|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the period of Mao Zedong's reforms called?
2. What is China's overall ratio of boys to girls in 1998?
3. Into what city do Karin and Mark fly first?
4. Of what TV show does Mark say the "soy or milk" formula debate reminds him?
5. What is the local legend about the founding of Guanzhou?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karin's view of parenthood differ from Jill Ker Conway's?
2. What attempts are made during the Mao Zedong era to improve the lives of women?
3. What is Kelly's reaction to the film "Stuart Little"?
4. What are Karin's feelings toward Max?
5. What is the practical side of the Confucian family system that so heavily favors sons?
6. How do Karin and Mark feel about the rest of their group?
7. What unintended consequence could China's single-child policy have as the first generation of only children grows up?
8. What is Qigong?
9. What negative predictions accompany a forecast of a 20% shortage of marriageable young women?
10. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the comparison that Karin makes between her baby's footprint and the place of her birth?
Essay Topic 2
Do China's population and adoption laws encourage the abandonment of babies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are the circumstances that have led to the wide disparity between the number of girls and boys in Chinese orphanages? Be sure to include both ancient influences and current conditions.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)