|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used by midwives to smother newborn baby girls?
2. What is a natural ratio of boys to girls at birth?
3. What leader celebrated the idea of "glorious mothers having more babies"?
4. Which other country is NOT mentioned as a frequent home of Chinese adoptees?
5. What is the most common method used to commit suicide by Chinese rural women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons that Americans have turned more to international adoptions?
2. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
3. How does poverty affect children?
4. What kind of information is given to prospective parents after they are matched with a Chinese baby?
5. What is the mission of Families with Children from China?
6. What are some of the things that Karin and Mark are told about Kelly?
7. What negative predictions accompany a forecast of a 20% shortage of marriageable young women?
8. How do Karin and Mark feel about the rest of their group?
9. Why does Evans doubt the appropriateness of using the word "abandonment" so often in reference to Chinese babies?
10. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the story of the red thread and its significance to Chinese adoptees? How does Evans use this story in her own?
Essay Topic 2
What is the controversy over the condition of orphanages in China? Please give evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the quote,"How sad to be a woman! Nothing on earth is held so cheap" (poet Fu Hsuan). What does this mean? What connection does it have with the current state of affairs in China? Is it an accurate statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)