|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
2. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
3. What is on the necklace Karin buys in the farmers' market?
4. Which of these is NOT a traditional Chinese saying disparaging daughters?
5. What major event occurs three days before Mark and Karin leave for China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is China's "dark side"?
2. Why are girls expected to feel lucky just to be alive, particularly during the hardest times?
3. What are some of the effects of the "one-child policy" on baby girls?
4. What recent announcement about adoption has been made by President Clinton as Evans is writing her book?
5. What does May Wong see as the biggest difference between Chinese and American cultures?
6. Describe the experience Mark and Karin had at the local dog pound.
7. What is a "bicultural identity"?
8. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
9. Describe the card Karin and Mark receive from the orphanage where Kelly lived.
10. What kinds of things are in Karin's "shrine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the circumstances that have led to the wide disparity between the number of girls and boys in Chinese orphanages? Be sure to include both ancient influences and current conditions.
Essay Topic 2
What is ironic about the packing that Karin and Mark do for their trip to China? Why? How does she feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the group Families with Children from China so important? What do they do? Why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)