Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the Law on Protection of Rights and Interests of Women go into effect?
2. What is a "hukou"?
3. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
4. Who is Mei Li?
5. What character does Mark name as his ideal father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karin and Mark feel about the rest of their group?
2. What does May Wong see as the biggest difference between Chinese and American cultures?
3. Describe the official paperwork Chinese babies who are adopted receive from the Chinese government.
4. Describe the two-tier system of adoption Karin mentions.
5. What is the story that Karin has imagined about Kelly's birth mother?
6. What is Kelly's reaction to the film "Stuart Little"?
7. What are some of the recommendations on packing for China that Karin and Mark choose not to use?
8. What negative predictions accompany a forecast of a 20% shortage of marriageable young women?
9. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
10. How do Karin and Mark deliberately expose Kelly to her heritage?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the quote,"How sad to be a woman! Nothing on earth is held so cheap" (poet Fu Hsuan). What does this mean? What connection does it have with the current state of affairs in China? Is it an accurate statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between Chinese and American culture as seen by a Chinese-American visiting China. Do you think Evans believes one is better than the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do China's population and adoption laws encourage the abandonment of babies? Explain.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)