|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major news magazine runs a cover story on genealogy in 1999?
2. For whom does Karin's group of adoptive families have a potluck dinner?
3. What does "Ming Quong" mean?
4. Where is Karin when she has her first brush with the reality of her child not resembling her physically?
5. What is given to all the girls at Ming Quong on Mother's Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effects of poverty on China's women and girls and why it is germane to the discussion of adoption.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Chinese story "The Lost Mare" relate to Karin and Mark's adoption process? What other "signs" does Karin see as being related to her situation?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the quote,"How sad to be a woman! Nothing on earth is held so cheap" (poet Fu Hsuan). What does this mean? What connection does it have with the current state of affairs in China? Is it an accurate statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)