|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are two strange men located?
(a) By the school.
(b) Inside the black Studebaker.
(c) In the backyard.
(d) Around the block.
2. Why are their feelings short-lived?
(a) It is just Grandma.
(b) The man leaves quickly.
(c) The man introduces himself as their Uncle Louie.
(d) It is their father.
3. Why does he tell them not to worry?
(a) Bella is a strong woman.
(b) He and Eddie used to do the same thing when they were young.
(c) Eddie will be successful.
(d) He believes he has control over her life.
4. Why does it fascinate them?
(a) He is a smooth talker and carries a black satchel of money.
(b) They have never had a pet.
(c) He is funny, nice, and brings the boys candy.
(d) She is unlike anyone they have ever met.
5. How is Louie compared to Eddie?
(b) Completely different.
(c) Exactly the same.
6. Why is Bella able to understand this?
(a) She has felt the lack of love throughout her entire life.
(b) She knows Louie better than Louie knows himself.
(c) She is good with money.
(d) She loves Eddie.
7. Why are these dreams unrealistic?
(a) No one can attain these dreams.
(b) The people who have the dreams have no chance of attaining them.
(c) Only wealthy people can have dreams like that.
(d) Boyfriends will get you nowhere.
8. What has Eddie been forced to do?
(a) Steal from his neighbors.
(b) Get a job as a coal miner.
(c) Borrow from a loan shark.
(d) End his wife's treatments.
9. Why does the doctor diagnose Eddie with this?
(a) Eddie is extremely ill.
(b) It is due to stress.
(c) He found a lump.
(d) Horses are healthy.
10. What does Louie do for Arty and Jay?
(a) Puts them on his payroll.
(b) He gives them a treat.
(c) He calls their dad for them.
(d) He takes them with him.
11. What do the boys come to understand about their father?
(a) He is ready for a new wife.
(b) He is a dishonorable man.
(c) He is doing an honorable thing by taking this job.
(d) He will be staying with them.
12. For what is Eddie being treated?
(c) A cut.
13. With what good news is Bella bursting?
(a) The good news that she intends to marry Johnny.
(b) She has a job at the movie theatre.
(c) She is moving.
(d) She got into night school.
14. What would Jay do with it if he finds it?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Send it to Eddie.
(c) Call the police.
(d) Tell his Uncle Louie.
15. How does the scene open?
(a) With the boys talking about their father.
(b) With Bella welcoming the boys to her home.
(c) With the voice-over of Eddie's letter.
(d) With Jay reading his father's letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have Eddie and the boys been left?
2. How must Bella feel as her mother chastises her?
3. What does Grandma do after chastising Bella?
4. Why does Grandma chastise Bella?
5. For whom are the two men looking?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)