|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is given to all the girls at Ming Quong on Mother's Day?
2. Which of these is a reason given by Chinese couples who adopted abandoned baby girls?
3. What Asian-American athlete does Evans cite as having been called "Beaten by an American"?
4. For what magazine does Jill Smolowe, adoptive mother and writer, work?
5. What Akira Kurosawa film that ends with the finding of a baby does Karin watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the quote,"How sad to be a woman! Nothing on earth is held so cheap" (poet Fu Hsuan). What does this mean? What connection does it have with the current state of affairs in China? Is it an accurate statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effects of poverty on China's women and girls and why it is germane to the discussion of adoption.
Essay Topic 3
What are the circumstances that have led to the wide disparity between the number of girls and boys in Chinese orphanages? Be sure to include both ancient influences and current conditions.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)