|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the British documentary about Chinese orphanages?
2. After a baby is born, what do rural Chinese people bury outside the home if it is a girl, and inside if it is a boy?
3. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
4. What major catastrophe occurs in China in the late 1950s?
5. What is the popular name of legendary heroine Fa Mu Lan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
2. Describe the traffic in Guanzhou at night.
3. What does Karin fear about her daughter's future trip to China to search for her roots?
4. What attempts are made during the Mao Zedong era to improve the lives of women?
5. How do Karin and Mark deliberately expose Kelly to her heritage?
6. What is the main way in which all Chinese adoptees' stories are similar?
7. Describe the experience Mark and Karin had at the local dog pound.
8. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
9. Describe the card Karin and Mark receive from the orphanage where Kelly lived.
10. Describe some of the initial policies used by the Chinese government to reduce the birthrate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe China's "one-child policy." Why does it start? Is that an accurate name? How is it enforced?
Essay Topic 2
What is the controversy over the condition of orphanages in China? Please give evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is adoption today different from adoption in the mid-twentieth century? What have today's adoptive parents learned from those now-grown adopted children?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)