|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT mentioned as a place where babies are abandoned?
2. What is the name of the ship Karin watches sail under the Golden Gate Bridge?
3. Who is it that parents photograph at one orphanage where they are the first people to pick up the babies?
4. What American icon does Karin see painted on trashcans in Guanzhou?
5. When does the Chinese government's strict population-control policy go into effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karin and Mark deliberately expose Kelly to her heritage?
2. How do Karin and her daughter spend their first afternoon together?
3. Why do China's leaders push for a population control policy?
4. What do the families have to do on Shamian Island?
5. What kinds of things are in Karin's "shrine"?
6. What are working conditions like in China?
7. What are some of the circumstances that have created such a large amount of Chinese baby girls in orphanages?
8. What is the ancient Chinese proverb that Evans references?
9. What are some of the recommendations on packing for China that Karin and Mark choose not to use?
10. How is adoption different in the 1950s-70s?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the differences between Chinese and American culture as seen by a Chinese-American visiting China. Do you think Evans believes one is better than the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the controversy over the condition of orphanages in China? Please give evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Do China's population and adoption laws encourage the abandonment of babies? Explain.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)