|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma Kurnitz see no point in doing?
2. For whom are the two men looking?
3. About what does Louie tell the boys not to worry?
4. How do the boys feel about the intruder?
5. What is taking place between Eddie and Grandma Kurnitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bella and Johnny's plan?
2. What does Grandma take away from Bella?
3. How much time has gone by?
4. How does the family react to Bella's news?
5. How does this scene begin?
6. What will Eddie be doing to pay back the loan shark?
7. What do the boys learn about their father?
8. How does the play end?
9. What do the boys like about their uncle?
10. What does Bella do, now that her plans have changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louie survives by outsmarting the system.
Part 1) How does he outsmart the system?
Part 2) From whom does he run and hide?
Part 3) Will he be successful in life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Grandma Kurnitz had shut down emotionally after the loss of two of her children.
Part 1) What is she beginning to realize about this behavior?
Part 2) How does she come to this realization?
Part 3) How does this realization affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 3
Eddie loved his wife unconditionally.
Part 1) What has her death done to the family?
Part 2) How does he sacrifice himself for her?
Part 3) How does his sacrifice affect his children? What is the outcome of his sacrifice?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)