Act 1, Scene 1
• Lost in Yonkers is set in 1942 Yonkers, New York, in the living room in Grandma Kurnitz's upstairs apartment. Downstairs is Kurnitz's Kandy Store, where Grandma and her daughter, Bella, work.
• As the scene opens, two boys, Arty and Jay, sit uncomfortably on the couch waiting for their Father, Eddie, to emerge from Grandma's bedroom, where an important conversation is taking place.
• The boys are strangers to this place since Grandma Kurnitz never liked the boys' mother, a feeling that was completely mutual.
• The boys' discomfort escalates when their father tells them that they will be spending the next 10 months with their Grandmother.
• Eddie's wife's death from cancer has left the family deeply in debt, and Eddie has taken a job that requires him to travel for several months.
• Grandma Kurnitz has reluctantly agreed to keep the boys, only after Bella, who is mentally and emotionally challenged...
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)