|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of the writing of the book, approximately how many Chinese-born girls are living in the United States?
2. In Adeline Yen Mah's memoir, what does she call a cheap commodity in China?
3. What is a "hukou"?
4. Which of these is NOT a source of the author's story?
5. What does Karin bury in her yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mission of Families with Children from China?
2. What are working conditions like in China?
3. Describe three ways in which Evans pictures Chinese adoptees growing up in the United States.
4. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
5. What is Kelly's reaction to the film "Stuart Little"?
6. What does Karin fear about her daughter's future trip to China to search for her roots?
7. What is SOS Kinderdorf International?
8. Why are the baiji in danger?
9. What are some of the effects of the "one-child policy" on baby girls?
10. Why does Evans doubt the appropriateness of using the word "abandonment" so often in reference to Chinese babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The state of adoption in China, including which children are adopted, is influenced by many factors. Please name at least three and explain why and how they are influences.
Essay Topic 2
What is ironic about the packing that Karin and Mark do for their trip to China? Why? How does she feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the group Families with Children from China so important? What do they do? Why?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)