|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the boys react when their father tells them that they will be spending the next 10 months with their Grandmother?
(a) They are excited.
(b) The boys' discomfort escalates.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They cry.
2. What has happened to Eddie's wife?
(a) She has become very ill.
(b) She has died.
(c) She has disappeared.
(d) She has divorced him.
3. What does Grandma do after chastising Bella?
(a) She sends her to her room.
(b) She takes the magazines and retreats to the bedroom.
(c) She tells her to break up with her boyfriend.
(d) She tells her to go see another movie.
4. What is a new intrigue for the boys?
(a) A new kid on the block.
(c) A black Studebaker.
(d) Grandma's boyfriend.
5. What is Jay contemplating.
(a) The idea of searching for the dead body.
(b) The idea of searching for the money.
(c) The idea of searching for the weapon.
(d) The idea of searching for the jewelry.
6. What does the entry of a strange man into the apartment do to the boys?
(a) It goes unnoticed.
(b) It does not frighten them.
(c) It excites them.
(d) It awakens them.
7. What does Louie divulge to the boys?
(a) How Grandma Kurnitz shut down emotionally when two of her children died.
(b) He wants to take them with him when he leaves.
(c) He is on the run from the law.
(d) He found Grandma's treasure.
8. What does Grandma Kurnitz see no point in doing?
(a) Endorsing her daughter's dreams.
(b) Getting out of bed.
(c) Sending the boys to school.
(d) Calling Eddie.
9. What exists between Grandma Kurnitz and Bella?
(b) A chasm.
(c) A promise.
10. What is the setting of the play?
(a) 1842, Yonkers, Pennsylvania.
(b) 1942, Yonkers, Pennsylvania.
(c) 1842, Yonkers, New York.
(d) 1942 Yonkers, New York.
11. How does Eddie tell the boys?
(a) He writes a letter to his mother.
(b) In his letter to them.
(c) He calls them on the phone.
(d) He comes home to tell them.
12. At first, what does Louie tell the boys?
(a) He is moving in with them.
(b) He is married.
(c) The gun is not his.
(d) He is going to find Eddie.
13. What has Eddie been forced to do?
(a) End his wife's treatments.
(b) Steal from his neighbors.
(c) Borrow from a loan shark.
(d) Get a job as a coal miner.
14. Describe Grandma's life.
15. Why must Eddie keep working, even after hearing the doctor's diagnosis?
(a) He loves to work.
(b) He enjoys his job.
(c) He needs to pay back the loan shark.
(d) He does not feel as bad as the doctor makes his diagnosis sound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the boys strangers to this place?
2. What is Bella the only one who seems to understand?
3. Why does he tell them not to worry?
4. Where has Eddie's sales route taken him?
5. How does the scene open?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)