|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is this character speaking?
(b) Grandma Kurnitz.
(c) Arty and Jay.
2. From what had Eddie's wife suffered?
(b) Mental illness.
(d) Birth defects.
3. What has Eddie been forced to do?
(a) Borrow from a loan shark.
(b) Get a job as a coal miner.
(c) Steal from his neighbors.
(d) End his wife's treatments.
4. What does Grandma do after chastising Bella?
(a) She tells her to go see another movie.
(b) She takes the magazines and retreats to the bedroom.
(c) She tells her to break up with her boyfriend.
(d) She sends her to her room.
5. What does Louie do for Arty and Jay?
(a) He takes them with him.
(b) Puts them on his payroll.
(c) He calls their dad for them.
(d) He gives them a treat.
6. What does Grandma Kurnitz see no point in doing?
(a) Endorsing her daughter's dreams.
(b) Getting out of bed.
(c) Calling Eddie.
(d) Sending the boys to school.
7. By what is Grandma Kurnitz driven?
(a) Her driver.
8. What has Bella always wanted?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) To work at the movie theatre.
(c) Go to school.
(d) To be married and have children.
9. Why does Grandma Kurnitz especially see no point in doing this?
(a) The boys are educated enough.
(b) Her life is a waste.
(c) Eddie will not be coming home any time soon.
(d) Bella has a learning disability and is immature.
10. Why does it fascinate them?
(a) She is unlike anyone they have ever met.
(b) He is funny, nice, and brings the boys candy.
(c) He is a smooth talker and carries a black satchel of money.
(d) They have never had a pet.
11. How must Bella feel about movies?
12. Who is speaking at the beginning of the scene?
13. How could finding this help Bella?
(a) It would be an answer to her prayers.
(b) It would look pretty on her.
(c) It would help her solve the dead man's mystery.
(d) She could protect herself with it.
14. Whose feelings were mutual?
(a) The boys' mother's feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
(b) Louie's feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
(c) Eddie's feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
(d) The boys' feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
15. According to Grandma, what do nothing but create unrealistic dreams?
(c) Movies and movie magazines.
(d) Bachelor degrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Grandma and her daughter, Bella, work?
2. What is a new intrigue for the boys?
3. Who are Arty and Jay?
4. What does Bella enjoy doing?
5. Who is Johnny?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)