|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Women and people of low birth are hard to deal with"?
2. In an old Chinese proverb, what do people try to describe by touching one part of it?
3. What is an "iron rice bowl"?
4. During what dynasty is China's family system based on male lineage first laid out?
5. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the time Karin and Mark are adopting, what is the state of Chinese women's reproductive lives?
2. What is the "regrettable past" of Angel Island?
3. How do Karin and her daughter spend their first afternoon together?
4. What is the mission of Families with Children from China?
5. What is Harry Wu's objection to the Chinese adoption system?
6. How does Karin's view of parenthood differ from Jill Ker Conway's?
7. Why does Evans praise the Chinese state for its adoption program?
8. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
9. What recent announcement about adoption has been made by President Clinton as Evans is writing her book?
10. What does Karin find in the middle of the night that is symbolic of her search for clues about her daughter's birth mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the circumstances that have led to the wide disparity between the number of girls and boys in Chinese orphanages? Be sure to include both ancient influences and current conditions.
Essay Topic 2
What is ironic about the packing that Karin and Mark do for their trip to China? Why? How does she feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effects of poverty on China's women and girls and why it is germane to the discussion of adoption.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)