|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
2. Who does Karin visit far up the Nathan Road?
3. About how long does it take for adoptive parents to move from the first meeting in an adoption agency to meeting their child?
4. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
5. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
2. What is the story that Karin has imagined about Kelly's birth mother?
3. Why does Evans praise the Chinese state for its adoption program?
4. Describe three ways in which Evans pictures Chinese adoptees growing up in the United States.
5. What are some of the effects of the "one-child policy" on baby girls?
6. What negative predictions accompany a forecast of a 20% shortage of marriageable young women?
7. Why are girls expected to feel lucky just to be alive, particularly during the hardest times?
8. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
9. What is China's "dark side"?
10. What does Karin mention about the Cantonese people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of the baiji. What are they? How is their story connected to those of abandoned Chinese baby girls?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the quote,"How sad to be a woman! Nothing on earth is held so cheap" (poet Fu Hsuan). What does this mean? What connection does it have with the current state of affairs in China? Is it an accurate statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the group Families with Children from China so important? What do they do? Why?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)