pad.
(b) Very expensive.
6. What does Jenny insist on continuing?
(a) Her volunteer work at the public library.
(b) The housework and cooking.
(c) Her job as a teacher.
(d) Helping Oliver research his cases.
7. What does Oliver do about work?
(a) Quits his job.
(b) Tries to hide his personal life so he isn't fired.
(c) Tells his boss about Jenny and stops working.
(d) Works only half time.
8. What do they receive almost daily?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) Phone calls from Phil.
(d) Invitations to social events.
9. What does Oliver tell his father the reason is for needing the money?
(a) He hasn't asked his father for money.
(b) He doesn't tell him any reason.
(c) He tells him his car has broken down.
(d) He tells him he lost a bet at the races.
10. What does Jenny want Oliver to do?
(a) Talk to his father.
(b) Join the Peace Corps with her.
(c) Attend Harvard Sports events.
(d) Quit law school and start a job.
11. What does the taxi driver think is going on with Jenny?
(a) He isn't interested and makes no comments.
(b) She is going to visit her ill father.
(c) She is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) She is about to have a baby.
12. After a short while, what does Oliver decide he would like?
(a) A puppy.
(b) More vacation time.
(c) A child.
(d) A weekend home in the Poconos.
13. Why does Oliver become enraged?
(a) Jenny accepts the invitation instead of declining it.
(b) Oliver's father tells him not to call again.
(c) Jenny invites Oliver's parents over for lunch.
(d) Jenny tells his father that Oliver loves him.
14. Who is called back to the clinic?
(a) Both of them.
(b) Neither of them.
15. What does Oliver's father assume about why Oliver needs money?
(a) His father is not in the story here.
(b) He lost a bet at the world cup.
(c) He needs to rent a place for his mistress.
(d) He got some girl in trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oliver see coming into the lobby as he is leaving?
2. How might their spending be described?
3. What is the result of his ranking?
4. What has Jenny promised Phil?
5. What does Oliver do the first time they come to the apartment?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)