|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Grandma verbally battling with Arty?
(a) Arty enjoys complaining to Grandma.
(b) To force Arty to drink the horrible mustard soup.
(c) They do not agree over what to have for dinner.
(d) She loves to argue.
2. What has happened to those who cannot deal with Grandma Kurnitz?
(a) They have not been affected by her.
(b) They suffer in some personal way from her lack of affection.
(c) They have moved out and never spoken to her again.
(d) They ignore her.
3. Who will be happier than Bella and her siblings?
(a) Jay and Arty.
(b) Bella's children.
(c) Anyone else.
(d) The neighbors.
4. Who are once more alone in the apartment?
(a) Louie and Bella.
(b) Bella and Grandma Kurnitz.
(c) Bella and Johnny.
(d) Gert and Bella.
5. What does Bella hope will happen?
(a) She can still marry Johnny.
(b) She and Grandma will never speak again.
(c) She and Grandma Kurnitz can talk things over.
(d) She can keep her job at the movie theatres.
6. What does Jay do as soon as Louie emerges from the shower?
(a) He gives him a gift.
(b) He pops the question about going with him.
(c) He yells at him.
(d) He surprises him.
7. Why must Jay help Bella convey her news?
(a) She fumbles.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She cannot speak.
8. What does Grandma Kurnitz think of Bella's news?
(a) It is foolishness.
(b) It is a good idea.
(c) It is a mature decision.
(d) It is not surprising.
9. What does she insist upon being?
(a) A girlfriend.
(b) A wife and mother.
(c) An independent woman.
(d) A career woman.
10. What is Grandma Kurnitz forcing Arty to drink?
(c) Hot mustard soup.
11. Why does Grandma have no need for the money from Louie?
(a) The money would be more useful when given to someone else.
(b) She knows he is poor.
(c) It was not earned honestly.
(d) She is very wealthy.
12. What does Louie share with the boys?
(a) A letter from their father.
(b) His dinner.
(c) A piece of chocolate.
(d) He will be leaving tonight.
13. With what is Arty sick?
(c) A fever.
(d) Chicken pox.
14. Where has Bella been staying?
(a) Her friend's.
(b) Aunt Gert's.
15. How do the family members respond to this news?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They do not understand.
(c) They are irritated.
(d) They are not surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is included with the letter from Eddie?
2. What are the boys doing?
3. Where is Eddie, while the boys wait for him?
4. About whom do the boys talk?
5. Why does Louis share this with the boys?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)