|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has enlisted in the armed forces?
(a) Uncle Louie.
2. Where is Eddie, while the boys wait for him?
(a) At Uncle Louie's.
(b) In the south.
(c) Grandma Kurnitz's room.
(d) At work.
3. What does Jay help Bella convey?
(a) That she is going to marry Johnny.
(b) How frustrated she is with her mother.
(c) That she is no longer marrying Johnny.
(d) How much she loves her family.
4. Why does Louis share this with the boys?
(a) He wants the boys to know he is leaving in light of the phone message that Jay took.
(b) Grandma punished them with no dinner.
(c) He knows they love anything sweet.
(d) The boys love to hear from their father.
5. What does Jay reveal to Arty?
(a) He is going to ask Louie if he can go with him tonight.
(b) He worries about their father.
(c) He thinks Arty should go with Uncle Louie.
(d) He does not like Uncle Louie.
6. What does Bella want to tell everyone tonight?
(a) She wants to move out.
(b) She does not like her new job.
(c) She is going to be married.
(d) She is tired of the movie theatre.
7. Why must Grandma Kurnitz come upstairs to get Jay?
(a) He is still sick.
(b) He will not come down.
(c) He has not come down into the store to work.
(d) He fell down and cannot get up.
8. What does Bella bring up?
(a) The two children who died.
(b) Her mother's lack of intimacy.
(c) The lack of a father figure in Jay and Arty's lives.
(d) Louie's trouble with the men in the car.
9. What does Louis tell the boys?
(a) He needs a job.
(b) He is looking for the men in the black Studebaker.
(c) He wants them to come with him.
(d) He does not want any interaction with Grandma Kurnitz.
10. What kind of life does Bella want?
(a) One where she is not near her mother.
(b) One where there are lots of children.
(c) One where she can love somebody and know that that love will be returned.
(d) One where she has all the power and money.
11. What does Jay do as soon as Louie emerges from the shower?
(a) He yells at him.
(b) He pops the question about going with him.
(c) He gives him a gift.
(d) He surprises him.
12. Who are once more alone in the apartment?
(a) Bella and Grandma Kurnitz.
(b) Gert and Bella.
(c) Bella and Johnny.
(d) Louie and Bella.
13. How is Louie insulted?
(a) When Bella asks him to leave.
(b) When Grandma Kurnitz returns $100 that Louie had left on her bureau.
(c) When his mother tells him he is worthless.
(d) When the boys tell him they do not want him around anymore.
14. With what is Arty sick?
(a) A fever.
(b) Chicken pox.
15. How has Johnny's mind changed?
(a) He wants to move to another city.
(b) He prefers to stay at home with his parents and not marry.
(c) He does not want children.
(d) He does not want to open a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bella begin to do at the end of the scene?
2. What has Louie given her?
3. What can Eddie not allow his mother to see?
4. How does Louie feel about this new restriction on his evening plans?
5. What has happened to those who cannot deal with Grandma Kurnitz?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)