|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the boys react when their father tells them that they will be spending the next 10 months with their Grandmother?
(a) The boys' discomfort escalates.
(b) They cry.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are excited.
2. Why are the boys strangers to this place?
(a) Grandma Kurnitz never liked the boys' mother.
(b) They have been living out of the country since birth.
(c) Grandma Kurnitz has recently moved.
(d) Grandma Kurnitz is not their real grandmother.
3. Whose living room is it?
(a) Great Uncle Louie Kurnitz's.
(b) Grandma Kurnitz's.
(c) Arty Kurnitz's.
(d) Eddie Kurnitz's.
4. Describe Bella.
(a) Mentally and emotionally challenged.
(b) Bright and a know-it-all.
(c) Sad and nervous.
(d) Angry and mean.
5. From where does Bella arrive home?
(a) Her friend's home.
(c) Another afternoon at the movies.
6. What does Grandma do, regarding Bella?
(a) She sleeps right through.
(b) She talks to her in the morning.
(c) She writes her a letter.
(d) She hears her.
7. What is below the apartment?
(a) Kurnitz's Kool Store.
(b) Kurnitz's Kandy Store.
(c) Kurnitz's Kracker Jack Store.
(d) Kurnitz's Kiddy Store.
8. How must Bella feel as her mother chastises her?
(a) Angry and upset.
(b) Excited and anxious.
(c) Unsure and irritated.
(d) Bored and annoyed.
9. From what had Eddie's wife suffered?
(b) Birth defects.
(d) Mental illness.
10. With what good news is Bella bursting?
(a) The good news that she intends to marry Johnny.
(b) She got into night school.
(c) She is moving.
(d) She has a job at the movie theatre.
11. What does Bella enjoy doing?
(c) Going to see movies.
(d) Talking to her boyfriend.
12. By what is Grandma Kurnitz driven?
(a) Her driver.
13. What has the war done for Eddie?
(a) Caused him to lose his job.
(b) Killed his wife.
(c) It has paralyzed him from being thrown from his vehicle.
(d) It has provided a relatively high-paying job in scrap iron that would never have existed before.
14. Why does it fascinate them?
(a) She is unlike anyone they have ever met.
(b) He is funny, nice, and brings the boys candy.
(c) He is a smooth talker and carries a black satchel of money.
(d) They have never had a pet.
15. To whom is this character speaking?
(b) Arty and Jay.
(c) Grandma Kurnitz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Eddie keep working, even after hearing the doctor's diagnosis?
2. What is the war to Eddie?
3. Who is Johnny?
4. What does Louie divulge to the boys?
5. What has Eddie taken?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)