|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author refer to other girls adopted from China?
2. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
3. What are the "baiji"?
4. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
5. What do Chinese officials call women who flee their hometowns to give birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kelly's reaction to the film "Stuart Little"?
2. Describe Karin and Mark's first moments with their daughter.
3. What is Karin's conclusion about her baby's mother?
4. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
5. How do Karin and her daughter spend their first afternoon together?
6. Describe some of the initial policies used by the Chinese government to reduce the birthrate.
7. What are working conditions like in China?
8. What does Karin mention about the Cantonese people?
9. What do the families have to do on Shamian Island?
10. Why does Evans praise the Chinese state for its adoption program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is ironic about the packing that Karin and Mark do for their trip to China? Why? How does she feel about it?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Chinese story "The Lost Mare" relate to Karin and Mark's adoption process? What other "signs" does Karin see as being related to her situation?
Essay Topic 3
Please discuss at least two issues that are brewing in China at least in part due to the one-child policy and all of the lost daughters.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)