|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eddie have to leave the room?
(a) His mother asks him to leave.
(b) He is angry with his mother.
(c) He wants to see the boys.
(d) Before his emotions overtake him.
2. What kind of life does Bella want?
(a) One where there are lots of children.
(b) One where she has all the power and money.
(c) One where she is not near her mother.
(d) One where she can love somebody and know that that love will be returned.
3. Why does Grandma Kurnitz tell Louie that he is required to stay for dinner?
(a) She enjoys being in control.
(b) She made a large amount of food.
(c) At Bella's request.
(d) She does not want him to leave.
4. What reason does Louie give the boys for why he is leaving town?
(a) He cannot stand Grandma.
(b) His business is finished.
(c) He cares too much for the boys.
(d) It is too dangerous for him to stay.
5. How is Louie insulted?
(a) When the boys tell him they do not want him around anymore.
(b) When his mother tells him he is worthless.
(c) When Grandma Kurnitz returns $100 that Louie had left on her bureau.
(d) When Bella asks him to leave.
6. Why is Grandma verbally battling with Arty?
(a) She loves to argue.
(b) Arty enjoys complaining to Grandma.
(c) They do not agree over what to have for dinner.
(d) To force Arty to drink the horrible mustard soup.
7. What is Louie anxious to do?
(b) Take the boys with him.
(c) Move in.
(d) Talk to his mother.
8. How does Grandma Kurnitz react to what Bella divulges?
(a) She is not surprised.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is sad.
(d) She is horrified.
9. What does Bella bring up?
(a) Louie's trouble with the men in the car.
(b) The lack of a father figure in Jay and Arty's lives.
(c) The two children who died.
(d) Her mother's lack of intimacy.
10. Into what have the boys settled by this time?
(c) Receiving letters from their father.
(d) The household.
11. Why does he change his mind?
(a) He does not have the knowledge to raise children.
(b) He is tired of living in Yonkers.
(c) His parents' love is secure.
(d) He is nervous about owning a business.
12. Who will be happier than Bella and her siblings?
(a) Anyone else.
(b) Jay and Arty.
(c) Bella's children.
(d) The neighbors.
13. Where is Uncle Louie?
(b) In Guadalcanal.
(c) New York City.
14. How is Bella feeling about herself this moment?
(a) Completely unsure of herself.
(b) Very sure of herself.
(c) Angry at her mother.
15. What does Jay do as soon as Louie emerges from the shower?
(a) He gives him a gift.
(b) He pops the question about going with him.
(c) He yells at him.
(d) He surprises him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this scene begin?
2. How does Louie respond to this news?
3. For what does Eddie thank Grandma Kurnitz?
4. What does Louie share with the boys?
5. Why does Grandma have no need for the money from Louie?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)