|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Grandma Kurnitz especially see no point in doing this?
(a) Her life is a waste.
(b) Eddie will not be coming home any time soon.
(c) The boys are educated enough.
(d) Bella has a learning disability and is immature.
2. By what is Grandma Kurnitz driven?
(a) Her driver.
3. Where are two strange men located?
(a) In the backyard.
(b) Around the block.
(c) By the school.
(d) Inside the black Studebaker.
4. What is the war to Eddie?
(a) Nothing new.
(b) Good news.
(d) Bad news.
5. What has the war done for Eddie?
(a) Caused him to lose his job.
(b) It has paralyzed him from being thrown from his vehicle.
(c) Killed his wife.
(d) It has provided a relatively high-paying job in scrap iron that would never have existed before.
6. What news does Eddie's doctor give?
(a) He has cancer.
(b) He is as healthy as a horse.
(c) He has an irregular heartbeat.
(d) He only has a few days to live.
7. What has Eddie been forced to do?
(a) Get a job as a coal miner.
(b) Steal from his neighbors.
(c) Borrow from a loan shark.
(d) End his wife's treatments.
8. What will Eddie be doing?
(a) Borrowing more money.
(b) Borrowing money from a loan shark.
(c) Going to jail.
(d) Selling scrap metal.
9. How does the scene open?
(a) Eddie is saying goodbye to his sons.
(b) Grandma Kurnitz is arguing with Bella.
(c) Two boys, Arty and Jay, sit uncomfortably on the couch waiting for their Father, Eddie, to emerge from Grandma's bedroom.
(d) Arty and Jay are eating candy in the store.
10. What is Louie for the boys?
(a) A breath of fresh air.
(b) A best friend.
(c) A nuisance.
(d) A strange house guest.
11. After what is Jay scrambling upstairs?
(a) An unsuccessful mission to find Grandma Kurnitz's hidden money.
(b) His brother during a game of tag.
(c) His pet rat that has escaped its cage.
12. How does the scene open?
(a) With Jay reading his father's letter.
(b) With the boys talking about their father.
(c) With Bella welcoming the boys to her home.
(d) With the voice-over of Eddie's letter.
13. What happens because the boys are not sure of their uncle's occupation?
(a) They tell the two men where to find their uncle.
(b) They call him and ask him.
(c) They let their imaginations work overtime.
(d) They worry about him.
14. According to Grandma, what do nothing but create unrealistic dreams?
(b) Bachelor degrees.
(d) Movies and movie magazines.
15. Whose feelings were mutual?
(a) Eddie's feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
(b) The boys' mother's feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
(c) The boys' feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
(d) Louie's feelings for Grandma Kurnitz.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandma Kurnitz feel?
2. Why will Eddie be doing this?
3. Why are these dreams unrealistic?
4. What have Arty and Jay received?
5. What does Louie divulge to the boys?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)