|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mark and Karin find between their beds in the hotel room?
2. Who is China's second sage?
3. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
4. What is it called when the parents' dossiers are matched with a Chinese child?
5. Where is China's leader, Jiang Zemin, at the time Karin and Mark fly to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the recommendations on packing for China that Karin and Mark choose not to use?
2. What leads to the famine of 1958-61?
3. Why do Karin and Mark want to adopt a child?
4. Describe Karin and Mark's first moments with their daughter.
5. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
6. At the time Karin and Mark are adopting, what is the state of Chinese women's reproductive lives?
7. How do Karin and Mark deliberately expose Kelly to her heritage?
8. What are working conditions like in China?
9. What attempts are made during the Mao Zedong era to improve the lives of women?
10. Why do China's leaders push for a population control policy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Chinese story "The Lost Mare" relate to Karin and Mark's adoption process? What other "signs" does Karin see as being related to her situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe China's "one-child policy." Why does it start? Is that an accurate name? How is it enforced?
Essay Topic 3
What is ironic about the packing that Karin and Mark do for their trip to China? Why? How does she feel about it?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)