|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an item mentioned as having been found with an abandoned baby?
2. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
3. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
4. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
5. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is China's "dark side"?
2. What are some of the recommendations on packing for China that Karin and Mark choose not to use?
3. How does Karin's view of parenthood differ from Jill Ker Conway's?
4. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
5. What does Karin find in the middle of the night that is symbolic of her search for clues about her daughter's birth mother?
6. What unintended consequence could China's single-child policy have as the first generation of only children grows up?
7. What is, in Evans' mind, the most important finding to come out of a study on infant abandonment in China?
8. What are some of the things that Karin and Mark are told about Kelly?
9. What is the story that Karin has imagined about Kelly's birth mother?
10. What is SOS Kinderdorf International?
Essay Topic 1
What is the controversy over the condition of orphanages in China? Please give evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the story of the red thread and its significance to Chinese adoptees? How does Evans use this story in her own?
Essay Topic 3
The state of adoption in China, including which children are adopted, is influenced by many factors. Please name at least three and explain why and how they are influences.
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)