|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what can Grandma Kurnitz not listen?
(a) Any more of Bella's foolishness.
(b) Any more of Louie's yelling.
(c) Gert consoling Bella.
(d) The boys helping Bella.
2. Why is Grandma verbally battling with Arty?
(a) She loves to argue.
(b) To force Arty to drink the horrible mustard soup.
(c) They do not agree over what to have for dinner.
(d) Arty enjoys complaining to Grandma.
3. What can Eddie not allow his mother to see?
(a) His anger.
(b) Him leaving with the boys.
(c) The mother he has earned.
(d) He cannot let Grandma Kurnitz see him cry.
4. About whom do the boys talk?
(a) Uncle Louie.
5. What is Grandma Kurnitz forcing Arty to drink?
(d) Hot mustard soup.
6. How does Louie feel about this new restriction on his evening plans?
(a) He is slightly annoyed.
(b) He is uncomfortable with it.
(c) He is pleasantly surprised.
(d) He does not like it.
7. How does Louie feel about the news?
(b) Angry and upset.
8. Where is Uncle Louie?
(a) New York City.
(b) In Guadalcanal.
9. What does Louie share with the boys?
(a) A letter from their father.
(b) A piece of chocolate.
(c) His dinner.
(d) He will be leaving tonight.
10. What reason does Louie give the boys for why he is leaving town?
(a) It is too dangerous for him to stay.
(b) He cannot stand Grandma.
(c) His business is finished.
(d) He cares too much for the boys.
11. With what is Arty sick?
(c) A fever.
(d) Chicken pox.
12. Who is mildly consoling?
13. Why must Grandma Kurnitz come upstairs to get Jay?
(a) He fell down and cannot get up.
(b) He has not come down into the store to work.
(c) He is still sick.
(d) He will not come down.
14. How many months have gone by?
15. What does Bella say she was seeking?
(a) The warmth that was lacking in her childhood.
(b) A good man.
(c) A normal life.
(d) The chance to have a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jay help Bella convey?
2. What does the letter say?
3. What does Grandma Kurnitz think of Bella's news?
4. What does Grandma Kurnitz try to impress on her daughter?
5. Why must Jay help Bella convey her news?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)