|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is this character speaking?
2. What does Louie give the boys for keeping silent if anyone should come looking for him?
3. Why does Grandma Kurnitz reluctantly agree to Eddie's request?
4. Into where is Bella eager to invite Arty and Jay?
5. Where is it hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louie feel about being at Grandma's home? About what is Bella adamant?
2. How does the family react to Bella's news?
3. What does the letter mention about Eddie's health?
4. What are Jay's plans?
5. Describe the boys' exit.
6. What will Eddie be doing to pay back the loan shark?
7. How does this act open?
8. How does the scene open?
9. What role does Bella play in this scene?
10. What happens when the boys go to sleep at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eddie loved his wife unconditionally.
Part 1) What has her death done to the family?
Part 2) How does he sacrifice himself for her?
Part 3) How does his sacrifice affect his children? What is the outcome of his sacrifice?
Essay Topic 2
The family meeting is climactic.
Part 1) What is a climax?
Part 2) How is this meeting climactic?
Part 3) Compare the play up to this point to the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Bella's naÃ¯vetÃ© makes her seem like a child.
Part 1) How does this affect the way she treats Arty and Jay?
Part 2) What are her mother's thoughts on her behavior?
Part 3) Why is she child-like?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)